• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Promised Neverland

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
meiam wrote:
So presumably Isabella called her as reinforcement... but it turn out she wasn't needed anyway and didn't do anything necessary. And why would Isabella call someone she considered unreliable?

Isabella explicitly states she called Krone in to act as backup and an extra pair of hands, I thiiiiink in episode 3? This was around the time that she knew some of the children had figured out the secret, but she had no idea of who it actually was (though she clearly had her suspicions).

Krone was basically just backup, and it's likely Isabella had no idea that Krone would be so unreliable until she was actually called in and had to adjust her plans accordingly.

But Ray was working for her since before the show even started and they told Ray almost right away, don't remember the sequence of event but didn't they tell Ray the day after? So presumably Isabella knew about it before Krone was even there. Even if Krone had been a perfectly loyal follower, how would she have helped? Say the three kid had just decided to climb the wall, what would Krone have done that the security outside wouldn't have been able to do (vaguely recall some mention of security at some point)? It just seem like if they have the budget to hire an extra hand they really should be able to just put a few security camera/microphone for way cheaper and be far more effective...
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Though I'm probably the last to realize it, during Isabella's speech about how she wanted to raise the best possible kids and keep them happy until the end, it occurred to me that this isn't just a horror story, but is a metaphor for raising kids to be salaryman cogs to be fed to the machine of soul-killing adulthood.

I think Isabella was being absolutely sincere in what she was saying. Parents lovingly raise their kids and then send them out into a world that, unless they're one of the few lucky ones, will eat them alive, and they take pride in rearing the best kids to be productive adults (i.e., nutrition for those that will feed on their talents). They try to protect their innocence for as long as possible.

I could analyze this for days, because every single aspect of this story, including Krone's arc, fits with this reading of it. But I'll refrain, or I could derail this thread in a heartbeat. Wink

I think you should absolutely talk about it! Neverland's got solid thriller and horror elements, but the thematic undertones comparing Gracefield with modern issues of class and the like is easily its most consistent strength to me. The manga actually hammers on this even more during Krone's flashback, and it's at the core of a lot of the characters' conflicts.

meiam wrote:

But Ray was working for her since before the show even started and they told Ray almost right away, don't remember the sequence of event but didn't they tell Ray the day after? So presumably Isabella knew about it before Krone was even there.

Keep in mind, Ray was also the one who revealed the secret to Norman and Emma, with the goal of having them escape, so he wouldn't have necessarily told her right away who had gone to the gate - indeed it would have been suspect if he volunteered the information.

Quote:
Even if Krone had been a perfectly loyal follower, how would she have helped?

By keeping track of the children when Isabella or Ray can't, acting as extra muscle in the case of an escape attempt and - most importantly to Isabella - acting as an additional obstacle/distraction to keep the kids occupied while she kept track of all the pieces on the board.

Basically, Krone was used as a pawn from the word go, including the possibility that she might try to betray Isabella and Grandma. Having her there to complicate the kids' escape was worth it because they were confident they could control or manipulate her, because Krone believed Grandma was an unbiased authority she could sell Isabella out to.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was absolutely spine-tingling. I straight up gasped when Isabella broke Emma's leg; it was ruthless, without a second's hesitation, which only served to underline her beliefs. To Isabella, she may truly "love" these children she is raising to be slaughtered and believes the only way they can live a "full, happy life" is in the dreamworld of Grace Field House. So she will do anything within her power to preserve that.

As an anime-first fan, I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what the kids can possibly do to combat this latest horror. Effectively crippling their physically-strongest fighter is a serious blow and makes the already-slim possibility of escape even smaller.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
Ep 8:

Well that was the most depressing slow train wreck I have seen in a long time. What an amazing show.

5* / A+
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
^ For real.

That episode ending broke my heart.

And now I got to wait until next week. I *could* read the manga, but the animation style, I love.

Actually, I have to say that I love all the animation scenes where the characters are walking around the house. I don't know why, but it flows so well.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 pm Reply with quote
So Norman quits after climbing the wall. What did he see? The impossibility of escape! Norman will get shipped! The count is Conny, Krone, Norman and building! Rays day is also coming! He is no longer a double agent fired by the house mom! I mean wanting to live must have twisted the care takers past insane and into denies reality and revals in cattle
Raising! Taught to fight, manipulate, control and obey without question from age 12! Now the top three are down one member. With a fast approaching deadline for Rays shipment!
Sheriru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Norman has been broken by what he found.

A tiny part of me died when i saw his face to that. It was perfect .
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Sheriru wrote:
Quote:
Norman has been broken by what he found.

A tiny part of me died when i saw his face to that. It was perfect .

Same here! Oh, my heart just hurts. I love these kids and want them to survive together. I can't possibly see a way they can escape now but that's what makes TPN such an enthralling story. I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what comes next!
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:52 am Reply with quote
I was not ready for what was to come, with Emma crying the way she was. Suddenly, I was bawling too and it was so overwhelming. I loved every minute of this episode, my heart is still hurting because of the end. I'm glad I didn't read the manga, because moments like these are that much more powerful. I definitely want to read through on ahead but I'm going to stop myself until this is over.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Though I'm probably the last to realize it, during Isabella's speech about how she wanted to raise the best possible kids and keep them happy until the end, it occurred to me that this isn't just a horror story, but is a metaphor for raising kids to be salaryman cogs to be fed to the machine of soul-killing adulthood.

