• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Megalobox, Devilman crybaby Dominate Crunchyroll Anime Award's Nominations

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Come on now. Fireworks instead of Maquia? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Well at the very least, this year's awards won't be a total My Hero Academia domination fest. (Not that I don't love the series myself of course but other series need to win at something too.)
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui was last year...wtf?

This is so sad. Best animation... Bloom into You?! WHAT? It had a nice visual but the animation itself was not anything special. Choppy at times, even. And No Maquia but Fireworks (as stated above). These awards are a joke again. Oh Fireworks was 2017 too lol.
NeverKnewINeeded

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Where's Maquia? Sad I'm baffled more people nominated Fireworks and Mazinger Z over it. Confused
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I feel like there must be something I deeply did not get about Devilman Crybaby, because I thought it was just unengaging symbol-mush from beginning to end, for the most part, but so many folks seem obsessed with it.

Glad to see Megalobox got some love, though. It was no Cowboy Bebop, but it was a damned touching love letter to that generation of show.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
These awards are a joke again.

don’t know why anyone takes any awards show seriously honestly they’re not the end be all as to what Is good it’s all just glorified attention seeking by the people who host any award show this has no actual value or merit at the end of it.

Last edited by Dragon_Kaiser on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
DARLING in the FRANXX is my most favorite anime of the year.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:

This is so sad. Best animation... Bloom into You?! WHAT? It had a nice visual but the animation itself was not anything special. Choppy at times, even. And No Maquia but Fireworks (as stated above). These awards are a joke again. Oh Fireworks was 2017 too lol.
Kakegurui is here because it was LEGALLY available in 2018 on Netflix so for them its a 2018 anime.
Millhi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:

Miles posted a FAQ about them a bit ago.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2019/01/11-1/how-did-the-animeawards-nominees-get-picked?

It basically boils down that while Kakegurui was released in 2017 it didn't have a US release until 2018 so thats why it got counted.

Quote:
all nominees must meet the following qualifications, or be from an anime that meets the following qualifications, to be considered for this year’s Anime Awards:

1. The nominee must be an animated series

2. Primary production for the show took place in Japan

3. Was broadcast in part in Japan either on television or online

4. At least one episode was legally distributed in the U.S. in 2018
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:

Kakegurui and some others are included based on when they became available in the U.S., I think. Kakegurui was a Netflix show, so despite premiering in Japan in 2017 it wasn't available to watch legally until 2018 for U.S. viewers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Damn glad Megalo Box is making it big. Very Happy

Very sweet and very cool. Cool
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone even care about Crunchyroll's Anime Awards?
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
So the only thing overlord got a spot on is for best Antagonist? so a protagnist is an antagonist,.... well they are not wrong il vote for that but the choices are limited and they dont include an option to add something you want which is a bit unfair in my personal opinion
shakir0247

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, dat Attack of Titan snub tho.....
Even in the one category it did get a nomination (Best Ending Sequence) the video showcasing all the nominees inexplicably totally skipped over Attack on Titan. I'm sure it was just an honest editing mistake but it's still kinda funny in the context of the awards as a whole.

The Best Boy/Girl categories still confuse me to be honest. Is it meant for the most interesting/well written characters or the most funny/cute/memeable characters? Combining the two (which is what they've done by the looks of it) makes for a rather bizarre list of nominees.

Last edited by shakir0247 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Mhora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Does anyone even care about Crunchyroll's Anime Awards?
People don't need to care, but there are very few awards spotlighting animation in the west, especially anime. This is a popularity award, so it's not a big deal really. Awards like the Oscars are voted by the actors and creators themselves, so that it a huge celebration of the craft. I feel like most people don't know why or what these awards are. It has often nothing to do with you. It's a celebration.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4