• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested Over 7-Vehicle Fire at Anime Los Angeles Hotel Lot

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
This has gotten way out of hand, hence the deleted posts. Guys, if there's a disagreement, there's no need to descend into insults and namecalling.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I would ever donate to a gofundme page just because an innocent person had their car damaged by another person, but I think we should all be able to agree that the victim has been put in a terrible situation.

Some people don't have enough money to immediately replace their vehicle, and if there are others out their willing to provide financial support, then gofundme exists for that.

I hope that the victim is able to get a restraining order or whatever other disincentives are available to caution the suspect to stay away. What was the goal here!? "I'll burn her car and then she will pay attention to me."

I'm also sad for all those other peoples' cars!
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Given the seriousness of the crime, he'll be away for at least 10-20 years unless a jury buys an insanity defense.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:45 am Reply with quote
Saw this on the news, the report said the accelerant spread to the other cars through the gutter. Quite unfortunate for the other car owners, and very disquieting for the primary target too I'm sure. It could have been worse though, some of the convention attendees said they were planning to stow their cosplay gear in their cars overnight to have a quick departure in the morning, but thought better of it.

That being said, what's a "Los Angeles" anime convention doing being held in Ontario? Ontario is outside LA county and about 40 minutes away from LA proper.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:14 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:

That being said, what's a "Los Angeles" anime convention doing being held in Ontario? Ontario is outside LA county and about 40 minutes away from LA proper.

That's a good question. AnimeLA was located in LA proper as recently as 2015, but it had maxed out its venue at the time (the LAX Marriott) - they were selling to a capacity of 4500 attendees weeks in advance of the convention. So they needed a new location with a proper convention center and plenty of housing nearby, and the city of Ontario did a good job of pitching their facilities. ALA was up to a bit over 11,000 unique attendees in 2018; I haven't heard final numbers for 2019 yet.

At that size they didn't have a ton of options in LA - the LA Convention Center (probably a lot more expensive and less likely to accomodate a con 1/10 the size of AX), Long Beach Convention Center, and Anaheim Convention Center are all that come to mind, and ACC is also outside LA county and a comparable drive from the city itself. Anyway: ALA signed a 3-year contract for 2016-2018, and another multi-year contract (I'm guessing for 2019-2021). Depending on growth, I could see ALA end up at LACC or LBCC around 2022-2025.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 am Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Everyone critiquing the gofundme clearly doesn't understand how huge of an expense full coverage with gap-insurance costs an individual. She has liability only...
You don't have to spend $10 on her gofundme, but you could practice some compassion and shut up.

I'm not going to shame her, but I would use this as a lesson to others the importance of comprehensive coverage: Regardless of age, if you can't afford to replace the car if it's lost, you can't afford to skip comprehensive coverage. The alternative is to set that portion aside in a separate account as your repair/replacement fund.

Furthermore: Comprehensive is the smallest portion of an insurance premium. Liability is literally like 70% of the cost of insurance. My work car is a 2002 with 240k miles on it and I still maintain comprehensive coverage so I know I will receive some value back should it be lost. It costs me ~$15/month.

Insure your cars folks. There are a lot of irresponsible people out there who no/little coverage and even less driving skills.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I'm not going to shame her, but I would use this as a lesson to others the importance of comprehensive coverage: Regardless of age, if you can't afford to replace the car if it's lost, you can't afford to skip comprehensive coverage. The alternative is to set that portion aside in a separate account as your repair/replacement fund.

I'd say that's a common thing among younger people these days. Especially in the internet age where jobs on the internet don't usually come with actual work benefits like insurance or retirement plans. I don't know if this cosplayer is one of those ones with a Patreon or if she has an actual job and cosplay is just a hobby.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2