• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Zombie Land Saga is Anime General Election 2018's Top Show

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this means we can get a second season. Very Happy

Last edited by SpacemanHardy on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks like it's time for us to quit saying that Japanese anime fans have bad taste (or, on the flipside, that they have superior taste due to lack of "Western morals"). My only gripe with that list is that Goblin Slayer is on it, but it's pretty popular overseas too, for reasons I can't comprehend.

I do feel like the women-side kinda missed out on A Place Further etc., though, probably because it looks too much like a cute-girls show... Wait, hold on. It is on their list, at #9; Slime is #10. May want to fix that?
Flü

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
ZLS really deserves that top spot. Such a great show, both by itself and on the meta-level surrounding it.

Goblin Slayer being so high isn't really that surprising, if maybe not really deserving in terms of quality.
The first episode (as artistically questionable as it might've been) being extremely effective PR instantly drew in a large audience and then the show turned out to be a solid and very straight-forward, low-scale fantasy-adventure series, a genre that has been very barren for a while, between all the tamer stuff and Isekai series.

Also it is interesting how much the female audience loved Cells at Work!! and Pop Team Epic.
Zapdos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
What’s the total amount of voters?
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Bloom into you is number 10 overall but didn't get into the top 10 for either men or women. How does that work? Confused
Random Name

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Looks like it's time for us to quit saying that Japanese anime fans have bad taste
How exactly can someone have bad taste? Its laughably stupid to believe ones personal preferences are any better then someone else's.
feitan000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
lmao/10
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Tomarun janēzo" ("Don't you ever stop." Quote by Orga Itsuka from Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans)

I know saying "I wonder how Japanese fans generally feel about this show" is about as vague and less than helpful a thing to say as "I wonder how American fans generally feel about this show" - but really, I thought Orga was actually somehow legit popular until it was pointed out to me that this whole thing is part of a meme dunking on the guy.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
It's sad not seeing Darling in the Franxx on any lists. Crying or Very sad
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:28 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Bloom into you is number 10 overall but didn't get into the top 10 for either men or women. How does that work? Confused

It could have happened by it being close to rank 10 for both men and women, with the bottom ranks for men and women individually being unbalanced.

Like look at the two 10th places for men and women individually. For men, it's Uma Masume. Let's say for example it got 100 votes from men, and 10 from women, for 110 total.

The 10th place for women is actually That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (the ANN article is missing an entry currently so it shows Slime as 9th, but that's an error). Let's say that similarly to Uma Masume, Slime isekai got 100 votes from women, and 10 from men, for a total of 110 total.

Now let's say that Bloom Into You got 75 votes from men, and also 75 from women. That wouldn't be enough to make the top 10 for either of them individually. But, added together, that's 150 votes total, more than either Uma Masume or Slime isekai got.

Obviously my numbers are just something I made up for example, but there are actually quite a few combinations that would have resulted in Bloom Into You showing up on the overall top 10.

For a similar thing, look at Zombie Land Saga. It's number 1 overall, but it was number 2 for men and number 3 for women. Despite not being number 1 for either group individually, the fact that both men and women liked it near equally pushed it above any other contender.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:38 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
How exactly can someone have bad taste? Its laughably stupid to believe ones personal preferences are any better then someone else's.

The people who say that are generally bitter the shows they like aren't popular, that's all.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:06 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
It's sad not seeing Darling in the Franxx on any lists. Crying or Very sad

It was a good anime until the last enemy and the rushed ending. A top 20 show, but not good enough to be a top 10.
S0crates

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Pop Team epic is 6th... The men even voting in Uma Musume in top 10th, and they didn't even bother showing the women's nr. 10.

I dunno guys, somehow I don't think this is a scientific vote

Last edited by S0crates on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that Golden Kamuy only made the women's list. I mean, I'm female and loved Golden Kamuy, but despite the JoJo-esque "manservice," (which is not why I liked it, but I could see how it might appeal to some women and turn off some men) it's based on a seinen manga and I would think it would have more mainstream appeal to both genders equally. (Not that this poll is scientific or anything)
Kicksville wrote:
Quote:
"Tomarun janēzo" ("Don't you ever stop." Quote by Orga Itsuka from Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans)

I know saying "I wonder how Japanese fans generally feel about this show" is about as vague and less than helpful a thing to say as "I wonder how American fans generally feel about this show" - but really, I thought Orga was actually somehow legit popular until it was pointed out to me that this whole thing is part of a meme dunking on the guy.

Interesting! Can you share the meme?
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Hinamatsuri shut out. I'm surprised it didn't get in one poll. For me, one of the funniest anime's I've ever seen, and at the same time, most tender. That, A Place Further in the Universe and Bunny Sempai have been my favs this year, with Golden Kumay, Slime and Zombie Saga Honorable Mentions. Guilty Pleasure? Franxx, (yeah, I know..... Embarassed )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2