• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Film Earns Estimated US$5 Million on U.S. Opening Day

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:20 am Reply with quote
Just went to see the movie with my brother and cousin.
It might be my favorite DBZ movie, yet. Just so damn epic with those fights!

Surprised Toriyama made Broly a more sympathetic character, this time around.
But I appreciate that he did that.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:53 am Reply with quote
The theater I when to had a 7:30pm showing that sold out by 4pm so they added a 7:20 showing, By the time I got to the theater 7:20 was selling out so they opened a 7:10 showing.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
I don't know if 5 million dollars is a good number for the U.S, but here in Latin America Dragon Ball is the number one movie of the week, it is even outperfoming other animated films that were released just now like Wreck it Ralph 2 and Spider-Man: Into the the Spider-verse combined. In fact, I went to see it yesterday with a friend and many screenings were sold out.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
The only question is:

Why Vic Mignogna and Dameon Clarke returned as Broly and Paragus? Is this because the dub of the brand new Dragon Ball movie used recording studios in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, Houston and Los Angeles?
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I don't know if 5 million dollars is a good number for the U.S, but here in Latin America Dragon Ball is the number one movie of the week, it is even outperfoming other animated films that were released just now like Wreck it Ralph 2 and Spider-Man: Into the the Spider-verse combined. In fact, I went to see it yesterday with a friend and many screenings were sold out.

Only in Mexico according to the Canacine it made 6,494,747.40 US dollars on it's opening weekend from 11 to 13 of January Wink (a little more or less give or take because the dollar-peso fluctuation as I made the convertion today).

There were no midnight showings; I am guessing they didn't want to make simultaneous 3-4 showings on a single theater at that instead of a more even weekend; but it just came and rolled all over the competition of that week, which to be honest it wasn't much just a Jennifer Lopez, an horror one and "Charming" something made by one producer of Shrek that it was just so dead on arrival considering everything else that was on the theater.

Aquaman, Creed. Spiderverse and other ones are still on showings are kinda of slowing down so I don't count them among the victims of the steamroller though Broly is probably going to do more money than Spiderverse as things are going.

Also it has made the same money Freeza one did... on 3 weeks... they hype is real.

No idea how many showings people in the US are having per day but I guessing money will just keep on coming.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
At this point, Funimation might as well just find a way to make wide releases instead of limited ones. The records the movie broke proves that it could do even better with a wide release.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Toei takes note of this to see just how successful Dragon Ball is here in the west and not make us wait almost two years to get the new series once the dub of Super is finished

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
This movie about to make more in america then it did in japan. Sounds like it already made more in Latin america.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
This movie about to make more in america then it did in japan. Sounds like it already made more in Latin america.

It won't. Event releases are extremely frontloaded. This will likely fail to hit $20 million (analysts are predicting a ~$15 mil. total). Still a huge success for those involved, though.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
#854626 wrote:

It won't. Event releases are extremely frontloaded. This will likely fail to hit $20 million (analysts are predicting a ~$15 mil. total). Still a huge success for those involved, though.

The weekend isn't here just yet. Not saying what it's going to hit but I have a feeling it may still do better this weekend than most pundits think it will do. Going to see it saturday myself and cant wait.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:11 am Reply with quote
Its a pretty damn amazing film.

They actually made Broly really lovable.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
So... what changed this time? Anime movies normally come and go with no fanfare. Was it in more theaters?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
So... what changed this time? Anime movies normally come and go with no fanfare. Was it in more theaters?

Dragon Ball isn't your average anime. It's connected to a much larger audience and Super has reinvigorated the franchise.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

It’s Dragon Ball one of the most popular anime
Franchises internationally.

Seriously think only Pokémon can probably compete with it.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Dragon Ball isn't your average anime. It's connected to a much larger audience and Super has reinvigorated the franchise.

Against all better judgement...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2