• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is the Moribito Jdrama available subbed anywhere?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
I have no idea where you would directly ask about Jdramas on this forum since there isn't a specific section for them, but recently I've been looking for the Moribito Jdrama and it seems like nobody ever released it with subtitles in western countries. I already have the anime on DVD.

All I've found is that AsianCrush seems to have the first episode (might be multiple episodes from Season 1 recut together) on their website and Amazon Prime:
https://www.asiancrush.com/video/024654v/moribito-guardian-of-the-spirit/
https://www.amazon.com/Moribito-Guardian-Spirit-Keiji-Kataoka/dp/B07FHXFTHJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1547909321&sr=1-1&keywords=Seirei+no+Moribito

It's different enough from the anime that I'd like to see the rest of it, but that's all there is. I know they did three seasons and a total of 22 episodes. And I see other people posting in English acting as if they've seen it.

What's funny is the official NHK site has English-language pages for all three seasons. Did they just release English subbed versions in other Asian countries or something?
https://www.nhk.or.jp/moribito/season3/en/
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
Legally no. But is it "available?" Yes.

I don't know what the NHK and Amazon were thinking when they started showing only initial episodes of lengthy series like Moribito or Yae no Sakura. The latter does have, I believe, a DVD release, but only of the first dozen episodes from a fifty-episode series. The level of frustration in the viewers' comments for these series shows what a wrong-headed decision this was.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:08 pm Reply with quote
For some reason three more episodes just showed up on Amazon Prime.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
Probably because those four episodes constitute the first season which covered the same material as the anime adaptation. There are two more, nine-episode seasons which draw from other novels in the Moribito series.

At least now there's a conclusion for the arc.

For some reason, Amazon hasn't collected these four episodes together in one place. They each appear as a separate work.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I am also very interested in this. I once looked into importing the discs but decided against it when I saw the price tags and lack of English subs. It was also scrubbed from Google when I looked for "alternative" means.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1