• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece Creator: The End is Near, But Series Will Be Just Over 100 Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzy Pickles!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Akashiya also asked Oda about the goal of the main characters in the story, the titular "One Piece" treasure. Akashiya asked if the treasure was "family bonds," and Oda replied, "No, I hate that kind of thing." Oda elaborated, saying, "That's like the ending of The Wizard of Oz, which I watched when I was a kid. Adventuring that long, and having the adventure itself be the treasure, is really dissatisfying. Those kinds of stories are impossible. It feels like, 'I've gone on this long adventure, so give me the treasure!'"
I might actually read the manga now. The story needs some sort of special pay-off if it's lasted for over two decades.
UncouthFive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
THANK GOD
Really?
Adv193

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Way I am thinking about this is that after Wano Country there is likely going to be a huge war afterwards since there is still a missing Road Poneglyph that needs to be found.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote
If Oda's statement of "soon" is a light at the end of the tunnel, then that light is like the Sun as seen from Pluto, with a LONG tunnel in between.

As for the comment about Bleach: Tite was given plenty of time to wrap up his series, but refused to believe that SJ would really end it, so he dilly-dallied. Then, when he realized that SJ really was serious, he had to rush the ending, leaving something that satisfied almost no one. (I'm sure some fanboys convinced themselves it was the greatest ending ever, but there's a reason that "fan" is short for fanatic.)

SJ isn't going to cancel One Piece, so Oda won't ever have to worry about rushing his ending, unless maybe he comes down with a terminal illness or something similar. (Don't laugh, that happened to the author of a series I was following (Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time.))
DrewH90

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:05 am Reply with quote
just over 100 volumes lol it'll be at volume 100 by the time Wano itself ends.
then we have Elbaph, Raftela nd Final War to go, what's he gonna to squash all of that material into 3-5 volumes, no way this ends before voluem 120.

i expect all these arcs to be at least 2 years each in length. anything else would be a huge disappointment for how much build up these 3 arcs have had.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:18 am Reply with quote
Its cute that he believes that, but I think we all know there is no way in hell its going to end that soon.

I do like that he won't do the adventure is the treasure bs. I mean it is to a degree, but it definitely wouldn't be super satisfying if it was the only thing we get at the end.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:21 am Reply with quote
DrewH90 wrote:
just over 100 volumes lol it'll be at volume 100 by the time Wano itself ends.
then we have Elbaph, Raftela nd Final War to go, what's he gonna to squash all of that material into 3-5 volumes, no way this ends before volume 120.

i expect all these arcs to be at least 2 years each in length. anything else would be a huge disappointment for how much build up these 3 arcs have had.

Yeah, with that much content remaining, unless Oda decides to crunch it, I'm expecting One Piece to end around the 1400 Chapter mark, maybe 1500 for a nice round number.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Just over 100 Volumes.

Translation: 130
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
Just over 100 Volumes.

Translation: 130

Easily. The only way it ends around volume 100 is if he something similar to Fairy Tail and ends One Piece and then comes back a couple months later with One Piece: Part II which would then run for another 25-50 volumes.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
If Oda's statement of "soon" is a light at the end of the tunnel, then that light is like the Sun as seen from Pluto, with a LONG tunnel in between.

As for the comment about Bleach: Tite was given plenty of time to wrap up his series, but refused to believe that SJ would really end it, so he dilly-dallied. Then, when he realized that SJ really was serious, he had to rush the ending, leaving something that satisfied almost no one. (I'm sure some fanboys convinced themselves it was the greatest ending ever, but there's a reason that "fan" is short for fanatic.)

SJ isn't going to cancel One Piece, so Oda won't ever have to worry about rushing his ending, unless maybe he comes down with a terminal illness or something similar. (Don't laugh, that happened to the author of a series I was following (Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time.))

One Piece is a cash cow franchise. They won't kill it like they did Bleach. Oh, and I found out some stuff about Bleach that really upset me recently. The ending was rushed and pretty much left a bad taste in a lot of longtime fans' mouths but the real insult was that the Can't Fear Your Own World novel resolved a lot of plot points that should've been done in the manga obviously and it really rubbed everyone the wrong way.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:
Oh, and I found out some stuff about Bleach that really upset me recently. The ending was rushed and pretty much left a bad taste in a lot of longtime fans' mouths but the real insult was that the Can't Fear Your Own World novel resolved a lot of plot points that should've been done in the manga obviously and it really rubbed everyone the wrong way.

A bit OT, but: that was Tite's fault. SJ *told* him that Bleach was being cancelled and to wrap it up, but he didn't believe them. Then, when he had no choice but to believe them, it was too late: he had to rush the ending, which satisfied almost no one. Not that the final arc was very good, IMO. In fact, I thought it was all downhill after the Soul Society Arc, but there were still good parts until that last arc, which was just... well, I'll just leave it at that.

Fortunately, that's not something Oda is going to have to worry about happening to him.
demiplayer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:46 pm Reply with quote
It would be funny if one piece turned out to be a dragon ball. And the series turned out to be somewhere in dragon ball universe just different planet. Laughing

Well that definitely something that can turn the world upside down and something dangerous to have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2