• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Rising of The Shield Hero Anime Listed With 25 Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Kaori Makimura wrote:
The main character isn't 'misogynistic'.
He despises ALL residents of the world that he was called to, so he's reluctant to help or care.

This occurs less than three minutes into the show, long before anyone has betrayed or abused him.

How about reading,at the very least,the Shield Hero Fandom Wiki.Garner a little in-depth info and then begin your holy crusade.The MC drops a little foreshadowing by calling her a slut.That princess is the main antagonist,or did you not notice?

Is it actually established she's a villain by the time he makes that comment? Since you didn't contradict that this does happen less than three minutes in, I have trouble believing his comment was justified with the knowledge he had at that moment. That's like saying if Obi-Wan had punched Palpatine in the face in Episode 2 randomly and people were all, "but we know he's a Sith so it's okay!" Yeah, but obviously Obi-Wan didn't and the supposed hero just assaulted someone for no reason.

It was not. At that point, in the show, literally the only thing that was established about her was that piece of art in my screenshot. She was a woman who dared to *gasp* wear a dress that exposed her shoulders! OMG. THAT SLUT!

There's a bit of sarcasm there from me, but that's quite literally what happens. The main character quite literally calls a woman a slut for no other reason than that she wears a dress that reveals her shoulders, or maybe it's because it reveals her arms, and later on this woman is revealed to be a villain, and so we're just supposed to ignore this and act like he was somehow justified?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
Not sure to blame the slut shame on the author, the animators, or the translators. Personally if something needed to be said as a director I would have chosen the word "promiscuous" as a description, clean it up some. Sure some people might not know what that word means, but then fudge'em go buy a dictionary.

Does Japan have a word for promiscuous? Besides ecchi I mean?

Heh, and I just said go buy a dictionary...hilarious.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Kaori Makimura wrote:
The main character isn't 'misogynistic'.
He despises ALL residents of the world that he was called to, so he's reluctant to help or care.

This occurs less than three minutes into the show, long before anyone has betrayed or abused him.

Yeah, totally misogynist...
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Not sure to blame the slut shame on the author, the animators, or the translators.

The word used (bitch) is a loan word from English that has the connotation of "slut" when translated back. For a similar example of something slightly different in translation, the Japanese word "feminist" has a definition that is not the same as its English counterpart.

EDIT: for clarity.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

It was not. At that point, in the show, literally the only thing that was established about her was that piece of art in my screenshot. She was a woman who dared to *gasp* wear a dress that exposed her shoulders! OMG. THAT SLUT!

There's a bit of sarcasm there from me, but that's quite literally what happens. The main character quite literally calls a woman a slut for no other reason than that she wears a dress that reveals her shoulders, or maybe it's because it reveals her arms, and later on this woman is revealed to be a villain, and so we're just supposed to ignore this and act like he was somehow justified?

So you did not take the time and learn a little about the material you're harping against.
As often happens,the translators used slut instead of the more correct meaning in this case-> bitch.

In the web novelspoiler[for her initial crimes,the princess' name was changed to Bitch].

Shield Hero one of a dime a dozen(thousands) pulp fantasy/sci-fi stories out there...
Poor/weak writing,JRPGs not your thing..and so on, complain away.

But please go find something that is actually controversial to crusade against.

[/spoiler]
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
So you did not take the time and learn a little about the material you're harping against.
As often happens,the translators used slut instead of the more correct meaning in this case-> bitch.

As I mentioned, the word "bitch" does not have the same meaning in English as it does in Japanese. The translators did their job correctly, and you are the one that is wrong. (LOL at the idea of the insult "bitch" supposedly being less gendered than "slut" though.)
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Not sure to blame the slut shame on the author, the animators, or the translators.

The word used (bitch) is a loan word from English that has the connotation of "slut" when translated back. For a similar example of something slightly different in translation, the Japanese word "feminist" has a definition that is not the same as its English counterpart.

EDIT: for clarity.

