• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Promised Neverland

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'm getting increasingly worried that the resolution will be something like "the orphanage is a simulation and we just wanted to test people to find good kid for <insert>" or something like that cause it's the only explanation that would justify how lax security is, but that would be incredibly unsatisfying.

Companies often cut a lot of corners when it comes to spending money on preventing things that they think aren't likely to happen. I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers that time thieves made off with $14 million of maple syrup from a Canadian warehouse, and how the company didn't notice that 3000 TONS of syrup were gone until months later because the company only sent someone to check on the barrels once a year. In that case, somebody had presumably decided that it was cheaper to track down potential syrup thieves after they had stolen the syrup than continually pay for the surveillance necessary to prevent an Oceans 11-style syrup heist.

I bring this up only because - to me - the kid's tracking devices don't seem like the sort of security measure you implement when you think a prisoner is going to get up and walk away from their prison. It feels much more like "loss-prevention".
your fly is down

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or should the reviewer not be dropping end of episode spoilers in their review? I mean I saw it and then read it but like a reviewer shouldn't just summarise the whole plot of an episode if they don't have to.
S0crates

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Is there a point to the orphanage being in a specific era? Why would children even understand that an electronic camera is more advanced than mechanical device? Why would the children even understand what a camera is? Mom could just lie and say there scarecrow or w/e (hell they could just put the camera in scarecrow) it's not like the concept of camera is some sort of innate idea that all the children would naturally have. It's just really contrive, I can borderline understand not having camera all over the farm (assuming this is an operation that's supposed to turn a profit and so having camera all around the premise would be expensive), but not having camera on the main gate and the perimeter makes very little sense, if only just to prevent thief.

Maybe it's an ecological farm?

Maybe whatever they want them for has those sort of environments making that progress the most likely?

Maybe the demons has some sort of animal cruelty laws that requires a certain quality of life?

You can't lie because they want them to grow their intellect for some reason, and they would thus figure out how a camera works on their own, or more specifically that it doesn't fit with their overall understanding of the world's current technology/what they read in books, etc. It would raise suspicion and children flock to such gadgets and would smash it up for sure. The way the mains talk about the technology they don't understand (like the tracking chip) is that of observation. They don't know what it look like or if all they need to do is cut it out (which we can assume is more than enough, as we understand the current technology, but they don't).

It's also the case as what the fellow above said. Maybe they view the possibility to be so low that it doesn't matter, OR that once they get "out in the wild" they expect to be able to fetch them back. It's kind of like if your sheep escape, not like they're going to hurt anyone, at worst they'd perhaps get hit by a car if they cross a high speed road in a hurry.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:11 am Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:

Maybe it's an ecological farm?

Maybe whatever they want them for has those sort of environments making that progress the most likely?

Maybe the demons has some sort of animal cruelty laws that requires a certain quality of life?

You can't lie because they want them to grow their intellect for some reason, and they would thus figure out how a camera works on their own, or more specifically that it doesn't fit with their overall understanding of the world's current technology/what they read in books, etc. It would raise suspicion and children flock to such gadgets and would smash it up for sure. The way the mains talk about the technology they don't understand (like the tracking chip) is that of observation. They don't know what it look like or if all they need to do is cut it out (which we can assume is more than enough, as we understand the current technology, but they don't).

It's also the case as what the fellow above said. Maybe they view the possibility to be so low that it doesn't matter, OR that once they get "out in the wild" they expect to be able to fetch them back. It's kind of like if your sheep escape, not like they're going to hurt anyone, at worst they'd perhaps get hit by a car if they cross a high speed road in a hurry.

How does having camera make the farm not ecological? They use a truck to carry the kid, either way, that pollute far more than camera (and if the truck is somehow clean then they'd have a way to make camera's electricity clean). And again, you don't have to make the camera shaped like camera, you can keep the environment the same and just have a bunch of object that you don't tell the kid what they are for ("Hey kid there's a bunch of dangerous ghost roaming around, but no worry we've installed those ghost repellent"). It's not like that would stunt there intellect, knowing something isn't the same as intelligence, and even if it were, a small omission of not knowing what a camera is wouldn't make a lick of difference, they're already lying to them about so much anyway. You can also easily strip mention of camera from book they read, that wouldn't be hard at all (just only give them book from pre camera would work just as well).

