• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Megalobox, Devilman crybaby Dominate Crunchyroll Anime Award's Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Does anyone even care about Crunchyroll's Anime Awards?

Awards only have as much value as you put into them. For me personally, there are too many stipulations and exceptions with the Crunchyroll Awards for me to really value them. Although one could easily argue non-Japanese awards for a Japanese work are ultimately fluff pieces. I've never noticed any of the previous award winners ever mention these awards on the Japanese side.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Another year and yet again CR falls into the same pratfalls of award shows.

MHA is in literally every possible catagory it can be in, not because it deserves it but because the nominations for those catagories are a joke and it seems the people nominating don't have a very diverse view of anime.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

MHA is in literally every possible catagory it can be in, not because it deserves it but because the nominations for those catagories are a joke and it seems the people nominating don't have a very diverse view of anime.

Do you have any category-specific criticisms? I thought MHA was a standout in most respect, so I don't see how it is strange that it occupies many categories as a standout candidate.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I still have no idea why Violet Evergarden is so highly praised.
Ok, the show has good animation and a nice story, but it was poorly developed and the directing was heavy handed. The show had only a couple of good episodes the rest were repetitive and sappy. Some scenes like spoiler[ the war scene were Violet looses her arms] were borderline ridiculous because of how heavy handed they were directed.

Shows like After The Rain and Bloom Into You (to name a couple) with pretty mundane story lines compared to Violet's were sooo much better directed.

I watched around 25 animes in 2018 and Violet is almost at the bottom of my list.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
TexZero wrote:

Do you have any category-specific criticisms? I thought MHA was a standout in most respect, so I don't see how it is strange that it occupies many categories as a standout candidate.

It doesn't need to be in best boy 3 years in a row just for starters. Their only saving grace this year is that there's not TWO nominees in that catagory from MHA again.

Best Antagonist in AFO...Really considering the show doesn't even consider him the primary antagonist and spends more time on Shiguaraki. Even then, It being in the best Antagonist given we have many other shows with better Antagonist from this year like Dino from Banana Fish.

Best Animation...Hooo boy lets get this one clear of the list and free of the pity nomination please. It has 2-3 sequences of above average animation a season the rest is pretty standard fair. If this is the low bar we're gonna set for nominations for Best Animation then Double Decker deserves to be on the list as well.

So yes, you could say i have a few specific category issues.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
It doesn't need to be in best boy 3 years in a row just for starters. Their only saving grace this year is that there's not TWO nominees in that catagory from MHA again.

I don't follow. They have to have no more than X number of nominees per year from the same show? Why? For what it's worth, that wouldn't even be true if we flipped random coins, and i would certainly not expect it to be true for peoples' actual opinions.

re: AFO -- I agree he was not well elaborated upon as a villain, but that's part of the point: he was the best example of an 'astmospheric' villain that I can think of. He was shockingly effective without ever being on-screen. Frankly I thought he was much less effective once on-screen, though not without some punch.

re: Animation -- not sure I would have picked MHA, but what's the alternative? I think the high points of MHA's animation outperformed DD (in fact, I cannot imagine comparing the two seriously), though I liked DD's work.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I feel like there must be something I deeply did not get about Devilman Crybaby, because I thought it was just unengaging symbol-mush from beginning to end, for the most part, but so many folks seem obsessed with it.

Zac was on the judges list so it was pretty much guaranteed that Devilman Crybaby would show up in (almost) every category. Razz
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Not really a surprise of this results, because is a American Awards.
But good to see Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai main pair get some love from the judges.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I liked Aggretsuko for its wry humor, but I'm surprised it shows up in so many categories. It's not even one of Crunchyroll's shows.

The absence of GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) is sad. It's not even in the "continuing" category.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
TexZero wrote:

I don't follow. They have to have no more than X number of nominees per year from the same show? Why? For what it's worth, that wouldn't even be true if we flipped random coins, and i would certainly not expect it to be true for peoples' actual opinions.

re: AFO -- I agree he was not well elaborated upon as a villain, but that's part of the point: he was the best example of an 'astmospheric' villain that I can think of. He was shockingly effective without ever being on-screen. Frankly I thought he was much less effective once on-screen, though not without some punch.

re: Animation -- not sure I would have picked MHA, but what's the alternative? I think the high points of MHA's animation outperformed DD (in fact, I cannot imagine comparing the two seriously), though I liked DD's work.

