• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinichiro Watanabe, BONES' Original Carole & Tuesday Anime Reveals More Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
eekin wrote:

Sci-fi has always been about looking at society and seeing where positive and negative extremes of technology will take us. There are plenty of stories about youtube, facebook, etc. using algorithms to decide what's on our "feed" or "recommended" list. "Surfing the net" isn't so much a thing anymore. People don't seek content as a whole, people go to social media sites to see "what's happening", but those same sites use algorithms to say "what's happening". It's not to farfetched to see that idea be extended to content creation. "We've already designed the algorithms that show what people like, so let's just have algorithms(A.I.) make what they like as well." It's a hyperbolic take on humanity, but again that's what sci-fi has always been.

Oh I got nothing against the idea that AI make culture. The embarrassing part is that the show present that as some sort of negative/shameful thing. Like "how dare these people enjoy amazing culture made by specialized AI that can outdo human, they should instead enjoy the inferior stuff made by human!". That's the reasoning of someone who's still in high school, not a team a long time veteran.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Oh I got nothing against the idea that AI make culture. The embarrassing part is that the show present that as some sort of negative/shameful thing. Like "how dare these people enjoy amazing culture made by specialized AI that can outdo human, they should instead enjoy the inferior stuff made by human!". That's the reasoning of someone who's still in high school, not a team a long time veteran.

I really don't know how you can think that. Setting aside for a moment whether that's a legitimate idea to have, it's a very common opinion among artists and creatives, people whose livelihoods are dependent on being able to create art that people want. It's a perfectly logical thing to have anxieties about. Look up Hayao Miyazaki's utter disgust at AI-created animation prototypes for a clear example of what I'm talking about.

And furthermore, there is a very common opinion, not just among creatives but consumers as well, that there is something intrinsically good about art made by people with passion and real emotions, compared to pop hits (for example) generated by an algorithm. There is nothing at all cringy about this show's premise for believing in that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2