• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Do Acquires MyAnimeList Website

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:38 am Reply with quote
I wonder how this will affect MAL, i am thinking about Media Do will ban an link to an illegal and unlicensed sites, and that we won't be able link it without it. MAL has always been opened for an linking to an illegal unlicensed, but with Media Do aquasiciton, i'm thiniking about MAL changing the rules that No link to an illegal and unlicensed sites.
Alessa_SH1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:12 am Reply with quote
What ANN does better is that a you Embarassed can discuss the news in a forum is very boring the way MAL do things, that's my only complain.

Last edited by Alessa_SH1 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Puniyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
As long as they don't mess with the actual Anime List feature, I don't care. I've had an account for 11 years and in that time, I've used the forums a grand total of once and I have 0 interest the e-book format. I really rely on the site for actually keeping track of my anime watchlist though.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
I will say one feature I did use more in the past, when I had more time on my hands, was the group function. It was nice finding little groups for specific shows or topics. You could discuss things there but not be in the actual main forums. The last time I chatted in one of those groups (an Oh My Goddess group actually) however was like 2 or 3 years ago. It's been a while.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Man I have problems with that site.

I hope they can do something about the toxicity rampant there.

Seriously there are way too many not-so-nice-people there.

This. I remember making a thread on there once, and the replies were nothing but mean remarks. Mad
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy MAL and the forums, but there are plenty of things that need fixing that I hope Media Do does a better job with then DeNA.

1. Make the API public again.
2. Faster processing time for updates/submissions to the database. Rather this means more volunteers for approving these things or giving users who meet a certain criteria permission to add information on their own (sort of like ANN's process, but slightly more moderated), it shouldn't take up to two months for the background information I submitted to be approved.
3. Fix the age rating system, or at least make it more consistent. Add more detailed content warnings. Anything with nipples is flagged as "Mild Nudity", implying there's no difference between Ranma 1/2 and Yosuga no Sora.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
And absolutely, it's very hard to find mature anime fans-- the posters here are mostly civil, but I tend to avoid the MAL and Crunchyroll forums, since the people there are often younger or more immature.

Some of us continue to hang out at AnimeSuki.

I maintain a list at MAL and often contribute in the Recommendations forum. I'll occasionally look at a forum thread about a show I'm watching, but that's pretty much the extent of my use of MAL.

To the person who said that the ANN Encyclopedia is less helpful than MAL, it depends a lot on what you're looking for. Only ANN maintains such extensive staff lists for each show; the ones at MAL are a joke. Want to find the composer for a score that caught your attention? How about finding out who voiced a certain supporting character you like? ANN has all this stuff; MAL has little or none.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
I have no interest in a cataloging site that lists 10 illegal ways to "own" a series before it lists a generic commercial DVD option. Site's always endorsed and promoted piracy, even if it's officially become less prominent in recent years, and it's still clearly the go-to option for its obnoxiously immature userbase. Certainly not for me.

Maybe the buyout by another publisher will add slightly more credibility to the site.

Wow. I don't think I've ever come across an opinion that I disagree with more. MAL is a cataloging website, nothing more, nothing less. By simply having the options for you to select, it is not "promoting" piracy any more than computers are promoting piracy by allowing you to make copies of files. Regardless of your stance on piracy, it would be foolish and naive to believe that people don't pirate anime for a myriad of reasons.

If anything, this mentality is what precisely ruined MAL. The fact that it's been attempting to gain "credibility" by becoming another garbage commercialized website, straying from its main goal and objective in the process. All it was and needs to be is a forum for anime fans to talk about anime and catalog their anime watch progress.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Never really used MAL as an anime list since it lacks certain features like searching for specific details, tags, customization and other stuff I consider crucial for an anime list managing site (I use anisearch instead). Also I think it is visually outdated and a "new vision" could really help the site from a design standpoint.

But I like the MAL forum, especially the episode discussions. I can't find opinions and discussions of certain episodes of obscure anime anywhere else on the net. Also, I always immediately get help if I'm looking for specific anime/manga recommendations.

I just hope Media Do won't mess with the forum too much.
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Can't say the site would be better off with the new owners or the existing ones. But I tend to get bad vibes when I hear about site acquisitions and new visions for same, particularly given that I use MAL quite frequently.
Physco Fish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:38 am Reply with quote
I just hope any major changes to the site are limited expanding it as a manga distribution platform. I've tried out a number of other anime listing sites over the years and nothing has ever been able to get me to stray from MAL, although some sites certainly have more in-depth databases(and ones that are updated in a more timely manner). But I'm a little anxious that the stuff I love about MAL(old school UI and high level of customization) would be the first things to go in any attempt to "update" ... Hopefully if they do do some drastic overhaul to try to pull back the people who want the web 2.0 look from Anilist we atleast get an old.myanimelist like what Reddit has done to let people avoid it's garish redesign
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
I just want a decent database of anime that I can easily make lists from!

I'm confident that Media Do will release their toughest efforts to monetize my presence on MAL, but I'm okay with that as long as they don't make the database worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3