• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Megalobox, Devilman crybaby Dominate Crunchyroll Anime Award's Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
In my heart, I hope A Place Further than the Universe rake in a good number of awards. It's probably one of the best adventurous friendship stories with great dramatic payoff (god, that laptop scene destroyed me Crying or Very sad).

NeverConvex wrote:
yuzumei wrote:
I still have no idea why Violet Evergarden is so highly praised.
Ok, the show has good animation and a nice story, but it was poorly developed and the directing was heavy handed. The show had only a couple of good episodes the rest were repetitive and sappy. Some scenes like spoiler[ the war scene were Violet looses her arms] were borderline ridiculous because of how heavy handed they were directed.

Also kind've curious about this. I haven't been able to get past Ep 2 of Violet Evergarden. What precisely draws people to it? The characters seem like hollow outlines to me.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because of 1.) it's the first time KyoAni actually did a title that's not set in Japan; it's more Western plus the crazy animated trailers so curiosity is peaked, 2.) I think the Netflix effect is a real deal where watchers came across Violet Evergarden and never experienced a KyoAni work before were awe-inspired by it especially if they're used to Netflix original anime to be mostly action shows.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Also kind've curious about this. I haven't been able to get past Ep 2 of Violet Evergarden. What precisely draws people to it? The characters seem like hollow outlines to me.

The vignettes about the customers that Violet helps with her letter-writing that makes up much of the series I think are both what draws people to the series and the parts that most would agree are the strongest and most touching, beyond the immaculate production values. I'd check out the third episode or maybe the fifth episode to get an idea of that without going too deep into the episode count.
S0crates

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:47 am Reply with quote
Oh ye, that and Violet Evergarden has every episode looking like movie quality basically. The initial setting is including a bunch of "weird" elements you just got to accept as this world's reality, such as there being a Steam Punk reality where automated hands are possible, yet they are still sending mail by letters (or Violet being a war veteran). If you manage to accept this world's premise, then it's rather lovely. Let's just say that the combat portions of the show is a backstory more than the meat of the series, and is meant to highlight the impact and importance of her commanding officer more than anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4