I think Isabella was being absolutely sincere in what she was saying. Parents lovingly raise their kids and then send them out into a world that, unless they're one of the few lucky ones, will eat them alive, and they take pride in rearing the best kids to be productive adults (i.e., nutrition for those that will feed on their talents). They try to protect their innocence for as long as possible.

I could analyze this for days, because every single aspect of this story, including Krone's arc, fits with this reading of it. But I'll refrain, or I could derail this thread in a heartbeat. Wink

I think comparing sending 12 year olds to slaughter to the workforce (or middle school, which I know has a lot of pressure in Japan, but I hope it's not *that* bad!) is a bit of a stretch, although I see where you're coming from. I completely agree that Isabella is being absolutely sincere when she says she wants all the children she raises to be happy for as long as possible, and not just to secure her reputation as producing the most high quality meat, but because she does care about the kids. From her POV, the only thing she can do in her power to improve these children's lives (and continue living herself) is to keep them as happy as possible in the limited time they get. She's the type to work within the system to do what she sees as good. A less involved "Mother" might detach from the kids to preserve herself emotionally, but she's determined to raise her children as hands-on as possible.
She's brilliant, and terrifying, yes, but she probably believes that any uprising or rebellion against the system is doomed to fail, and she cares enough about the kids to give them the best possible lives within an awful (but in her view, inevitable) circumstance.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:49 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I do wonder though, if properly, happily raised children might have more chances to survive if they ever do escape. A broken child might be more attuned to danger, but give in to unhealthy relationships as well and succumb to the exhaustion that trauma can give. More depression, anger issues and all, less loyalty to real friends. That will probably affect the next generation.
Who knows Isabella might (someday) hope that one of her children does succeed in making the escape.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:07 am Reply with quote
There was a line in episode 10 that I have a feeling is going to turn out to be more significant than the way it was glossed over would indicate. Isabella mentions the steps of becoming a Mama, including having her own child. I don't remember seeing an indication of that in Krone's backstory, but Isabella made it sound like a precondition to being chosen. So what happened to Isabella's child? I'd assume it was eaten, but that seems like a story awaiting the telling.

Rule of Anime 476 is Show Me the Body, so I remain not entirely devastated by Norman's departure, but it's still looking pretty grim.

(note: if you've read the source material, none of the above is your cue to drop "hints" or tell me I'm on the right or wrong track, thanks)
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:27 am Reply with quote
Was it my fancy, or did Isabella imply to become a Mama, you had to have a child? I might have misheard, but it would be a particularly cruel cherry on top of the whole situation. Triggering a maternal instinct in them to keep them in line, whilst taking away their child. It did seem to be be case with Krone, some of her behaviour looked she hadn't gotten over such an event.

The last scene was pure joy. It's not usually the audience gets to be on the same side of such an evil grin.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:22 am Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Was it my fancy, or did Isabella imply to become a Mama, you had to have a child? I might have misheard, but it would be a particularly cruel cherry on top of the whole situation. Triggering a maternal instinct in them to keep them in line, whilst taking away their child. It did seem to be be case with Krone, some of her behaviour looked she hadn't gotten over such an event.
Yeah, she most definitely said that, plus in the original Japanese it's not clear whether it's meant to be "have a child" or "have children". This was the one revelation that genuinely surprised me in that last episode (more on that below), as before that I was just assuming we were dealing with some Matrix-style mass produced baby plantation scenario. Even the fact that the newest baby looked almost exactly like Emma seemed to confirm that the kids are all clones produced from variegated, but limited genetic material. But then, the resemblance would also make sense if the mothers were expected to produce multiple children throughout their career..

Anyway, it seems like all the cliffhanger fakeouts (damnit, Phil!) in the middle part of the cour have completely desensitized me to the show's twists. A few people mentioned having trouble feeling for Krone during her final scene, and that also applies to me, but not because the scene itself failed at sympathetically portraying her perspective. The problem for me is that I simply can't take any buildup in the show seriously any more, so until the very last moment of the scene I sincerely believed that all the obvious foreshadowing of Krone's death would lead to an anticlimactic last minute turnaround. On the other hand, the buildup to the literal cliffhanger from last week's episode made the moment seem so grand, but the actual reveal felt so prosaic I burst out laughing. And now I find myself watching the rest of the cour on autopilot, genuinely not caring whether or not Norman is actually dead. Oh well, at least the OP song is still good..
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
Not having read a stitch of the manga, only going by what I've seen in this anime so far, my reaction to how this story ends will be if, somehow, Emma, Ray and all the other children come out on top, I will celebrate like I had when the NY Giants against all the odds, beat the unbeatable New England Patriots in the 2008 Super Bowl by running out of my house and scream at the top of my lungs such joy as to tear up, spittle flinging left and right, for all the world to hear. That's how powerful this series is to me and how breathless this episode made me. It's JUST THAT POWERFUL!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10