• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Fruits Basket Anime Premieres in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
I hope it will be good, because the last time I watched a remade anime was Houshin Engi, and it was so awful that I dropped it after 4 episodes.
I haven't watched the old Fruits Basket, but I'll give this one a try (as for the remake of Majutsushi Orphen).
We have had good anime reboots before like FMA Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter. Given the manga author's hatred of the original Fruits Basket, I doubt she would sign onto it if she didn't have confidence in the anime staff. And it's not like Fruits Basket is being made by a studio with a troubled history with bad animation like Toei. As long as it's not rushing through the material and the animation is of good quality, it should be fine. TMS made Megalobox last year as an anniversary reboot of Tomorrow's Joe and that was pretty well received by most fans. I'm glad to have my Funimation subscription now so I'm all ready to watch the reboot.

Quote:
Karakuri Circus is 3 cours.
Karakuri Circus is a shonen manga though. Besides Precure, the last shoujo anime I can think of that got longer than two cours was Sailor Moon Crystal but even then there was a long break between the second and third season and the Dream arc movies have been on a major delay for the last three years.

Quote:
I suspect many aren't going to like this adaptation as much as the first series. The first series focused more on the comedy, while the manga is rather soap-opera-y. Or maybe that's just my personal taste, since I've also heard the mangaka hated the first series.
I'm sure some casual fans who only watched the anime will be shocked by the drastic tone but a Fruits Basket reboot has been in high demand from anime fans for years. And I think even most casual fans are aware the manga author didn't approve of the original anime.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:05 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to this.

An April premiere means I would have enough time to finish the original anime...but I think I'll wait. See how the manga accurate story grabs me and then I can check out the original anime later.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:34 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it doesn't get the Sailor Moon treatment, honestly. The budget was non-existent and they never should have brought back the original voice for Usagi. She just doesn't fit a more serious/faithful rendition of the manga.

And yes, it's been a long time but I vaguely remember the author being unhappy with the original Fruits Basket adaptation, hence her asking for completely new staff. So I'd say bets are pretty good on this faithfully following the manga aka leaning heavily towards the drama/angst parts we remember from the original adaptation.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to this, I love the manga (have all the volumes) and I did like the original anime but I'm happy that this time it will be more faithful to the core story, I don't think they'd even think of bringing it back unless there was some confidence that there was a demand for it.

I just hope that fans give it a chance and don't immediately rush to judge, it will take time to get into the story and I've noticed that some fans seem real impatient for things to start off with a bang and if that doesn't happen they give up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2