• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Wins Critics' Choice Award Over Mirai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
I've seen typical anime and typical anime can vary from mediocre to utter crap, Boruto included as bad as fellow mediocre or crap Western cartoons, even worse in multiple cases.

Really? You must have even higher standards than me if this is considered bad to you, let alone "even worse". I think it's good.

relyat08 wrote:
You said anime is "expected to be beautiful", as if that is its default presentation and is what everyone just knows it to be. 'Oh yeah, of course, Anime! Yeah, that's the stuff that's beautiful!' And yeah, that's not true.

Just going to point out I never said "everyone thinks this way", just that anime in general is more detailed than American animation. Not seeing how that's some controversial statement.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
I've seen typical anime and typical anime can vary from mediocre to utter crap, Boruto included as bad as fellow mediocre or crap Western cartoons, even worse in multiple cases.

Really? You must have even higher standards than me if this is considered bad to you, let alone "even worse". I think it's good.

I love Boruto. And Naruto Shippuden. In fact, I'd say I'm one of the franchises biggest championers when it comes to its production. As far as Sakuga is concerned, I think it, by far, has the best animation highlights in the shonen space. But that doesn't mean the whole show is that way. I'm not denying the quality of Huang's work, or either of the Yamashita's, or Fujisawa, Kutsuna, or any of the other incredible talents who have worked on the show. But a highlight reel isn't exactly a fair example of the entire show. There are also a lot of weak episodes all throughout the franchise.

Lord Oink wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
You said anime is "expected to be beautiful", as if that is its default presentation and is what everyone just knows it to be. 'Oh yeah, of course, Anime! Yeah, that's the stuff that's beautiful!' And yeah, that's not true.

Just going to point out I never said "everyone thinks this way", just that anime in general is more detailed than American animation. Not seeing how that's some controversial statement.

You didn't say anime is more detailed, you said "Mirai is beautiful, but it's anime, so it's expected to look beautiful." Very clearly stating that ANIME. IS. EXPECTED. TO. BE. BEAUTIFUL. Which struck me as a pretty ridiculous thing to say, obviously. Anime is NOT expected to be beautiful by anyone I know. Sometimes it absolutely is, but people aren't just turning on any anime with the expectation that it's going to be beautiful because it's anime. And whether intentional or not, that's 100% what was implied by your statement.
Also, for what it's worth, if we're comparing movies to movies, anime is not really more detailed. At least not in the animation department. Maybe you could argue there is more detail in the static art in some works, but that's certainly not universal either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3