I do not believe any series awards showcase should ever nominate something consecutive years let alone fill a catagory entilted best anything with two things from the same show. If you can then clearly neither of them are the best even within their own show so they aren't deserving of the nomination to begin with. The multiple years running part comes down to giving other shows their due and trust me there are are plenty of "Best Boys" who could replace Deku again grossly under represented on this list Bana Fish has Eji who stands way above Deku this season alone.

Per again Antagonist, gave you one easy to nail down Antagonist that was better. Here's another Social Media from Lupin the Third P5, if we're gonna go down the abstracts and allow "atmospheric villans" to be antagonist then the clear winner for that this seaon goes to the mob mentality garned from abuse of social media. If we don't want to go that abstract then you can just as easily nominate Albert from the same show.

Animation my point was pretty straight forward giving any show the pity nod just to fill out the catagory is bad. To your question of shows that could fill that based strictly on the low bar MHA set this year then Hanebado had equally as stunning animation and shot comps when they wanted to which is no different than how sparse this was for MHA.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
I do not believe any series awards showcase should ever nominate something consecutive years let alone fill a catagory entilted best anything with two things from the same show.

Er, what? But what if they're the best examples in-season of the category?

You seem to have confused your rhetorical disputes with the category definitions with actual disagreements with the nominees...
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of weird that some of the nominees are titles exclusive to Crunchyroll's competitor, though to be fair I suppose this is for all anime avaiable in outside of Japan in general.
Also, as others pointed out, it's weird that Kakegurui is nominated in some categories, although the aired in 2017, but since it premiered offically last year in all other regions outside of Japan it is in a situation similar to Spirited Away which opened in 2001 in Japan but it got nominated for an Oscar when it premiered in the West in the year 2002.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
TexZero wrote:
I do not believe any series awards showcase should ever nominate something consecutive years let alone fill a catagory entilted best anything with two things from the same show.

You seem to have confused your rhetorical disputes with the category definitions with actual disagreements with the nominees...

But they're not and haven't been for 2 years.

Also, if the showcase is a yearly award then you should have new nominees each year, not repeating the same song and dance because it's on-going. I mean i don't see Yusuke, Kuwabara, Hiei, or Kurama on the best boy list and Yu Yu Hakusho had an OVA this year if you ask the shounen fandom at large those would surpass Deku even in the within subgenre of best boys. It's meming at best from CR and being tone deaf to their own award shows at worst.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Tex:

I don't really think MHA is "out of season" in the same way that Yu Yu Hakusho is, but I also think we've pretty quickly exhausted our rhetorical options, so I'm just going to let this go from my end.

TasteyCookie wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
I feel like there must be something I deeply did not get about Devilman Crybaby, because I thought it was just unengaging symbol-mush from beginning to end, for the most part, but so many folks seem obsessed with it.

Zac was on the judges list so it was pretty much guaranteed that Devilman Crybaby would show up in (almost) every category. Razz

Oh, Zac was a huge fan of it, I guess? I was so bored of it that I mostly avoided coverage/review of it, so I have no idea what actual reviews have looks like, or who has driven them / why. From my p.o.v. it looked so tremendously garish but substanceless that I did not invest further in it.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
TexZero wrote:

But they're not and haven't been for 2 years.

Also, if the showcase is a yearly award then you should have new nominees each year, not repeating the same song and dance because it's on-going. I mean i don't see Yusuke, Kuwabara, Hiei, or Kurama on the best boy list and Yu Yu Hakusho had an OVA this year if you ask the shounen fandom at large those would surpass Deku even in the within subgenre of best boys. It's meming at best from CR and being tone deaf to their own award shows at worst.

I don’t believe OVA’s count. I think this is for actual TV run shows..... & movies of course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4