• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Why Do Publishers Sometimes Stop Publishing Manga Before They're Finished?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saito?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
Ditto on all the Dark Horse titles previously mentioned, but especially sore about MPD Psycho, Eden, Bride of the Water God, and Ghost Talkers. I'm glad Elfen Lied is getting released this year, but crossing my fingers!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:38 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Fluwm wrote:
I find it's the abandoned novels, not manga,that annoys me the most. Twelve Kingdoms. Full Metal Panic. Slayers.

I'm not really a manga reader, but I would ABSOLUTELY shell out for a Twelve Kingdoms rescue/continuation. (I heard the Tokyopop translation was pretty dire, so I never tried tracking those down.) Same goes for Crest/Banner of the Stars. At least Viz has made it through 8 novels and counting of Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I’ve heard rumors that a complete, pro bono translation of Twelve Kingdoms by a pro translator fan is still floating around in cyberspace somewhere, but I’ve never bothered to try to track it down.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:02 am Reply with quote
I would really love for someone to finish Reiko the zombie shop, and MPD psycho.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
Oh! Thought of another one that left an annoying void for me. Del Rey never published the twelfth and final volume of Ghost Hunt and Kodansha never finished it out. It's the ones that are almost complete that are the most frustrating to me, but at least the source novels stalled out on being completed for that one.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:20 am Reply with quote
Culdcept. It's the first manga I ever read and Tokyopop lost the license at volume 5, of 6 total. And to my knowledge, no one's picked it up since. As there's only one volume left, and I've never heard anyone else mention it ever, the chances of it being finished in English are basically non-existent. The fact that it was my first ever has left a huge hole in the history of my fandom, so this pisses me off to this day.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:32 am Reply with quote
Oh, right, I forgot about MD Psycho. Another Dark Horse title I just never picked up when I started collecting American manga, as I consider it canceled.
At least Naru Taru and Eden were also available in my home country.
DH picked up allll the good stuff in the past, and then dropped them. Shame.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:56 am Reply with quote
Aria seems to have gotten a third chance here, and I should be glad, but....

Even though I had the three first volumes of ADV's release, I rebought them from Tokyopop because I was simply that happy someone picked it up. Now that they're releasing omnibus releases of the manga -- yet again from scratch -- I'm a bit more wary. If they made a solemn pledge to release everything regardless, I would maybe have bought the whole thing again just to get those last volumes, but I do not completely trust them on this.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:04 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Quote:
Similarly, Viz Media quietly picked up several series previously published in print by TokyoPop and Bandai as digital only releases, such as Lucky Star, Welcome to the NHK, and Sgt. Frog.

Except, at least in Sgt. Frog's case, Viz only digitally printed most of what had been previously released by Tokyopop, and never continued with it Confused

This is what I was going to say... Viz also did this with Kyo Kara Maoh, only releasing digital Versova of the seven volumes that Tokyopop already released. It kinda sucks to know that they have the rights and will never do anything more with them than that.

At least I can still dream that maybe someday the anime will be rescued, with R and season 3 included.

Triltaison wrote:
Del Rey/Kodansha's Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei (we got 14 of 30 and it's never happening)

This too.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Culdcept. It's the first manga I ever read and Tokyopop lost the license at volume 5, of 6 total. And to my knowledge, no one's picked it up since. As there's only one volume left, and I've never heard anyone else mention it ever, the chances of it being finished in English are basically non-existent. The fact that it was my first ever has left a huge hole in the history of my fandom, so this pisses me off to this day.

I certainly remember Culdcept, because it was the first manga I ever bought! That's a bit of a special case, because originally TokyoPop did finish the manga, as it ended at four volumes... But then it got revived a couple of years later in Japan & got a fifth volume, so TokyoPop decided to follow through with it. Then the sixth volume (which, sadly, only set up what seemed to be the final story arc, so the story remains unfinished in Japan) never got released by TP, so the company kind of both finished & never-finished that manga. I have since bought Volume 6 for the completion of my set, but it is annoying.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I had Togainu no Chi from TokyoPop, yet they never finished it. I wish they would since they never showed what ending they went for. And Hitman Reborn! needs it again.
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's already been mentioned - and by a fellow trans person, whoo hoo! - but Wandering Son has been the biggest bugbear for me. I mean, leaving our main protagonist at THAT particular moment as well... Geh!! If Fantagraphics wanted to mess it up, then I don't think they could have made a better job of it. To be honest, I can't see Viz or Yen etc making the same mistakes, but there you go. I thought Viz's approach with Sweet Blue Flowers was a good one, doing four basic omnibus volumes; my hope is they might get hold of the licence and find a way of finishing Wandering Son. I actually asked them and they said they'd look into it... Not holding my breath, but it was at least nice to be able to have a conversation about it - Fantagraphics's approach was simply to ignore any questions about the entire matter, and it was down to their awesome translator to actually tell people what was going on. Which was pretty cold of FG I thought.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Punpun's ghost wrote:
Well, it's already been mentioned - and by a fellow trans person, whoo hoo! - but Wandering Son has been the biggest bugbear for me. I mean, leaving our main protagonist at THAT particular moment as well... Geh!! If Fantagraphics wanted to mess it up, then I don't think they could have made a better job of it.

Yeah, this bums me out, because I passed on the series due to the high price of its unnecessary hardbound editions, figuring there'd eventually be regular paperback (as with Vertical's release of Buddha) or an ebook, but I guess Fantagraphics decided "well, people don't want to pay a premium for Wandering Son, so obviously no one will buy it at any price." What a fiasco.
Karl875180

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Back in 2004, German publisher Panini planned to drop 20th Century Boys after volume 8. Unlike other markets, the German fan base was apparently not all that numerous but very dedicated and vocal, so Panini offered to continue based on a subscription model and in the end released the complete series.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for rest of Zetsubou-sensei, but not putting my hopes up. Generally in these cases I turn to you-know-what to finish reading a series, but it would be nice to own them in pulped dead tree format as well. Or even as digital versions (though it must be emphasized that I do not pay-to-rent digital media, I will only pay-to-own).
Taskforce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see someone pick up and finish Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6