• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Princess Tutu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Basically, the pre-Madoka late 90's/early 00's, when "Magical girls" weren't seen as the symbolic scapegoat bane for all "annoying" anime in Japan (sort of their equivalent of why we still make Smurfs and Care Bears jokes about cartoons, thirty years after they stopped airing), before being guilt-by-association attached to the Otaku Menace.
Never mind "edgy", when we also start getting goofy genre-"deconstructive" series like Magical Girl Ore or Gonna Be the Twin-Tail, it's born out of pure frustration.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're saying here.

The genre deconstructions and parodies and dark versions (which didn't really come in any order, considering things like Pretty Sammy or Puni Puni Poemy, or the endings of Minky Momo or Nurse Angel Ririka SOS) are pretty much all riffing off of the type of magical girl show that largely started with Sailor Moon and then swallowed the whole genre (with some shows like Akazukin Cha Cha getting changes from the manga to the anime to fit more in that style), with the Precure franchise being the long running current standard bearer.

Basically, non-fan mainstream Japan is sick of the "Magical girl" trope being the "symbol" of anime for two reasons. The second reason has been expounded on at length (ie., why the stereotype of Hopeless Unemployed Otaku always includes a shelf full of plastic Miss Daicon figures), but the main reason is that the mid-80's to early-90's image of vintage heart-wand-bearing-waifs has pretty much become Japan's Scooby-Doo:
The easy, most pop-culturally recognized whipping-boy for past-decades' expired overused anime tropes, for which cheap jokes will always get a knowing laugh, mostly at the expense of shows you USED to watch as a kid and wouldn't dare touch with toxic gloves now. If someone over here gets a cheap laugh with "Let's pull of the mask, gang, and see who it is...It's old man Crenshaw, who tried to scare everyone away from his amusement park!" "And I woulda gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you durned meddling kids!", over there, you can get a cheap laugh with a parody of Minky Momo's wand-twirling pink-sugar-heart-attack magic spell. And Precure being on the air almost as darn long as Scooby-Doo doesn't help the comic frustration either.
Remember when we used to get those idiotic beefy male Sailor Moon cosplayers at conventions, making a gag of how weird we thought that 90's afternoon show was? Turns out Japan made a series out of it, when they put beefy hunks in magical-girl dresses in "Magical Girl Ore"...Isn't that, like, just so parodic? And, unlike Madoka, that's one of the funny examples of Fed-Up Deconstruction.

That's bad enough as it is...NOW hitch it to the new national movement to blame-and-shame anime fans, and the industry that "creates" them, for "Hanging on to their childhoods" instead of going out into the sunlight and getting a responsible paying job. That's a dangerous combination, especially in a country where people in a majority generally don't like to disagree.
It used to be in the early 00's that anime fans were depicted in Japanese media as still watching cutesy preschool Doraemon clones--qv. Nodame's addiction to Puri-Gorota on "Nodame Cantabile"--or dated so-80's robot shows (remember when wearing a Char helmet was = "I'm an otaku nerd"?), now they're depicted as being full-time addicted to magical girls, Love Live singing idols, or anything else where their sweet virginal "2D waifu" might happen to be.
And the fact that most magical girls happen to be underage, has, ahem, not gone unnoticed by their detractors.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:15 am Reply with quote
I watched Tutu back when it was available on Hulu and loved it. Happy to finally own it on Bluray. (and contemplating a subbed rewatch to celebrate)

And I was pleasantly surprised to see some Pretear love in this thread. That show is so underappreciated. If it ever got a new release, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Yeah, that's...basically a good way of putting it. Confused
Sato's lovably optimistic stumblebums

While its nice to see all the Sato appreciation, I feel I really need to point out that the MAIN creative force behind Princess Tutu was character designer (and series creator) Ikuko Itoh. Sato did indeed direct the show and no doubt made many contributions, but the core of it is all Itoh.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
If you told me a decade ago that I'd not only willingly sit through a show called "Princess Tutu," but would go so far as to call it a legitimate masterpiece, I would have called you stark-raving mad, but here we are. Like a lot of people, my first bit of exposure to it was That One Music Video, but it wasn't until several years later that I sat down and watched it, and it really is that fantastic.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:05 am Reply with quote
Here is a discussion thread that has links to other Princess Tutu-related discussions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3