• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is It Possible To Kickstart Your Own Anime Series?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
This is a topic I think about quite a lot. After all there are some Korean web comics (or web-toons) that I deeply enjoy (mostly ones aimed towards more mature audiences like Lilith's Cord or Brawling Go! to name a few). It's a real shame hearing that the animation industry overseas is lacking the sort of creativity we see in all these web comics.

Would it be difficult for these web comic artists to suddenly work in animation?

They might not be able to animate their ideas right away (I can understand that) but it's still possible that they might eventually work their way up to that (maybe).
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of good old Fred Perry, creator of the Gold Digger franchise. He's been making that comic for longer than I've been alive, and about a decade and change ago he was even able to get an OVA for it off the ground!

It's just one episode, and it looks terrible, but he did it! Very Happy (Also it's Gold Digger, nobody cares about Gold Digger.)

So the lesson is, even if you *do* have the materials to get this kind of project off the ground, you may not have the tools needed to make it work. Passion and fan support only take you so far.

In their primes, the Penny Arcade folks might have been able to do this kind of thing. Maybe. In their prime. And all their connections that helped them get PAX off the ground. But your average webcomic today? Your Mènáge-é-Threes, your Ava's Demons, your Cucumber Quests', Girls With Slingshots', your Ooglafs? They don't have that kind of money to make anything better than a Gold Digger OVA.
Mario Di Giacomo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
This reminds me of good old Fred Perry, creator of the Gold Digger franchise. He's been making that comic for longer than I've been alive, and about a decade and change ago he was even able to get an OVA for it off the ground!

It's just one episode, and it looks terrible, but he did it! Very Happy (Also it's Gold Digger, nobody cares about Gold Digger.).

Technically, it's 3 episodes. And the only way Fred was able to do it was by animating it himself!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Also Gold Digger never made it to TV or cable. A passion project for its creator. I like Gold Digger too.

Be nice if we had an animation of Girl Genius.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 am Reply with quote
How could Justin have overlooked CTRL + ALT + DEL: The Animated Series?! It's proof positive that you can get an animated series of a webcomic made, even if it shouldn't be!
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
I actually bought that Gold Digger animation on DVD because I liked the comic. I felt so cheated -- the thing was basically the characters in the show changing poses for however long it ran. Oh, and there was a dragon drinking tea, I think? Possibly with his pinkie out too, like a proper gentleman?

Outside of that, I had no idea what was going on. Which puzzled me at the time, because the comics weren't hard to follow at all.
NickPG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:51 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
How could Justin have overlooked CTRL + ALT + DEL: The Animated Series?! It's proof positive that you can get an animated series of a webcomic made, even if it shouldn't be!

Whatever your feelings about CTRL +ALT + DEL its hardback Kickstarter raised $665,725 so it's clearly a big deal with its fans.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I find this a bit confusing. According to Justin's article the real crux of the problem is getting a skilled producer onboard. That makes sense. But why is finding a producer so difficult? It seems that this is a problem which can be solved with money: hire one. If none are willing to sign onto the project at a given price....offer more money.

I think there would be a need for a Kickstarter for the Kickstarter. Producers are not cheap. Most people don't have the money just to pay one out of pocket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:27 am Reply with quote
Mario Di Giacomo wrote:
FinalVentCard wrote:

It's just one episode, and it looks terrible, but he did it! Very Happy (Also it's Gold Digger, nobody cares about Gold Digger.).

Technically, it's 3 episodes. And the only way Fred was able to do it was by animating it himself!

Christ, I didn't know that! That's even sadder!

Michelle Czajkowski, creator of Ava's Demon, has little animated interludes between her chapters, but they're very quick and simple affairs. More like "motion comics" than full-on animation. That Fred Perry took on the undertaking of animating three (!!!) episodes on his own... woof. No wonder it was bad!

Another factor I don't think gets enough attention for animation: even if you're good and you have the right tools, it's extremely time-consuming. I follow the artist Mike Inel, and he makes his own animated clips. They're pretty famous [citation needed], but at most about three minutes long. These can take him anywhere upwards of six months to animate, for something as short as a minute and a half.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:30 am Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:

Would it be difficult for these web comic artists to suddenly work in animation?

They might not be able to animate their ideas right away (I can understand that) but it's still possible that they might eventually work their way up to that (maybe).

Work as in? Animator? Story writer? Character designer?

If they're popular enough, sure. It's not that strange to have mangaka doing character design or story for anime. Though, your chance getting adaptation rather than trying yourself, unless the artist is insane enough and have skills to back up their insanity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2