• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: TPP Copyright Laws Come Into Effect in Japan, Allows Breaches to Be Charged Without Initia

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzy Pickles!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think in terms of works entering the public domain, the American public domain might be better than most other nations. Generally, a pre-1922 work that was registered with the U.S. Copyright Office is now public domain here. However, there are many pre-1922 works in other countries that are still copyrighted because of the life+50 min. requirement for the Berne Convention.
It's now pre-1923 seeing as January 1, 1923 marks the time when works published in 1923 are now under the public domain.

Also, after 1977, works created in the United States enter the life + 70 years of an author. In other words, our copyright system is just as bad as Japan's and most other nations in the world.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
So instead of certain series being resold at stores like Toranoana, they'll just be resold on Yahoo Japan auctions.

It's not how that works.

A lot of doujinshi artists consign shops like Tora no Ana and Melonbooks to sell their works, a bit like print-on-demand. They will basically never run out of the stuff, as long as the artists agree to sell more and the stores can sell more. I don't think anyone can really do this over YAJ, although I suppose it is possible.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:28 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
So instead of certain series being resold at stores like Toranoana, they'll just be resold on Yahoo Japan auctions.

It's not how that works.

A lot of doujinshi artists consign shops like Tora no Ana and Melonbooks to sell their works, a bit like print-on-demand. They will basically never run out of the stuff, as long as the artists agree to sell more and the stores can sell more. I don't think anyone can really do this over YAJ, although I suppose it is possible.

I don't think YAJ handles shipping like Tora or Melon tho. The appeal of mail order ship is all you need to do are register and send your stock, the the shop will handle shipping and all that annoyance that comes with it (customer service included). if YAJ has no this feature, might as well you set up your wares on pixiv and handles the shipping yourself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2