• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Promised Neverland

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
Flü wrote:
It's a shame that the series also has one of the sharpest quality drops I've ever seen after said first arc ends, now being maybe among the worst in JUMP imo.

Niello wrote:
It's a shame that the sourness leftover from reading the current chapters of the manga is interfering with my enjoyment of this, when the first arc is actually quite great.

Although I agree that the manga's current chapters almost feel like they're from a completely different series than the ones that the anime is covering, I think it's important to recognize that JUMP's readers seem to really like the current arc (if the "weekly rankings" that people keep referencing are to be believed).
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Although I agree that the manga's current chapters almost feel like they're from a completely different series than the ones that the anime is covering, I think it's important to recognize that JUMP's readers seem to really like the current arc (if the "weekly rankings" that people keep referencing are to be believed).

I *love* the arcs that come after what the anime will be presumably adapting, and while I have some issues with the pacing of the most recent chapters, I'm personally very interested to see where things go.

Though if I'm being honest, pacing is the issue I'd say that TPN struggles with the most, and something I'm hoping the anime can improve on. Some people have expressed concern that the first arc can't be adapted properly in 12 episodes, but I actually think that could improve the story significantly. 37ish chapters was probably about fifteen percent more than the arc needed in the manga.

Last edited by James_Beckett on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
^Okay, now i'm curious! Is the current manga arc really "bad" or just different from what some readers expected like the infamous "Farmland Arc" in Vinland Saga for example (personally, i don't mind some mild, properly tagged spoilers...)?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
^Okay, now i'm curious! Is the current manga arc really "bad" or just different from what some readers expected like the infamous "Farmland Arc" in Vinland Saga for example (personally, i don't mind some mild, properly tagged spoilers...)?

So, in Episode 2 of the anime, Emma says, spoiler["If there isn't one, then let's make a place for humans to live outside. Let's change the world."] That statement is a perfect description of the current manga arc, except things have turned out much more Shonen Jump-y than a lot of us were expecting.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
Thanks! I think with this (and carefully peeking at the latest chapters) i've got a vague idea now.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Great thriller so far. It really builds the suspense and piles on the dread. Izabella is also really menacing, putting on the maternal facade and also sending little hints that she knows what's going on
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:49 am Reply with quote
Just caught up and really enjoyed it. The first episode must have been quite a shock if you didn't know what you were getting in to. While I haven't read it, I've seen and heard enough that I knew about the general plot and could figure out the rest.
The BGM in the second episode was great too!
I'm looking forward to the rest of the season now, but it's too bad it's only 12 episodes as I'll probably have to pick up the manga once it finishes since I doubt I'll be able to wait for the 2nd season I'm sure we'll get in a year or so
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:17 am Reply with quote
BGM?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:07 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
BGM?

Background music.
alconnow_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the third episode. I’m a bit worried though... They’re cutting some stuff out which makes the series great like the mind games...
At first I thought they would rearrange scenes but it seems like it’s being left out altogether.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I agree with what James noted about the series needing to fall back on obnoxious stereotypes. The saving grace for Sister Krone in my opinion is how darn tense she makes the story. So at least her presence in the series has genuine purpose and brings tension. The anime did a wonderful job adapting the game of tag.

Even though they’re streamlining some of the intellectual splendor of the series, I enjoy the way they’re adapting moments that have been too heavy handed in the manga (even when it’s useful). Here’s hoping they’ll find a happy medium moving forward. I’m reading the manga and I’m only a few chapters away from the anime and I like the pace at which I’m doing so.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
[quote]has a checkered history when it comes to representing non-Japanese POC,
Quote:

Most non Japanese portrayed in anime is done with caricature and stereotyping (down to some silliness like all Americans being blond and all Russians silver haired), with some amusing subversions in a few shows like Chihayafuru. The stereotypes are of course worse in the case of people of African descent, though some part (but not all) of that is viewing it through our own shameful history. Note that anime can come in for criticism (at least overseas) for not emphasizing ethnic features and caricaturing enough, as in the case of depicting tennis player Naomi Osaka as a generic anime character without distinctly portraying her half Haitian heritage (and thus implying that she's full Japanese, because that's what uncaricatured anime characters are assumed to be.)

Indeed, the umbrella term "POC" is incredibly useless in the Japanese context. Since the boundaries for what is considered a race are socially determined, in Japan, where ethnic Japanese are an enormous majority (but no real government statistics exist on ethnicity and ancestry as opposed to citizenship, much like France), there's a large racial difference between them and people of Korean and Chinese descent that wouldn't be as clear in an American context (much less the even more useless in Japan category of "Asian" used in the US for such a diverse set of peoples.) Japanese in Japan and depicted in anime are the dominant overwhelming majority, so the term POC shows as being much inferior to the older term "minority" in this instance.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Rise Of The Research Hero wrote:
Just couldn't leave the show alone. We had to make up pretend racism just because a character is black. They did this same nonsense with Good Luck Girl, which was a shame. We'd have likely gotten more of that show if virtue signalers hadn't tried to make it about their feelings.

No one accused the show of anything. What’s wrong about wishing and wanting a modern series to be more open with the way it portrays characters of other racial origin? Sister Krone’s appearance is literally a textbook example of the Mammy caricature that was prominent in early 1900s American culture.

And also, the episode was still highly regarded and got an A-. So it’s quite ironic how you’re accusing James and others of being sensitive while throwing your own fit.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not sure yet about the anime leaving certain little details out (one of which I firmly believe will come back later in the series given the ED sequence), I don't really mind the verbal monologuing instead of internal monologuing, mostly in Sister Krone's case. I feel like constant internal monologuing is a crutch a lot of anime fall back on with manga-to-anime adaptations when its not very visually engaging. While TPN probably has the most reason to keep it, I kind of find it weirdly admirable that the team decided not to utilize such an easy narrative tool. I also think Krone's attachment to that baby doll might have some neat, anime-original implications down the line.

I was getting some major HAL 9000 vibes with the camera moving back and forth watching the kids conversing and planning together, and it definitely puts you a bit more on edge than if it was just a stationary wide shot all the time. Even if I can't make a judgement call yet on how the adaptation is story-wise, the directional choices basically all but make up for things like the lackluster backgrounds.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I liked episode 3 more than the first two, because it felt like it was finally moving beyond just textbook horror tropes, though I agree with the review's criticisms of it, too. Krone is far from the worst black person in anime, but she does come with many of the usual stereotypes; with the incredibly low population of black people in Japan, it seems they just have no real-life experiences to work from and end up being accidentally racist (their intentional racism is mostly reserved for Koreans or Chinese). Her hammy monologue didn't seem tonally inconsistent or anything, but I couldn't help wondering how no one heard her shouting about betraying "Mom" and shipping the heroes off to the demons. And I guess I need to look up how Ray knows so much about batteries, since I haven't read the manga...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10