Well the original manga did use the word bitch all throughout, I remember that. Not sure if that was a better term or not than slut, but to that end I'm hoping they do not go with the word slut instead of bitch for the rest of the series as I felt bitch was the more fitting descriptor of her character...at least after the whole framing scene. Slut just does not feel right. It sounds too soft to me. Bitch has that hard ch sound at the end that helps emphasize the word. Slut just doesn't have a hard enough t sometimes. T has a tendency to be softer, almost sounding like a d, which loses its impact. With botch, it just phonetically sounds better. Plus everyone in the forums kept screaming BITCH every time a new chapter was released so why mess with tradition.

I take phonetics VERY seriously.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Man I can’t wait for the discussion to totally die by episode 5 so the fanbase can waste 20 boring weeks on their lonesome trying to convince themselves it’s the next SAO.

I am not sure what you are basing this on but Shield Hero is really popular series. Just because a few posters on Anime News Network don't like it doesn't mean it's some obscure show, it just shows there's a very large discrepancy between them and the actual anime fandom as a whole. There are many shows that do not get much coverage or discussion here, but are still hugely popular everywhere else.

Mad_Scientist wrote:

I do not see how this is hard to grasp. Princesses are generally supposed to be proper and reserved. The fact she wasn't and it was mentioned was supposed to be a tip off to her true nature. If someone was applying for a job and they came dressed inappropriately to the interview, would you fault the company for dismissing the applicant? Because that is often a common scenario. Attire is very important to ones social perception, from politicians to celebrities, and has been the subject of controversy numerous times.

There is also the fact that Japanese people have far more decency with their clothing choices than westerners do. Some of the stuff people wear in public or at school in the west would not fly at all in Japan. You might scoff at the thought of bare shoulders being scandalous, but that's not the case for other cultures.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Mad_Scientist et al that the "slutty princess" remark 3 minutes into the episode was pretty blatant evidence that the MC is not exactly respectful of women.

And, wow, that spoiler'd scene described in a few posts earlier in the thread sounds awful, and the further descriptions of it don't seem to me that they at all help the author's case. I've generally given the author the benefit of the doubt on the whole misogyny thing, given that I thought the premiere was more confused in tone than anything, but that glimpse of this story's future does not inspire confidence.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

As I mentioned, the word "bitch" does not have the same meaning in English as it does in Japanese. The translators did their job correctly, and you are the one that is wrong. (LOL at the idea of the insult "bitch" supposedly being less gendered than "slut" though.)

It's bitch.The character in question is an outright A-hole/bitch.
No matter the source,the web novel,the light novel,the manga or the anime..she is a bitch an A-hole.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

It's bitch.The character in question is an outright A-hole/bitch.
No matter the source,the web novel,the light novel,the manga or the anime..she is a bitch an A-hole.

1) I just want to highlight this comment to illustrate to people that THIS is the kind of person defending this show.

2) For all the talk of being mad at animenewsnetwork or the 'regressive left' for "Not being able to separate their personal politics from the show." It is hilarious how many of you are unable to separate your OWN personal politics from a show. None of you are exceptional, but at least us detractors are honest about why we find this show distasteful. Your defense is essentially, "WE rational. You not!!!! DOWN WITH LEFT!" Oh please. Rolling Eyes

3) It is okay for people to hate anime. Even if you like it, it is okay for people to hate it. And no, none of you are the arbiters for what is a 'good reason' to hate something. Don't like how this show is going to be torn apart weekly? Then there are a plenthora of places on the internet for you to go and spew how you hope the Princess gets raped later down the road. Because you know, that is a healthy thing to do.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the reviewers write their opinions with the goal of "tank[ing] a show"? They're just saying what meaning they found (or, more often, didn't) in it. (EDIT: to be clear, this post is a reply to AntiKuro's post above it. Pre-edit, AntiKuro's post originally whinged that it was silly of ANN reviewers to think their reviews would 'tank a show,' hence my choice of words.)

