• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Rising of The Shield Hero Anime Listed With 25 Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:32 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
and the author actually doesn't hate women...

I was going to avoid this topic because I had hopes that the plot would actually take what it made in episode 1 and build on it in a positive and meaningful way. But I read ahead and it just gets worse. Spoilers for way ahead, not sure if it will be covered by the anime or not since pacing could change. spoiler[ Shield Hero literally says his "heart is put at ease" as he watches a woman get raped and murdered]. Just watching episode 1 it may be too early to assume the author is a misogynist, though there are many signs. But the more I read of the LN the more clear it becomes. The story reads like a self-insert fantasy of an extreme misogynist. The later events are impossible to defend and I hope the anime gets that far just so I can watch the attempts people make to defend such vileness.

Is the spoiler something that actually happens? Or are they purposefully misconstruing something to further their hate for the series?

HoboSoup they're miss-remembering a scene from the web novel.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:44 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Ah interesting.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:06 am Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

I was going to avoid this topic because I had hopes that the plot would actually take what it made in episode 1 and build on it in a positive and meaningful way. But I read ahead and it just gets worse. Spoilers for way ahead, not sure if it will be covered by the anime or not since pacing could change. spoiler[ Shield Hero literally says his "heart is put at ease" as he watches a woman get raped and murdered]. Just watching episode 1 it may be too early to assume the author is a misogynist, though there are many signs. But the more I read of the LN the more clear it becomes. The story reads like a self-insert fantasy of an extreme misogynist. The later events are impossible to defend and I hope the anime gets that far just so I can watch the attempts people make to defend such vileness.

Wow. Just....wow! I'm starting to think the author has some serious issues they need to work out

Nordhmmer wrote:

Seriously....Verne,Lovecraft,Burroughs,Howard,Tolkien,Herbert,Jordan and so on..Centuries worth of fantasy & sci-fi,all with depictions sex,slavery and violence and Shield Hero gets singled out..

There is no need to mention them, because they are not relevant to this conversation.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:21 am Reply with quote
So about how many volumes will be adapted?
Personally, i think five with the 13th episode being spoiler[the fight against Glass]
Gabriel Augusto Vidigal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:27 am Reply with quote
This is nice, it's probably gonna be one of the best anime this year, so I am glad it will stick for half a year.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:28 am Reply with quote
Nait726 wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Is the spoiler something that actually happens? Or are they purposefully misconstruing something to further their hate for the series?

I've only read the manga and nothing like this has happened. Not sure if the light novel is different but based off what I've read that seems very far fectehed from the tone of the series.

The spoiler does happen much later in the Web Novel, but takizawa is purposely putting it out of context. Its not a random woman this is done to it's the first princess who by that time has done far worse things than just betray him.
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:50 am Reply with quote
Man sometimes authors just write shit to try to make a great story and they don’t feel any type of way or another mal just makes the craziest assumptions . There are stories for everyone let whoever likes those stories read them and if you don’t it’s simple you don’t have to read or watch the anime but for god sake stfu already it’s getting ridiculous
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
The spoiler does happen much later in the Web Novel, but takizawa is purposely putting it out of context. Its not a random woman this is done to it's the first princess who by that time has done far worse things than just betray him.

Thanks for the information. spoiler[I don't think she should be sexually assaulted and what the main character says is messed up. She should be arrested or if she dies as a result of her actions it might be a justifiable death, however the sexual assault is 100% wrong.]

Having a main character say and think messed up things isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on how it's written. It's fine to dislike certain aspects of a main character or even think they're terrible as a whole. I don't know much about the series and I'm not a fan personally, but I don't think it's good when people jump to conclusions about the author and generalize the fans. There's lots of different people with different perspectives, lots of different fans of the series that have different takes. Like the fans that are hopeful he'll progress over the story and become a better person. There's also the in my opinion worst kind of fans that think the spoiler[sexual assault is "deserved", I'd strongly disagree with those fans since I don't think anyone should be assaulted no matter how awful of a person they are.]

