• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Zombie Land Saga is Anime General Election 2018's Top Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Kicksville wrote:
Quote:
"Tomarun janēzo" ("Don't you ever stop." Quote by Orga Itsuka from Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans)

I know saying "I wonder how Japanese fans generally feel about this show" is about as vague and less than helpful a thing to say as "I wonder how American fans generally feel about this show" - but really, I thought Orga was actually somehow legit popular until it was pointed out to me that this whole thing is part of a meme dunking on the guy.
Interesting! Can you share the meme?

So importantly, it revolves around a big giant spoiler for IBO, so be warned.

spoiler[It's all about Orga's death scene, in which the music swells while he lies face down in a ridiculous pointing pose, saying to never stop going forward. Saturday Night Fever is often mentioned when describing it, if that tells you anything. Apparently it made people bust out laughing.

Here are two particular examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vgRmw-mDbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb3O5Prqixk

A common element, shown in the first, is the large bodied Orga running animation, although I'm not sure where that part originates from. There's also been public displays, like people keeling over and mimmicking the pose together, or this:
https://twitter.com/chlorobenz_46/status/1084247706371944449

止まるんじゃねぇぞ… is the term to search for.]

So while this basically all stems from the unintentional ridiculousness of what was supposed to be an important scene, I'm not sure if it's an indication of a widespread distaste for the show, or if it's got nothing to do with relative "serious" popularity one way or another.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
Gave the first four episodes of Zombie Land Saga a look tonight and... I want to like it a lot more than I actually do, to be honest.

Still rather enjoying it on the whole, think a lot of the other characters are hilarious (especially Tae), and definitely intend to watch more but man, every time Kotaro opens his mouth it just drags the show down for me. I find him unbelievably annoying and don't think he's had a single funny moment after the first episode. Just find him a millstone on the series.

Either way, yeah. My favorite shows of 2018 personally are definitely Place Further Than the Universe and Hinamatsuri.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Zombie Land Saga started out really good! But many of its best episodes are early on. The Mud festival/Chicken commercial one was awesome.

The show then weaves into more personal territory and tones down the humor for some more serious themes.

I don't feel it ended as strongly, at least not in terms of the humour department that I was expecting out of it. And wished the show was more about the girls on various escapades, but eh...

Still a pretty good show overall, the only episode I didn't like was spoiler[the one of the emotionally abusive dad who's immature son turned trans (as a result of the pressure or whatever...?) that one was just uncomfortable and creepy thematically overall, even for a show about zombies.] Either way, I wouldn't put it at #1, but there're some very memorable episodes!

I still haven't finished watching everything from the year. Still catching up on SSS.Gridman, which is very very good. I was also a fan of Darling in the Franxx, but it kind of went overboard towards the end in a way that was too predictable and overly sappy, but it's definitely a runner-up.

Of course Jojo's has been killing it.

I liked Goblin Slayer too. It's not Top Ten material, but it was a very satisfying watch and I look forward to more. The same for Reincarnated-Slime. Both those shows know what they're about and deliver more or less what you expect out of them.

SAO is still going, and regardless of the sentiment many have towards the franchise, I'm still enjoying it for what it is. It's not lacking for ideas, even though it has a habit of not going far with them and other inconsistencies, but so far the Alicization arc has been refreshingly different, though that one ep with the spoiler[attempted rape] was so bad I was laughing at how ridiculous it all was.

That's all I remember from this year... There's probably a bunch more I've forgotten about, and some I'm still watching. But if I had to pick a #1, it'd be Golden Kamuy.
Flü

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
So while this basically all stems from the unintentional ridiculousness of what was supposed to be an important scene, I'm not sure if it's an indication of a widespread distaste for the show, or if it's got nothing to do with relative "serious" popularity one way or another.

It's not really an indication of distaste for the show. Both the show and Orga have been legitimately very popular in Japan and that scene did have some strong impact when it aired, despite having this very heavy-handed, potentially ridiculous symbolism.
You gotta remember that memes usually emerge from stuff that is somehow iconic, which can both be because it's ridiculous and/or just very memorable. Nina from FMA and tons of stuff from NGE have become a meme, and not because people wanted to "dunk" on it.

Orga and his pointing pose simply have become a meme because it's iconic, easily exploitable and from a popular, well-known series.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:29 am Reply with quote
Flü wrote:
Orga and his pointing pose simply have become a meme because it's iconic, easily exploitable and from a popular, well-known series.

Well, that's the thing - it didn't become a meme because the scene was iconic in the way they intended (at least not for everyone), it became a meme because it was unintentionally funny. So I remain unsure if it's considered a one-off screw up by those who see it that way or not. It's a stupidly general question on my end to a broad audience of course, since I'm sure I'd probably get several different answers if I was actually able to ask fans in Japan somehow. Just idle curiosity on my part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2