• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Roommate is a Cat (TV)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote

My Roommate is a Cat (TV)

Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy
Themes:

Plot Summary
Quote:
The story of Mikazuki Subaru, a novelist who is shy and struggles in relationships with other people, and a cat who was dumped by humans and lived a tough life on the streets. Through a twist of fate, the two of them end up living together. This heartwarming tale illustrates day-to-day life through the eyes of both man and cat. These moments seem trivial, but as they build upon themselves, the two become family and find happiness in their life together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Episode 1

I have to admit, this was a better start than I had expected. Character interactions looked natural, animation looks decent, and it's pretty lighthearted. For a slice of life, I also got the impression of that too.

Oh and we got the cat of course!

Loved the realism of the show so far. I want more!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
I did like the swapped perspective.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the shows I was a bit iffy about, but I'm glad that I decided to watch the first episode. This is definitely my relaxing anime for the season!
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
This show wasn't even on my radar (I generally don't go for straight comedy or slice of life, let alone the two combined), but Crunchy seemed a bit obsessed with it, so I decided to check it out. It's cute, I'll keep it up!
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:08 am Reply with quote
Already loving it.

The A-Side and B-Side perspectives makes for an adorable way to tell a story.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Dam, i wish that come out 15 years earlier! I was an introvert who keeped an Cat then, but for some Reason we split apart Razz Its awesome and an very good Start in the new Saison.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
I wasn't so sold on it at the start, but I have grown to really like this show. I was afraid it would be kind of lowbrow manipulation, but I think that it has turned out pretty insightful, keeping to the somewhat limited understanding a pet could have, and misunderstandings, but also bonding that feels like it has gone at an organic pace. And cute.

Episode 7

I wonder if fellow introverts felt an as strong connection to this episode as me, linking to the idea that opposed to extroverts that can feel filled with energy from interaction, introverts feel drained. Him just collapsing at the end of the kids and stuff, it just felt so real for how it can be for us introverts from some socializing. And yet, there tends to be an overreaction where people will think that the extrovert hated it, because they were simply so uncomfortable and stuff, yet I can say that is not entirely the case. This as by the fact that despite being drained by the whole thing, he also seemed to have some fun, by the fact that he started considering doing the autograph signing.

That kind of felt like one of the most true to life things as an introvert I can express. As a barrier you express no interest in doing something that is past your comfort zone, because you will probably have a panic attack or something. Then you do something a bit out of your comfort zone while not too bad, realize you kind of had fun despite it not easy, and think that you could manage to do something you would never have thought you could. To an introvert with social anxiety, meeting a whole lot of new people can feel like you are bungie jumping, so it can feel like a big leap to walk into such a situation.

Haru was also super cute in this episode in playing with the kids.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that the Haru segments are still the best part of the show for me. Aside from Nana, I feel pretty meh about all of the human characters.

Anyway, I got kind of irritated watching the newest episode, especially as an introvert. I can't freaking stand it when people show up unannounced. As soon as the three kids appeared I worried about Haru. Her expressions were great though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I guess the end needed some big event, which was Haru accidentally getting out to look for Subaru, and him having to find her in the rain. I would say all fair, it was a nice emotional moment of them find each other, but I don't know what else to say about it. The show was fun, I quite enjoyed it with the showing the duality between a pet (cat) and their owner, interesting insight.

I am kind of at a loss what else to really focus on the show. In general its look did the job, Haru with her voice and general personality was probably the more interesting, whether proud and elegant, or a bit of a dork. The show got the pet thing down.

I give it a rating of Good (7/10), worth seeing.
poltroon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect to like this show, but I really did. It became our favorite soothing anime of the week. I love that Haru is very cat-like but not overly cute, and I enjoyed watching Subaru grow and deal with the world as an introvert that doesn't really tolerate introverts. It was fun to get the events from both Subaru and Haru's perspectives.

I can't say it's profound or groundbreaking, but I certainly enjoyed it and I'd wear a Haru t-shirt. I would love to see another season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1