• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Why Do Publishers Sometimes Stop Publishing Manga Before They're Finished?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed when Udon stopped releasing Silent Mobius after four volumes. I suppose there's always Viz's release, but I thought Udon was doing a nice job with their "Complete Edition" (hah!). I guess the sales just weren't there.

Another manga series that stopped coming out was Enchanter (I had a really nice figure from that at one time). Maybe it was the length that did in that one.

And another TOKYOPOP series that was only missing the last volume was Yubisaki Milk Tea. Later I read a scanlation of the final volume, and we didn't miss much, but still....

And of course, probably one of more notorious examples of a manga remaining unfinished over in Japan is X by CLAMP.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
R. Kasahara wrote:

(ETA: Before anyone asks why [blah] is missing from my list, I'll be editing it over the next few days with any new[s] to me cancelled series mentioned in this thread)

I will go ahead and add to your list. =)

Mobile Suit Gundam Ecole du Ciel Was published up to Volume 9 by Tokyopop, last volume released in 2010.

The Japanese Tankobans go up to 12 volumes, the last one released in Japan in 2011. Would LOVE to have the last 3 volumes of that, even if it means they don't match the first nine, like how Gunnm: Last Order got a change in the last 4 N American volumes.

Thanks for making that list!

Thank you for the suggestion!

Over the past couple days, thanks in part to this thread, somewhere north of 30 manga/manhwa/light novels have been added to the list. Depressing, isn't it?!

Last edited by R. Kasahara on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:47 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

Over the past couple days, thanks in part to this thread, somewhere north of 30 manga/manhwa/light novels have been added to the list. Depressing, isn't it?!

Very Depressing. Sad to see a Mikimoto title on the "List of shame".

Would love to see a follow up article to this, about the "List of Atta-Boy".

Props, for instance, to Vertical for finishing Twin Spica. They squished 16 volumes into 12 for us in English, putting extra chapters in several volumes, and the last two were almost double, but they DID finish it. It is one of the treasures of my collection. So cheers to Vertical for Finishing Twin Spica, and my ever lasting thanks.

And I am certain the list of "Please Please" is going to be gigantic. Me.. I want an English release of Macross 7 Trash (Also by Mikimoto), for instance. Won't happen.

Anyway, thanks everyone, and thanks Kasahara for the reply, and your efforts.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:15 am Reply with quote
Just gonna add on to the Gintama/Reborn pile

It sucked even more because around that time that was when Viz was doing their mega push for Naruto where they were releasing like 3 volumes a month or something like that and it just left a really sour taste in my mouth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lenks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:21 am Reply with quote
I suppose this one is being a stickler, but I wish Viz would continue the Dragon Ball Full Color editions as well.
finlands-beret

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:20 am Reply with quote
I'd always wanted a continuation/pick-up of Tactics. Tokyopop did the first eight volumes (and I believe ADV Manga also did their own version of volumes one and two), before they closed. From what I can find via Wikipedia, JManga had it digitally for two years before dropping it as well, and they only went up to volume twelve.

At least there's still the anime with its own ending.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:51 am Reply with quote
Bride of Deimos was never finished (7/17, and there is a 3 vol. sequel). I think ComicsOne just went out of business?
I would, like, murder someone to get more of it. It's all I love: old-school shojo, full of murder and horror, the prettiest evil, incestuous demon-boy (greek God) who is so sooo sad inside.

I'm not sure it counts, be we also never got a 2nd vol. of AX from Top Shelf Productions. I guess you can't really call it axed, being an anthology, but they called the first one vol.1, to never make a vol.2.

Rukimo Theater (Rumic Theater) was canceled both in English (VIZ) and in German, at the same vol. I think.

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but the LN of Kino's Journey was also cancelled.
I'd love for someone to rescue that one.
Karl875180 wrote:
Back in 2004, German publisher Panini planned to drop 20th Century Boys after volume 8. Unlike other markets, the German fan base was apparently not all that numerous but very dedicated and vocal, so Panini offered to continue based on a subscription model and in the end released the complete series.

Yeah, that's not a good example. The German branch of Panini (I think they're Italian, they at least also release in France, both at least in the past bigger manga markets) is really weak, at least with their small manga department. Panini cancelled SO many manga, they don't deserve praise for not cancelling that one.
When you weren't there to mail-order vol. 9, you were out of luck, they never printed more of it. 20thCB is one of those series I had to buy in English, it was impossible to get otherwise.
Nicholai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
Since I only dabble in manga I've only been missing Urusei Yatsura; looks like the dream may be fulfilled when the series gets relaunched in a matter of weeks.

Hopefully in this age of digital entertainment and print-on-demand more manga will come back.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
Oh! I forgot to mention one other title that seriously needs a re-release here: Ballad of a Shinigami, the light novels. I really liked the two volumes Seven Seas put out, but they suddenly stopped and never put out the rest of them. I wonder why? Now seems like a great time to re-release it, since more and more light novels are coming out here than ever before.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Would love to see a follow up article to this, about the "List of Atta-Boy".

Props, for instance, to Vertical for finishing Twin Spica. They squished 16 volumes into 12 for us in English, putting extra chapters in several volumes, and the last two were almost double, but they DID finish it. It is one of the treasures of my collection. So cheers to Vertical for Finishing Twin Spica, and my ever lasting thanks.

Twin Spica is fantastic! I picked it up long after the first volume's release and was fortunate to get all the volumes before they became hard to find. Though it's not quite the same situation, Viz deserves similar props for sticking with Cross Game to the end; it was very smart of them to release such a niche manga in omnibus editions.

Moonsaber wrote:
And I am certain the list of "Please Please" is going to be gigantic. Me.. I want an English release of Macross 7 Trash (Also by Mikimoto), for instance. Won't happen.

