• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NGT48 Idol Maho Yamaguchi Apologizes for Speaking Out After Alleged Assault

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
It still doesn't matter regardless in all of this. She's human. Even if she did make a mistake or not in speaking still has no right for her to say sorry and what she said. It's downright cruel to her and that she will think that she can never go to any one of her troubles or greatly hurt herself....

That's not how the law works.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
I have no idea why she felt the need to apologize. She clearly wasn't in the wrong for this! What the heck???

You don't know that. For example, if management had reached a deal with these two individuals and settled out of court, publicly announcing the incident at all could be breaking part of the settlement. It's also possible the incident might not have happened this way officially and she may have put the company in line for a possible defamation lawsuit. There's all sorts of reasons why it's not wise to publicly talk about a situation like this.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't talking about the law in this case. Maybe in the eyes of the law she's in the wrong, but I have zero problems with her speaking out when she felt her agency did nothing; after all, it was her personal safety at risk, not theirs.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
This is just disgusting. **** idol culture and everything it stands for.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

You don't know that. For example, if management had reached a deal with these two individuals and settled out of court, publicly announcing the incident at all could be breaking part of the settlement. It's also possible the incident might not have happened this way officially and she may have put the company in line for a possible defamation lawsuit. There's all sorts of reasons why it's not wise to publicly talk about a situation like this.

Yes, if you make up facts, it's possible that things didn't happen the way they've been reported.

Since you're such an expert on the Japanese legal system, perhaps you could elaborate on your point -- how could the company settle on her behalf in such a way that she's legally bound not to say anything? Is that normal in Japanese law?[/spoiler]
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

Yes, if you make up facts, it's possible that things didn't happen the way they've been reported.

gloverrandal wrote:
That's not how the law works.

Since you're making a definitive claim about what Japanese law says, I assume you have a law degree and have passed the Japanese bar. Since you're an expert, perhaps you could elaborate on your point -- how could the company settle on her behalf in such a way that she's legally bound not to say anything? Is that normal in Japanese law?

Last edited by Utsuro no Hako on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
This is why I hate IDOL CULTURE!

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
I have no idea why she felt the need to apologize. She clearly wasn't in the wrong for this! What the heck???

WOW. You have COMPLETELY confused civil law and criminal law. o.O So, let's be clear here, in CRIMINAL LAW, there are no 'out of court settlements'. Civil settlements are the realm of CIVIL LAW, not CRIMINAL LAW. o.O

So, to be clear here, CIVIL LAW suits are settled out of court, CRIMINAL PROSECUTION is not. This is why you've never heard of a murder or rape trial concluded by being 'settled out of court'.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:24 am Reply with quote
Seems pretty clear that she was told to keep her mouth shut because her company was afraid that if it got out, it would make her "damaged goods" and she'd lose value, which meant *they* would lose value. This whole "code of silence" thing isn't just found in the Idol Industry, either. It's in many areas throughout Japanese culture. Heck, the first chapter of Persona 5 was basically about this very thing, and that was in a high school setting. The whole "don't stand out" and "don't cause other people trouble" mentality has a few good points, but it also has a very ugly side to it.

I feel sorry for this girl. I think what happened to her is disgusting and shameful.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:16 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
This is just disgusting. **** idol culture and everything it stands for.

You said it, friend. Having a victim apologize? **** the scumbags who concocted this. It's despicable and exemplifies the twisted hellscape that is idol culture.
Doomroar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 am Reply with quote
This is [expletive] priceless Japan is such a treasure of an upside world, is the perfect example for rape culture.

She had to apologise for speaking up about being assaulted!
Daisylock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:48 am Reply with quote
Why was my post calling out the racist anti-Japanese remarks in this thread deleted? System error or intentional?
Echii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:34 am Reply with quote
The suspect were released. In other words there is no evidence that the assaults happened
nerei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:56 am Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
The suspect were released. In other words there is no evidence that the assaults happened

Wow, you're so naive/wilfully ignorant that it is almost funny.

Criminals everywhere have gotten away with a lot more evidence than this, and they're mostly guys. How often have we heard about experiences from assault victims and how many of those times are their attackers actually convicted?
Echii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
nerei wrote:
Echii wrote:

Wow, you're so naive/wilfully ignorant that it is almost funny.

Criminals everywhere have gotten away with a lot more evidence than this, and they're mostly guys. How often have we heard about experiences from assault victims and how many of those times are their attackers actually convicted?

Woman punch herself to frame husband for domestic violence. She was even caught by camera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJwsIB0mwLk

I can also show you many example for women falsely accusing men of rape, and someone of those men got prisons sentence
THis one example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP2syWS-2M0

Quote:
Criminals everywhere have gotten away with a lot more evidence than this

And what is the evidence in this case ?! Woman saying that she got assaulted is not an evidence at all.

Quote:

How often have we heard about experiences from assault victims and how many of those times are their attackers actually convicted?

If there is solid evidence, I'm sure they would get convicted

There is something called innocent until proven guilty
Spooky Blades

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
Why the fck she is the one that has to apologize?! so they attacked her, assault her and because she is in an idol group, an agency, she have to apologize for that?! thats bullshit! i really hope they didn't force her to do this, the idol world in japan is a shithole man.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3