I think both sides arguing generalize too much. Since both sides have a lot of various viewpoints, don't assume anyone that likes the series is a misogynist, and don't assume anyone that dislikes it is a white knight/social extremist. At the end of the day if you enjoy the series then you should watch/read it, if you don't enjoy it then don't watch/read it. It's a fictional series and being the taste police only draws attention to the very thing you dislike. Plus even if you hate the series you should defend people's right to watch/read it because censorship is bad.

Last edited by HoboSoup on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:16 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:02 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Yeah, they miss remembered that. SPOILER HEAVY AND PLOT MIGHT CHANGE IN THE LN
spoiler[Basically Naofumi want to Myne to be sentenced to death, But the queen cannot sentence a princess to death for political reason. The queen then suggested to marry myne to a nearby Pig King infamous of using his wive as a "toy" and "break" it often.

Naofumi agreed on the condition that there must be a recorded evidence of Myne's death.
After 2 weeks the the pig king send a recorded video of Myne's "torture" at the hand of the Pig king till she died.

Not sure where in the world that "heart is put at ease" statement even came from because it surely is not in the WN translation I read.

Naofumi's monologue when watching the video is like this
"Honestly there is nothing more disgusting in this world. But I have to see Witch's (Myne) last days through the end. It seemed the king himself graciously let it be recorded. Something about driving Witch into further despair...he was really a human filth"

The final monologue of the chapter
"Like this, i finally cut my ties with Witch...It was so abrupt that it seems anti-climactic. it doesn't seem real."

Taken from chapter 251-252 of the WN translation
]

The list of crime heavy spoiler:
spoiler[
- False rape accusation
- Multiple Killing attempt on the Shield Hero
- Murder attempt on her own little sister
- Falsely accused Shield hero of brainwashing people
- Murder attempt on her own Mother
- Betrayal (twice?) to spear hero and making him stupid (literaly)
- Betrayal to the Sword Hero and scarred him for life emotionally
- Making The Bow Hero an Invalid
- Attempting Rebellion

And many more that i cannot remember
]

Last edited by #891509 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 am Reply with quote
#891509 wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Yeah, they miss remembered that. SPOILER HEAVY AND PLOT MIGHT CHANGE IN THE LN
spoiler[Basically Naofumi want to Myne to be sentenced to death, But the queen cannot sentence a princess to death for political reason. The queen then suggested to marry myne to a nearby Pig King infamous of using his wive as a "toy" and "break" it often.

Naofumi agreed on the condition that there must be a recorded evidence of Myne's death.
After 2 weeks the the pig king send a recorded video of Myne's "torture" at the hand of the Pig king till she died.

Not sure where in the world that "heart is put at ease" statement even came from because it surely is not in the WN translation I read.

Naofumi's monologue when watching the video is like this
"Honestly there is nothing more disgusting in this world. But I have to see Witch's (Myne) last days through the end. It seemed the king himself graciously let it be recorded. Something about driving Witch into further despair...he was really a human filth"

The final monologue of the chapter
"Like this, i finally cut my ties with Witch...It was so abrupt that it seems anti-climactic. it doesn't seem real."

Taken from chapter 251-252 of the WN translation
]

Well then...spoiler[Just hiring an assassin to kill her if her deeds are indeed punishable by death would be more than enough. Abusing her is gross and completely unnecessary.]
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
^^^
None of these events make it to the light novel so discussion is mostly moot.
It's not unheard of for major changes to be made between web and light novels.
Overlord, Kumo desu, Slime, all started as web novels and have made some big changes.
For instance, in Overlord III the spoiler[fate of the blond mage adventurer was much worse in the web novel.

]
At this point the web novels are basically a rough draft, so you risk confusing or even misleading yourself by reading them now.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:29 am Reply with quote
Much like goblin slayer the injustice dilemma would die out by ep 5 and it won't be brought up much for this arc.