Anyway, thanks everyone, and thanks Kasahara for the reply, and your efforts.

I happen to maintain a personal list like that. Some are real long shots, but there's a few I'm holding out hope for.

Thanks for the kind words Anime catgrin
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll say I'm a big culprit of the "buy the first volume" syndrome. I have a MASSIVE amount of #1s on my manga shelf.

I think an issue with print manga in the North American market is we very rarely get manga released as it originally was in it's serialization, so it does paint a very unrealistic picture of a popularity of a series when sales of the first volume are going to be high simply because of consequence of that being the first method of a title being released in the NA market. We always get manga that has already been compiled once enough volumes run their course. Of course manga release in the NA market hasn't always been this way, but even when it did see compilations or similar type serializations alongside other manga it was often a long time into a particular title's life cycle. Some particular types of publications of this sort I remember vividly and still have boxes of issues of were MixxZine (what eventually became TokyoPop), Dark Horse's Super Manga Blast, VIZ's Pulp, and Animerica's Animerica Extra; all examples ran many series simultaneously, but again most everything ran was something that already had a lot of material to build on.

Thing is too though those examples I provided were oversized volumes and the type of material that should probably be seen on a newsstand rather than next to A-Z manga. Meanwhile some publishers have provided free samplers of manga in the past - VIZ, TokyoPop, etc - in the typical manga format we're familiar with.

Ultimately though I'd think the logistics of "simul-"printing manga in both Japanese and English (or other languages) would be difficult, most pressing of course being licensing but the other being a need to format and translate the series as it's creator produces it.

ZenAmako wrote:
Another manga series that stopped coming out was Enchanter (I had a really nice figure from that at one time). Maybe it was the length that did in that one.

I'm glad to see someone mention Enchanter. I really enjoyed that series and still have all the English releases. It was like having a weird mash up of all the typical fantasy comedy anime tropes from the 90s (Sorcerer Hunters, Slayers, that sort of thing) and Eukinaria's hi jinks were always great.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Five items:

1) Shadow Star Narutaru.

2) Shadow

3) Star

4) Narutaru.

(unflipped and with the same amount of chapters per volume as in Japan, please)

5) Shaman King Flowers: what a head-spinner of a case this series turned into. Viz lost the rights to publishing the original (so even if you want to buy it digital, tough cookies) and even before that, the sequel series remained in limbo. As I understand this mess originates from the author's dissatisfaction with ownership rights, the best resource to reading it, aside from learning Japanese, remains you-know-what.

Bummers.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
(ETA: Before anyone asks why [blah] is missing from my list, I'll be editing it over the next few days with any new[s] to me cancelled series mentioned in this thread)

Here's some that I've personally suffered that aren't on the list (well, some a light novels and you mentioned you'd be adding them so)

Missing (light novel series) by Gakuto Coda
(yes, missing is missing, and I'm missing volumes of missing)

Princess Resurrection

Gosick (YET GERMANY GETS THEM. IM SO UPSET)

I think Strawberry Marshmallow stopped getting published as Tokyopop were doing it and it looks like the manga is still ongoing. not sure how far it got as I stopped reading around volume 3 or 4.

..other stuff is on your list (a good list idea btw!), like Reiko the Zombie shop (which I'm re-reading right now). I also hadn't realised Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei never finished as I wasn't good at keeping up with it, so that's sad too. Also sad Tengai Retrogical never got more volumes (I feel like the only person who ever read that manga so imagine my surprise it was on the list!)
(there's probably more I forget)

The other bad thing is trying to get novels after they've gone out of print. Like Kino's Journey and some Otsuichi novels... Have to shell out a bunch over ebay for it. My copy of Kino is a ex library book with yellowed pages, some stickers and stamps on it.

anyway I like this thread is mostly people just crying over series never getting published

Honestly at this point I'm just thankful when a multi-volume series I like gets fully translated. (I was so relieved Hanako and the Terror of Allegory got finished as the last volume was scheduled around when Tokyopop was breaking apart)
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
R. Kasahara wrote:

Here's some that I've personally suffered that aren't on the list (well, some a light novels and you mentioned you'd be adding them so)

Missing (light novel series) by Gakuto Coda
(yes, missing is missing, and I'm missing volumes of missing)

Princess Resurrection

Gosick (YET GERMANY GETS THEM. IM SO UPSET)

I think Strawberry Marshmallow stopped getting published as Tokyopop were doing it and it looks like the manga is still ongoing. not sure how far it got as I stopped reading around volume 3 or 4.

Added, thanks! Somehow, I never knew that any of the Gosick novels had been localized to begin with. And yeah, Strawberry Marshmallow continued on after Tokyopop stopped publishing it.
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Personally I don't like to buy ongoing manga that takes a while between volumes and especially those whose US releases are behind on its anime adaptation release. I normally prefer to wait until it's finished or has many volumes released so I can binge through it. I realize that contributes to the problem in a chicken-egg fashion but considering how quickly one can read through a volume and waiting months between tends to dampen my enjoyment of the series.

This ^

You're not the only one. I either buy the entire complete series or nothing at all. Of course, I can understand that a publisher may want to cancel a long series (I'm talking about series over 20 volumes), but for small ones, maybe they could simply take their chances, because many people are like us.

Then there are examples of series that I would have loved to buy, like Twin Spica, whose first volumes go out of print and out of stock before the later volumes are out. Of course, sadly I was unable to buy it.

I just wish that publishers would release completed series in packs, you know, a box with all the volumes together (and maybe with discount). I'm not talking about omnibus format, which I dislike, but all the individual volumes together in a pack. Who knows, this way maybe they would sell more, and would avoid having good sales only on volume 1.

Also, I don't get it why if a manga have volumes out of stock in most stores, which means that people are buying it (right?), why publishers do not release a second batch?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6