As far as the maple syrup case, they were all caught, it was an inside job, there were no one working there (unlike the farm with mom) and maple syrup barrel don't walk and think by themselves. And the owner were ridiculed for how negligent they were, if we apply this to the story it changed it from "kid need to play complex game of spy to outsmart there captive" to "kid just have to walk away, it's really not hard, why are they taking so long to do that anyway?" which is far less satisfying. Ultimately the only thing holding them back is that they want to escape with everyone, the older would have easily escaped otherwise. Every subsequent generation would have been able to do that, that must be a giant pain in the ass for the owner. I do however like the idea that the show is actually a training video for new franchise farm owner (or maybe insurance agent) to teach them how bad lax security is.

And again, you'd want security just to make sure mom is doing a good job (like I said earlier, security is mostly there to watch employe, as illustrated by the maple syrup theft). Doubly so if the farm as some sort of environmental standard ("free range children Brough about in intellectual condition"), there would need to be inspection and such but since no one ever visit the premise they would have camera to be able to monitor the situation, otherwise how do they know mom isn't keeping them locked in a dungeon, force feeding them and faking the test results?
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
your fly is down wrote:
Is it just me or should the reviewer not be dropping end of episode spoilers in their review? I mean I saw it and then read it but like a reviewer shouldn't just summarise the whole plot of an episode if they don't have to.

For television reviews that cover individual episodes on a weekly basis, it is generally assumed that the reader has already seen the episode, so anything that happens in it is fair game. It would be very difficult to meaningfully discuss and analyze a story if you weren't allowed to talk about its most important developments.
hack5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
your fly is down wrote:

I do not mind it if I actually read it lol the funny thing is I consider the forums post my reviewer not the author of the article itself I rather read the opinion of the viewer than the reviewer if that makes sense,I especially love it how members use the spoiler tag even though everyone should have already watch the episode.What I hate is when reviewers put spoilers in the article name (just like they do it on you tube) you know some times you are strolling around on ANN and bam..... you see an article name eg NICE TO SEE A SHOW CAN KILL OFF A MAIN CHARACTER and your like holy shit someone died lol.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
I haven't had any problem suspending my disbelief of how the orphanage (and the implied network of facilities like it) operate. The show has shown us so little about how the world works that, at this point, I can assume that there is more going on behind the scenes to justify all the questions that I might have about everything works. But since we are experiencing this world from the perspective of the kids, who don't know any of this stuff, we're in the dark, too.

And that's fine, honestly. As a suspenseful horror-esque story, the lack of knowledge is one of the greatest assets the writers of the show have. Horror, suspense, and a creepy tone are all things that are enhanced by the unknown, and not helped at all by an extended infodump about how the demons handle loss prevention or the economics of free range demon FDA brain inspections or something.

Now as we learn more about the world as the kids move from plotting to actually escaping, cracks in the world-building may well appear that are harder to paper over. I have no idea, I'm one of those folks who are experiencing this all for the first time with the anime. It's a common place for horror stories to stumble, but it is possible to stick the landing and I, at least, think they've been doing a great job so far.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
^Well, it wasn't "pretty obvious" to me, the reveal that Ray might be the traitor really took my by surprise. Though if he truly was a traitor he'd have given Mama real information and not the fake one, so i'm guessing that he's got his reasons to help her but is still trying to protect the others...Norman may be cunning but it's obvious that he really cares about Ray, when Emma said that she wouldn't leave the traitor behind, you could see the relief on his face.

