Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Reveals Release Schedule for Kingdom Hearts III Game's Epilogue Video, Secret Vide




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gemnist



Joined: 10 Feb 2016
Posts: 1600
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:51 am Reply with quote
As if the series was going to just end like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pandsu



Joined: 16 Sep 2017
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:50 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
As if the series was going to just end like that.


Nomura never said it would. What's ending is the Xehanort saga but there will definitely be more Kingdom Hearts and I believe Nomura has even said that we haven't seen the last of Sora, Donald and Goofy so I think we are either gonna see a kind of "the next generation" situation and there's gonna be a time jump where, perhaps, Sora and Riku are now keyblade masters with their own pupils or it's just kinda like what we had so far was Season 1 and now we're starting Season 2 so to speak.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Romuska
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 02 Mar 2004
Posts: 624
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
All Inask isbthat at some point we see Gargoyles make an appearance in this series!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IanC



Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Posts: 685
Location: Essex, England
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
So let's congratulate Square Enix for relaxing an incomplete game? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gemnist



Joined: 10 Feb 2016
Posts: 1600
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
All Inask isbthat at some point we see Gargoyles make an appearance in this series!


Not gonna happen. They never do TV shows in this thing aside from DuckTales, and even then, Disney’s basically swept Gargoyles under the rug. I do hope they crossover elsewhere though. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calsolum



Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 802
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
So let's congratulate Square Enix for relaxing an incomplete game? Rolling Eyes


That's jumping the gun.
The epilogue is usually a teaser for the next game or non essential information to the current game.
And unless the patch fixes some huge or game breaking bugs the game is more or less 'complete'
At the very least it's nothing like say FF 13-2 that had the true ending locked behind paid dlc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eekin



Joined: 10 Sep 2015
Posts: 16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
IanC wrote:
So let's congratulate Square Enix for relaxing an incomplete game? Rolling Eyes


That's jumping the gun.
The epilogue is usually a teaser for the next game or non essential information to the current game.
And unless the patch fixes some huge or game breaking bugs the game is more or less 'complete'
At the very least it's nothing like say FF 13-2 that had the true ending locked behind paid dlc.


I don't believe what they're doing is going to impact my enjoyment of the game(I wasn't going to beat in 2 days anyway). But, I don't' agree with companies restricting completed aspects of their product to "protect" gamers against spoilers.
1. Your game isn't that good if "spoiling" it ruins the game overall.
2. A lot of people are part of the "livestream" community(I don't get it I'm just old, 30, I guess) So, they don't care about spoilers at all.
3. The people who don't want to be spoiled avoid it. I avoided all SSBU spoilers and that game was pretty much available to play.

The internet exist and people have the choice to seek or avoid the media/information they want. So, what do these practices actually help? It seems like gamers don't react well to it, so do investors like it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calsolum



Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 802
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
eek-ken wrote:
I don't believe what they're doing is going to impact my enjoyment of the game(I wasn't going to beat in 2 days anyway). But, I don't' agree with companies restricting completed aspects of their product to "protect" gamers against spoilers.
1. Your game isn't that good if "spoiling" it ruins the game overall.
2. A lot of people are part of the "livestream" community(I don't get it I'm just old, 30, I guess) So, they don't care about spoilers at all.
3. The people who don't want to be spoiled avoid it. I avoided all SSBU spoilers and that game was pretty much available to play.

The internet exist and people have the choice to seek or avoid the media/information they want. So, what do these practices actually help? It seems like gamers don't react well to it, so do investors like it?


I suppose we have different degrees of what we consider 'restrictive'

1. For a story driven game like KH being spoiled can definitely ruin the experience, can you imagine if the Dream drop distance ending was spoiled or someone saw it on their feed by accident?(like a meme or screenshot). You'd know spoiler[sora was going to fail his Mastery exam and Riku would pass his] Can't say if this secret ending is that big but it could be.
2. Yeah i don't get the livestream community either(26 lol) with this I can understand why having the secret soft 'locked' would be inconvenient, but in the end its their product and they should be allowed to release it how they want. Now i'm not happy with it either but I don't think square is doing anything controversial. (Now atlus, when they prevented anyone from streaming Persona 5 because of spoiler, is an example of taking things way too far)
3. Some communities are not so... polite. Theres lots of different online communities out there and some people might be in communities that have no sense of etiquette regarding spoilers. Sure the person who wants to not be spoiled could just avoid these sites but depending on how frequently they use these sites, possibly for other means of entertainment it can be incredibly inconvenient.

Honestly, It'd be great if all of the internet had spoiler tags and people used them properly but it isn't and some people would deliberately not use it. Square's approach is restrictive but I feel that they're within their rights to do so. They didn't use absurd wait times(just under a week for everything), they didn't make people pay for it, and they didn't restrict people from streaming and putting videos online they just made a 'short' countdown regarding 2 videos . Although one thing I'm not clear on and I think they should do is properly explain what to do meet the unlock conditions before or on the day its released.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eekin



Joined: 10 Sep 2015
Posts: 16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Calsolum"]
eek-ken wrote:
....


I say "restrictive" because it's not just a book or movie. KH doesn't exist soley for its story. It is story driven, but it's also a videogame. I'm here to enjoy playing a video game and the story also is what drives me to play more. If someone spoiled a movie or book and the that experienced was ruined because of it, then the story being told wasn't that valuable. At least with videogames you can still say you enjoyed them even with the story spoiled.

I'm not trying to take away from other people's personal feelings regarding videogame spoilers, just trying to say that videogames are more than their stories, even if it's a really good story. The reason I dump hours into videogames isn't because of the story(I've already experienced it so and story doesn't change) but, because I enjoyed playing the game.

I'd be way more upset if they decided to start restricting spells, abilities, or summons. But, releasing the secret ending "later" isn't a huge let down to me. I do agree that they're not as bad as they could be and well within their rights to do it. Besides this epilogue embargo still doesn't "help"(me at least) as I said I'm not going to be the game by then, so the spoilers are still going to be going strong so what was accomplished?

I just feel like if someone is personally against spoilers they'd go on a media blackout for that property. All people are going to talk about is the new stuff and if you know you're not there yet why would someone get involved in the discussions? Going on the internet is optional so those "online communities" can be avoided while someone enjoys their game. It's though these days, but possible.

The timing of their releases is also why I'm more forgiving. If KH3 came out on Friday, I'd probably beat it by Sunday. Then I'd be annoyed that I'd have to wait. But, coming out on Tuesday, while working a full time job, means I probably won't beat it for a week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group