At 25 episodes it would seem that the adaptation for most most part will be 1 chapter per episode based on how the manga adapted the first arc of shield hero from the novel. The manga adapted the first arc in 32 chapters and ep 1 adapted the first 2 already so yeah this is the best pace to adapt this arc and i can say this will be a faithfull adaptation.

Regarding the web novel. The original author has already changed things from the web novel version so don't be so sure it will be the same and those saying that the author is a woman. the truth is we dont know what gender they are but i will add this:

THe one doing the manga version is a woman 100% so you got a female artist who read the novel version and still decided to adapt it and drawing the scenes in the way she imagined so if she was not turned off by it why should you? I swear The Millennial and Generation Z era are to sensitive to things when they have not seen the real controversial stuff of the past this is nothing compared to those.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
^^^
None of these events make it to the light novel so discussion is mostly moot.
It's not unheard of for major changes to be made between web and light novels.
Overlord, Kumo desu, Slime, all started as web novels and have made some big changes.
For instance, in Overlord III the spoiler[fate of the blond mage adventurer was much worse in the web novel.

]
At this point the web novels are basically a rough draft, so you risk confusing or even misleading yourself by reading them now.

Absolutely correct. That's why it is pissing me off when people are basing the anime's plot on the WN when it is obviously going to use the more polished and commercially friendly LN version.

Another example of WN to LN changes from another title that might trigger some people if they know the WN part.
spoiler[Lazy Dungeon Master WN version has the character Meat Kuroinu, a little beastgirl, becoming sex slave for bandits. In the LN version Meat managed to avoid that]
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Man I can’t wait for the discussion to totally die by episode 5 so the fanbase can waste 20 boring weeks on their lonesome trying to convince themselves it’s the next SAO.

Scores on MAL: 8.4 for LN, 8.25 for manga, currently 8.47 for anime

I think you mean, "...so the fanbase can enjoy the anime of a franchise they enjoy without the regressive left saying they're not allowed to."
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Kaori Makimura wrote:
The main character isn't 'misogynistic'.
He despises ALL residents of the world that he was called to, so he's reluctant to help or care.

This occurs less than three minutes into the show, long before anyone has betrayed or abused him.

How about reading,at the very least,the Shield Hero Fandom Wiki.Garner a little in-depth info and then begin your holy crusade.The MC drops a little foreshadowing by calling her a slut.That princess is the main antagonist,or did you not notice?

Is it actually established she's a villain by the time he makes that comment? Since you didn't contradict that this does happen less than three minutes in, I have trouble believing his comment was justified with the knowledge he had at that moment. That's like saying if Obi-Wan had punched Palpatine in the face in Episode 2 randomly and people were all, "but we know he's a Sith so it's okay!" Yeah, but obviously Obi-Wan didn't and the supposed hero just assaulted someone for no reason.

But really it's irrelevant to me if he did know she was corrupt or not, I don't care what the person has done, I consider it a misogynistic phrase as almost always its used by people to demean women who DARE to have a very sexually active lifestyle and/or dress in a revealing fashion but at the same time those people who say it then don't use the phrase at all to men who live and/or dress that same way. I mean, if the villain were black and the MC used a certain word to describe him, are we supposed to ignore this obviously racial slur because the black guy is a villain? No, a discriminating word attacks the entire group of people it's aimed at, not just the one it's said to. You can attack a villain's character without bringing sexism, racism, or other types of discrimination and double standards into it. If this is the way the MC behaves then I don't care for him and don't want to watch. Yes, a MC can be heavily flawed, Subaru from Re:Zero could be very self-centered and at one point clearly put his own desires over the woman's desires that he had feelings for thus disrespecting her BUT for me that is not so unforgivable that a good character arc can't redeem him. A MC that acts this way though? No thanks.

Also, I didn't realize people weren't allowed to criticize THE ANIME with what's been given so far which is what's being reviewed. You know, a lot of people kinda don't want to just be given all the details of the source material right away but can still criticize the adaptation with what they've been given so far. How about just saying, "well, these issues get resolved later on" instead of acting like people can't have an opinion on what they're specifically having an opinion on?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5