Also, ot telling the truth to Gilda and Don might have been the best way to get them to cooperate but will probably come back to bite them in the ass sooner or later...
I did suspect Gilda at first but I caught on that they were setting her up as a red herring. But I still enjoyed how the reveal was handled because I loved the scene of Emma being so glad and crying that Gilda wasn't the traitor and them getting closer. I also enjoyed the scene of Gilda talking back to Sister Krone. I guess you could say I found the emotional beats of the twist more engaging than the twist itself.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:09 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty, I would prefer it if the reviewer for this anime is someone who hasn't read the source material. Its a bit irritating to keep reading constant comparisons between the anime and manga. I would be more interested in reading the reviewer's first impressions on key events/moments in the series and hearing their speculations/theories on what exactly is going on in the series. This is one of the very reasons why I enjoyed reading the Danganronpa 3 anime reviews because it really feels like I'm watching someone trying to put the pieces together like in an actual mystery.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:34 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy Becket's comparisons though, especially when it comes to specific moments and how the anime direction is trying to enhance a feeling/mood. This comes from someone who didn't read the manga though, so maybe it's just a matter of "the perspective I don't have is the most interesting one to read about". Or maybe I just don't really like speculation all that much - especially how it almost invites people to just go "nope that's not it" in the comments.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Man, Ray got all the funny faces this episode.

Okay, not all of them. Norman had a pretty good one near the end.

Ask for the discussion at hand... All I can say is wait and see. Your questions will be addressed for the most part.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he has to lie to Emma and ditch the other children when the time comes

I really hope Ray is actually planning to escape by himself and just said that to get Norman off his back or something, because that's just too ridiculous to believe. How would that even work? Emma would obviously just go back for the other kids, it should be obvious to Ray and Norman.

And even if Ray was 100% serious, he has no leverage on Norman to force him to uphold that bargain. If Norman just goes "well actually we're saving everyone" in the middle of the escape, what's Ray going to do? Purposefully sabotage the escape? What would that accomplish? Again, that should be obviously to both Ray and Norman.

Maybe if he asked for them to escape while dragging the unwilling (possibly unconscious) Emma it would be believable.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
What odd thoughts when the true nature of the world around the orphanage has yet to be revealed. Think if the out side world is different and populated by and your answers
About security questions may be moot to the actual storie being told. I will not make such judgements till more is revealed by the author! I did get hooked on this anime! The open questions of the world outside the orphanage. The tense game of the cattle knowing they are cattle and the whole plotting and planing without truly understanding what’s in the world and it’s nature or surroundings! This anime should have released on holloween! The story fits it to a tee!
Moonlightlily13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I believe Ray-Ray is the best and should be loved no matter what, N.01 more important than Emma or Norman bcz he is the first person to realize the truth/"everything" and no matter what he didn't break character or spread the truth to ensure the children from panicking to avoid more deaths like Conny, as a multi-talented person and someone who treasures he's friends but at the same time realistic and understanding to his own position regarding his worth to Mama and the demons and what influence he can cause if he takes action.

P.S. Ray-Ray is Bae, <3 love u angel Ray
Official Ray Fan N.01 4Ever

Last edited by Moonlightlily13 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, ep 5 had a lot of ambiguity and uncertainty. I'm really digging it!

Emma's reactions had to have been my favorite part of the episode. It started off funny, but it very quickly became more interesting, and did more to upgrade my opinion of her as a schemer than anything that's happened in the series so far. Her empathy for how "lonely" Ray must have been knowing the truth for so long was touching and definitely fits what we know about her soft side, but her intensity as she told him never to do something like sacrificing a kid for the sake of their escape is a clear warning that she's not a pushover. She really wants to save everyone, including Ray, but I think that assuming that she will be easier to trick than Norman or Mother is a pretty risky proposition.

The scene with Norman and Ray after their conversation, with the gradually inverting expressions, was also pretty awesome. I've been trying to think of what calculations must have been going through their heads as the scene progresses, and best guess I have is that their original 'deal' about abandoning the kids and lying about it to Emma assumed that she was not an active, formidable player in this little game of intrigue herself. As both of them realized that, it gave Norman hope and Ray realized that his plan will be harder to pull off than he thought. But that's just a guess!

Anyway, in some ways this was my favorite ep so far despite so little actually happening. When it ended, I seriously thought it was only halfway through, which is a serious credit for an episode which mostly boiled down to three discussions and a cliffhanger. Emma is even more my favorite, but I'm really enjoying Machiavellian Ray and I can't wait for next week!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10