• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Were Anime Budgets So Big In The 80s?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
When I first got into the fandom in the '90s, I remember being more amazed by the art direction and framerate of '80s anime OVAs and movies compared to what was new at the time. Anime like Robot Carnival, Akira, and Project A-ko looked like they went all out with their animation even approaching Disney-quality levels. '90s anime movies like Ghost in the Shell (1995) and Tenchi Muyo In Love looked as though the animation was more constrained by comparison. Like if an object wasn't required to move, it stayed stagnant.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote
With talk about the anti-Japan sentiment in the 80s in America, I can only imagine how hard it must have been for anime clubs to function the way they did and the efforts the anime community made at the time to spread their hobby.

This is why I feel that the 20th century fandom doesn't get enough recognition for its efforts in pioneering anime into the media powerhouse that it is today.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
The only major Japanese buyout of an American company that still seems weird to me is Columbia Pictures, seeing the Sony logo before a movie starts and ends looks so out of place beacause I always see Sony as a tech company.
Speaking of anime, it seems that the 80s was the only time for people like Miyazaki and Takahata to open their own studio (and even then I heard that they had problems to secure funds),

...and it seemed weird to me seeing a Disney logo at the start of a Studio Ghibli anime (Ponyo).

Over here, Mitsubishi Motors took over Chrysler Australia many years ago, and more recently Japan Post bought Toll Holdings (transport/logistics company).
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:23 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

Over here, Mitsubishi Motors took over Chrysler Australia many years ago, and more recently Japan Post bought Toll Holdings (transport/logistics company).

I mistakenly read that as Mitsuboshi Colors at first, and thought, "MAN, what have those three grade schoolers been up to??? Laughing
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
And don't forget that much of the animation from America in the 80s that wasn't done by Filmation or shipped to Taiwan, Korea or Australia was done in Japan (think early DiC, Transformers, Centurions, DuckTales and the like. Even the Smurfs had one of its seasons co-animated by Toei).

I came here hoping that someone would have mentioned this. Some of the best 'American' animation cartoons in the 1980s were drawn in Japan, like Jem.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
With talk about the anti-Japan sentiment in the 80s in America, I can only imagine how hard it must have been for anime clubs to function the way they did and the efforts the anime community made at the time to spread their hobby.

This is why I feel that the 20th century fandom doesn't get enough recognition for its efforts in pioneering anime into the media powerhouse that it is today.

I'll toast to that.

FLCLGainax wrote:
When I first got into the fandom in the '90s, I remember being more amazed by the art direction and framerate of '80s anime OVAs and movies compared to what was new at the time. Anime like Robot Carnival, Akira, and Project A-ko looked like they went all out with their animation even approaching Disney-quality levels. '90s anime movies like Ghost in the Shell (1995) and Tenchi Muyo In Love looked as though the animation was more constrained by comparison. Like if an object wasn't required to move, it stayed stagnant.

Yeah, this was one aspect that intrigued me the most. While the 80's in terms of aesthetics was either hit or miss for me, there was certainly a good deal of energy you could feel from looking back on the decade. That's what I liked about the age the most, and even if the subject matter in anime at the time wasn't as appealing to me as it was post 1990, that energy was certainly in the big budget anime of the era.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
My question is why did these studios get so much money to make these OVA's, movies and TV shows

I grew up in the 80s and starting watching anime in earnest maybe right at 1990, so it included a lot of the 80s stuff. And from my recollection I would scratch TV shows off that list. The OVAs and films, but most definitely the OVAs, seemed big budget animation wise, but TV shows on the other hand were pretty crappy budget wise. Ranma 1/2 and Kimagure Orange Road episodes like the rest of the shows all took shortcuts and economic animation measures whenever they could.

It also didn't help matter that a lot of shows often ran for a year or more because of their large episode counts (50 to 100+ eps. was the norm in those days) as the cour system really didn't exist in the form it does today. Inevitably, the animation was gonna suffer as a lot of those series had a lot of errors both in the animation and the sound at times.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:

It also didn't help matter that a lot of shows often ran for a year or more because of their large episode counts (50 to 100+ eps. was the norm in those days) as the cour system really didn't exist in the form it does today. Inevitably, the animation was gonna suffer as a lot of those series had a lot of errors both in the animation and the sound at times.

I think that most TV anime from those days tended to run in multiples of 13 episodes, with 26 being the most common. But just like One Piece or Naruto today there were a handful of long-running shows which had many many more episodes--including pretty much anything by Rumiko Takahashi.
Violynne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:24 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Answerman may actually be understating the extent of anti-Japanese racism in the 80s.

America, where any threat perceived, real or not, turns into a race issue. See current trend regarding a wall and immigrants.

Enough of this bullshit.

The reality of the situation is Japan was making money as America was losing it. US corporations were starting the mass production of planned obsolescence (still relevant today) while companies like Sony, Toyota, and Honda were making products better (original Hondas, for the record, were horrible cars!).

Of course the US took insult to this. Rather than compete, they simply sold out.

One of the biggest replies about "Japan buying up the US" was "Then maybe they shouldn't sell".

The Japanese were literally overpaying for properties, because Justin was right: they had money to throw away, and greed just took over from there.

What's really telling is how anime of the 80s mirrored what happened in Japan. Careless lead to a crash, and Japan hasn't seen a boom like that since.

Then again, probably due to being much more cautious.

Now, the US is selling out to China, which means Chinese living in the US have about a decade before they become the next target of American stupidity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3