• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco Entertainment's Harada: 'BNE Did Not Cancel Klonoa Anime'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
That's a relief.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
That's a relief.

How? The movie is still dead. There hasn't been a new release in the game series in over 10 years.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
So what exactly is going on? Why does it sound like no one knows who canceled and the fingers are just pointing in a circle, lol.

I'm sad for Klonoa, but at the end of the day, it's also on Bamco that they never do anything with him and the franchise.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:35 am Reply with quote
So, what if the film project is still ongoing though? I am not even sure about this, since Klonoa film is already cancelled and what do you think about tha. Confused
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Heishi wrote:
That's a relief.

How? The movie is still dead. There hasn't been a new release in the game series in over 10 years.

I know there hasn't been a Klonoa game. I've been hunting a copy for the PS2 sequel for years to no avail.

I'll give them another 2 years before I can say the project is truly dead.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
So what exactly is going on?

We can work it out.

+ Films-in-pre-production have a non-negligible value as a going concern. It's not a lot of money, generally, but it's enough that it doesn't get thrown away needlessly by even the largest firms: films don't get formally cancelled unless production becomes impossible or kicking the can down the road becomes too expensive.

+ bandai didn't cancel the film, which meant it must have come from the production end.

+ the film hasn't been made yet, and there doesn't seem to have been a lot of action.

+ the project is a reasonably-obscure and old video game

Most likely explanation is that the film failed to get funding initially, but was left running along in case something came up. Eventually some outgoing came up -- probably a rights-extension payment -- and the producers had a good hard look at the economics of the situation and decided to shut the project down rather than make the payment.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:00 am Reply with quote
Seems Henshin jumped the gun by announcing the project too early. A pity since all it did is get our hopes up for nothing.

But on the plus side, it's not confirmed that the project itself is dead. Henshin may no longer be working on it, but another company could take over. Not going to get my hopes up though.
Idort

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:08 am Reply with quote
Of all announcements to upset me Klonoa's cancellation hit me the most. I've always loved his game and wished he was more popular, because his games were good. I felt like this animated movie was going to be his last chance at gaining any kind of traction. Well, now that's it's definitely not happening I think the series is basically confirmed dead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1