• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Winter 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I would have been dumbfounded if it hadn't. In my view the only more certain shoe-ins were Mob Psycho, Promised Neverland, and Shield Hero.

Yeah, I think people are expecting those four plus Kaguya-sama to be the five that generate the most discussion this season.
BWprowl
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Bummed that BanG Dream! didn’t make it. Hopefully a season review when it’s done?

Considering that the first season didn't make the cut either, it's not really surprising. They'll probably review it when it comes out on disk, as with the first season.

I'll be planning to submit a series review of it once it's finished airing, actually.

Key wrote:
It's not just lolicon, either; BL, reverse-harem, and soft SOL series also rarely make the cut, although in the latter case I have to think it's because commentary on them wouldn't be that interesting.

Hah, yeah, I remember covering Mitsuboshi Colors last year and was surprised how hard it could be to find a decent amount of stuff to say about it some weeks. The learning experiences of writing reviews!
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Only omissions I see that I would have liked to see covered are Date a Live III & Kotobuki. Other than that I think everything I wanted to see covered was picked up Smile

Key wrote:
I'll probably be following Kotobuki, so there's a high chance it will get a season-summary review if it doesn't eventually get picked up.

Great! Looking forward to reading it at the end of the season Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Everything I voted for made it!
Thespacemaster wrote:
Good thing Theron is the one reviewing Shield Hero, he always has a better perspective when it comes to reviewing fantasy anime.
Ditto
Bwhahaha! Everything I wanted is covered too and I wholeheartedly agree about SH. Actually thought they would have refused to do it even with enough votes because...But James, I'm so sorry about W'z Embarassed Still, if anyone can make it entertaining, it's you! Also, I voted Kemikerusa over Kemono2 primarily because Ep1 has started streaming and from that and knowing Kadokawa, I think it's more of a "known quantity".
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I think Mr. Beckett is just fine with W’z. I’m sure he’d rather review that over some of the shows this season and I know for a fact that he would rather watch W’z than rewatch one of the series he reviewed last year. Really, I would only be sorry for him having to review a show this season if he had somehow gotten SH, and I think that was unlikely.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I wish Rebecca Silverman were reviewing that Grimm's fairytales show. I had no interest in the show, but Rebecca's academic background in stories and fairytales is so interesting I'd read her reviews of it anyway!

I'm glad Morose Mononekian II is getting a review, I thought the first episode was a bit slow but the second episode offered some intriguing speculation into Haruitsuki's character.

Calling it now, Mob Psycho 2 will be anime of the season, followed by The Promised Neverland and Dororo (which looks absolutely fantastic and is adapting a classic).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
Wow, everything I voted for got in except Kemono Friends 2 and Meiji Tokyo Renka. Since I'm still a bit iffy on the latter myself, I'm not too disappointed, but since it has a lot of the same crew as Kamisama Kiss, I figured I'd end up watching it anyway and it'd be nice to have some company. Very Happy

I have this sinking feeling that James' reviews of W'z are going to lure me into watching it. Anime dazed
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Uzamaid didn't last season, either, and I don't think that's a coincidence. Even though there are ardent lolicon supporters who frequent this site, titles which even mildly lean in that direction and don't have some other compelling aspect in their favor (like Happy Sugar Life) never get much support for episode reviews.

IMO Uzamaid indeed has said "other compelling aspect". I can understand that having the main character being a raging lolicon has the same kind of knee jerk reaction to the series that Cross Ange had for the scene at the end of episode 1, but beneath all the jokes, the varying quality of the animation and larger than life characters, there is a heartwarming story which is not cliche (it is rare that a series blatantly uses a chekhov gun without making me predict the ending several episodes beforehand).

I would like to see Theron make a series review (since I know Rebecca would not be able to dismiss Kamoi's behavior as par for the course), but alas, it is clear that no one at ANN saw the complete series.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:32 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I wish Rebecca Silverman were reviewing that Grimm's fairytales show. I had no interest in the show, but Rebecca's academic background in stories and fairytales is so interesting I'd read her reviews of it anyway!

Ah! Grimms, I thought I forgot about something when I scanned the list. Too bad it didn't make the cut, I wanted to see how it turns out by following along here.

Maybe someone will do a season review if it draws their interest.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:18 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I still feel sorry for James. Nobody should be forced into writing about something they maybe don't want to, just for the sake of other's entertainent. I bet half the people who voted for W's won't even make it halfway through.

Also, Rose, please be kind to My Roommate is a Cat.
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:46 am Reply with quote
A bit surprised, and mildly disappointed, that Kotobuki didn't make the cut, especially considering some of the other stuff that did. Otherwise, a pretty good list, with some stuff I was hoping to see in but didn't actually expect to.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:39 am Reply with quote
James Beckett
W'z

OH SHIT!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:10 am Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
I don't know, I still feel sorry for James. Nobody should be forced into writing about something they maybe don't want to, just for the sake of other's entertainent. I bet half the people who voted for W's won't even make it halfway through.

I bet he volunteered when it got enough votes to be covered, just like the first time, so I don’t think anyone was forced into reviewing it. I haven’t gotten around to the second episode yet, but if anyone who is watching and voted for W’z drops it halfway, it probably won’t be because it was too awful to continue, but rather that it was not as boldly bad as the original and they got bored of it.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:36 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
IMO Uzamaid indeed has said "other compelling aspect". I can understand that having the main character being a raging lolicon has the same kind of knee jerk reaction to the series that Cross Ange had for the scene at the end of episode 1, but beneath all the jokes, the varying quality of the animation and larger than life characters, there is a heartwarming story which is not cliche (it is rare that a series blatantly uses a chekhov gun without making me predict the ending several episodes beforehand).

The problem is that the "heartwarming story" is not evident in episode 1, and the first episode (sometimes 2 if the series debuted in the first couple of days of the season) is what determines streaming reviews.

Quote:
I would like to see Theron make a series review (since I know Rebecca would not be able to dismiss Kamoi's behavior as par for the course), but alas, it is clear that no one at ANN saw the complete series.

I'm not ruling out going back to it eventually, as the first episode was quite funny despite the ick factor, but it's not a priority at this time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Ah! Grimms, I thought I forgot about something when I scanned the list. Too bad it didn't make the cut, I wanted to see how it turns out by following along here.

Maybe someone will do a season review if it draws their interest.

I'm definitely thinking about it - I have to conquer my annoyance at the whole "fairy tales don't evolve" conceit of the show, though, because I'm not generally a hate-watcher. Smile They paid good attention to LRRH tales, though, so I may give it a second episode and go from there. Meiji Tokyo Renka, on the other hand, I'll definitely be following and writing up at series' end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4