• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Winter 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Meiji Tokyo Renka, on the other hand, I'll definitely be following and writing up at series' end.

Good, because that one may be an "I don't have time for it" casualty for me despite the history that they're working into it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
How did Date A Live miss the cut? The franchise is hugely successful.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
I believe only Theron has seen both the previous seasons and he didn't seem to be all that interested in the 3rd season. On top of that Index S3 (which Theron is already reviewing weekly) airs the same day as Date A Live.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Rika Hue wrote:
I don't know, I still feel sorry for James. Nobody should be forced into writing about something they maybe don't want to, just for the sake of other's entertainent. I bet half the people who voted for W's won't even make it halfway through.
I bet he volunteered when it got enough votes to be covered, just like the first time, so I don’t think anyone was forced into reviewing it. I haven’t gotten around to the second episode yet, but if anyone who is watching and voted for W’z drops it halfway, it probably won’t be because it was too awful to continue, but rather that it was not as boldly bad as the original and they got bored of it.
Such a contrarian...I think characterizing what happens when divying-up the reviews from descriptions of seasons past as "volunteering" is misleading. More like "this show is like the one you reviewed before so would you...?" Maybe not technically forced to do it but I "feel bad" (more like sorry) because I'll bet he didn't jump up and say "Yes! I'd love to review what looks like my worst show of all time". He said this: "When Studio GoHands initially announced W'z as a standalone series, the thought of another show that was even similar to Hand Shakers gave me great cause to worry...". And I nominated it without thinking of the consequences, thinking maybe they would "give" it to one of the new reviewers like they did with James for a while. And I'm likely not to watch it anyway even though I actually liked HandShakers because it's on Hidive and I doubt it will be good/bad enough to justify yet another subscription like Amazon...
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:16 pm Reply with quote
If James had any reservations about reviewing Hand Shakers Too, we would honor them. We don't ever pressure our staff to write about material that they don't want to cover.

And to the person who asked how WATATEN did in the poll, it did very poorly, as did Uzamaid.
zenbud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Where the hell is the review for Kemono Friends 2?
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Surprised Circus wasn't drop, can't imagine many people still watch it.

I'm one of its viewers, but this past arc has me thinking about dropping it. The first few episodes were reasonably compelling with the relationship among Narumi, Shirogane, and Masaru. Now we are in the middle of a somewhat ridiculous fighting arc involving characters I have little interest in. If the show doesn't regain its emotional core, it won't be on my list much longer.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there's definitely no need to feel sorry for me Smile I play up the franchise's faults for laughs, but I've definitely never been forced to review anything I didn't want to. I'm hoping W'z will be fun, though I can't say for sure what form that "fun" will take.
ncikz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
disappointing not to see The Magnificent Kotobuki on the list, with Girls Und Panzer having such a following i thought it'd be more anticipated
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
BWprowl wrote:
Hah, yeah, I remember covering Mitsuboshi Colors last year and was surprised how hard it could be to find a decent amount of stuff to say about it some weeks. The learning experiences of writing reviews!

My favorite reviewer quote ever was during the airing of Tsuki ga Kirei... About midway through the season the reviewer posted "the hardest thing about reviewing this series is not just simply filling the page with so cute, so good!"

kinghumanity wrote:
How did Date A Live miss the cut? The franchise is hugely successful.

Not successful enough to poll highly enough it seems.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Such a contrarian...I think characterizing what happens when divying-up the reviews from descriptions of seasons past as "volunteering" is misleading. More like "this show is like the one you reviewed before so would you...?" Maybe not technically forced to do it but I "feel bad" (more like sorry) because I'll bet he didn't jump up and say "Yes! I'd love to review what looks like my worst show of all time".

The ANN staff has made it clear in the past the reviewers sign up (volunteer) for which shows they would be willing to cover - and then they match those volunteers to the results of the reader poll. If James is reviewing W'z, it's because he agreed to do so.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Yeah, there's definitely no need to feel sorry for me Smile I play up the franchise's faults for laughs, but I've definitely never been forced to review anything I didn't want to. I'm hoping W'z will be fun, though I can't say for sure what form that "fun" will take.
Glad to hear it directly! Now I can read guilt-free and looking forward to it Smile

@DerekL1963- I based my comments on the HandShakers reviews but I didn't mean to insinuate coercion was at work so much as sometimes there is a confluence in volunteering of cohorts preferring not to handle a task and both they and you recognize you are the best choice for it even if it isn't exactly "fun". You agree to do it, no bent feelings and one is compensated for the effort so no complaints. Then there are things you just jump at the opportunity to volunteer for which are a joy and that is the distinction I was describing.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I'm definitely thinking about it - I have to conquer my annoyance at the whole "fairy tales don't evolve" conceit of the show, though, because I'm not generally a hate-watcher. Smile They paid good attention to LRRH tales, though, so I may give it a second episode and go from there.

Hopefully it ends up being worth writing about =)
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:

If this is true then it's beyond my understanding how you wanted to do the weekly Death March reviews, there was no episode where you didn't complain about every little detail. And it wasn't even in the middle of the series, from the beginning you showed you had problems with it xD.

Anyway, WataTen is being great but I agree that it would be difficult to do a weekly review. On the other hand, it should also be clear that although the premise sounds like Uza Maid, the show is far from the degenerate level of that series (though Uza Maid had a lot of other things to offer and I ended up enjoying it a lot).

A shame for Date a Live 3, I enjoyed the first episode a lot and it seems that it will be as much fun as the previous seasons, hopefully at least it can maintain the visual quality of the first episode (which was not a wonder either, but it was fine).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4