I also don't think it really matters who is the main character (EDIT: again, this was a key point of AntiKuro's original post, which seems to have now edited 'main character' to 'man'), though that was mentioned previously. The issue is whether a character doing diabolical stuff is sympathetically framed. That's what people are complaining about. Not about the appearance of bad things in fiction. Not about the main character being a bad person in fiction. But about the framing and clear suggestion for judgment of the viewer about evil acts in fiction.

I have disputed some of those complaints myself in specific cases, but it does no one any good to constantly mischaracterize them as saying something other than what they are in fact saying.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I don't think the reviewers write their opinions with the goal of "tank[ing] a show"? They're just saying what meaning they found (or, more often, didn't) in it. (EDIT: to be clear, this post is a reply to AntiKuro's post above it. Pre-edit, AntiKuro's post originally whinged that it was silly of ANN reviewers to think their reviews would 'tank a show,' hence my choice of words.)

I also don't think it really matters who is the main character (EDIT: again, this was a key point of AntiKuro's original post, which seems to have now edited 'main character' to 'man'), though that was mentioned previously. The issue is whether a character doing diabolical stuff is sympathetically framed. That's what people are complaining about. Not about the appearance of bad things in fiction. Not about the main character being a bad person in fiction. But about the framing and clear suggestion for judgment of the viewer about evil acts in fiction.

I have disputed some of those complaints myself in specific cases, but it does no one any good to constantly mischaracterize them as saying something other than what they are in fact saying.

Yep. Sorry, I didn't realize someone replied to what I said before I edited it, but let me clarify I made the tanking comment originally because I remember reading somewhere not to long ago before the previews even came out over speculations that two people would score a show really low to cause issues, much like they did with Goblin Slayer.

I decided to edit it out though.

Not anime related, and honestly it's slightly different in that this was not a good person being framed as a good person, but this drama kind of reminds me of the issues surrounding the recent season of Legion. The main character did a bad thing, and people where up in arms because he's supposed to be a good guy.

But just because you are a good person doesn't mean you are going to do good things. That just makes it boring. Anti-Hero are popular for a reason.

I mean maybe I'm a little numb to the issue because I've read way to much MM growing up, and protangist doing terrible things is par for the course so if I see it in media I just kind of shrug it off myself.

Obviously I did misunderstand the issue a little as I thought it was more about the allegations being there, and not the character itself and the framing of him.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
It's OK for the main character to do a bad thing. I don't think anyone's complaining about that; in fact, stories where the main character is complex and does good/bad/things of unclear moral status are often the most engrossing. Stories where only good people do only good things to only bad people doing only bad things, by contrast, are generally sterile, stale, and dull.

But people do understandably complain when a character does pretty clearly evil things and the show frames those acts as good or justifiable or sympathetic. I think this issue of framing is missing from your representation of the argument.

This isn't to say a character can't be a "good person" but still do "bad things." That contradiction is necessary to much good storytelling. However, a good show's framing generally makes it clear when a fundamentally good person (character) is doing something of questionable (or even awful) ethics. When a show celebrates and frames as sympathetic that choice, you understandably get a lot of angry kickback.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
This isn't to say a character can't be a "good person" but still do "bad things." That contradiction is necessary to much good storytelling. However, a good show's framing generally makes it clear when a fundamentally good person (character) is doing something of questionable (or even awful) ethics. When a show celebrates and frames as sympathetic that choice, you understandably get a lot of angry kickback.

This is actually my main problem with the series so far. At no point does the narrative justify the worst conclusions/actions of the protagonist, even assuming he's an unreliable narrator. If we're to take the series at its word, people believe the protagonist committed a crime so heinous that citizens are normally put to death for it. However, people still serve him food, buy his monster scraps, feel bad for him and give him equipment, allow him to stay in the city, etc, etc. He's not even in any physical danger because his defense is so high.

We outright see that he can use biological (?) things as weapons without triggering the error message, but he buys a slave because he's worried about unbalanced stats? The same unbalanced stats that the series gives us absolutely no indication as to the consequences of having?

Sorry, I need more than "my life is moderately difficult right now, so I need to own another person ASAP."
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5