• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Rising of The Shield Hero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S0crates

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
As someone who's played quite a few MMO/RPGs in my lifetime it does baffle me how the others don't seem to comprehend just how important the role of a "tank" is. Sure DPS have the "coolest" role but without the "tank" they would never survive.

In my day we used to have a shadow priest tank Ragnaros... xD
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:
The way he threatens merchants is a good example of this, since even assuming he doesn't care that his reputation continues to sink, earlier we see him defeating those balloons just by punching them and we know his strength stat is in the gutter... Do merchants not have a basic knife around to protect their establishment against such situations? Couldn't they just stab a fork into one of them to pop them when they're presented as weak level 1 monsters? :?

It takes Naofumi a year and a day to punch balloons to death, and they're decently mobile too. The reason he makes decking them to death look easy is because his defense is high enough to ignore their attacks. Merchants have no such luck. Also he keeps a bunch of balloons on him at all times, instead of just one.

As for the show, the production values are great, the music is great, the voice acting is great, the status overlays are great in a way that's viscerally satisfying as a nerd to see. The show hamstrung itself with bringing up the matrimony thing early and out of context because WHEW that's a bad implication, and IIRC from the WN when Naofumi read the book and judged Myne the book actually had words and descriptions to go off that weren't displayed in the anime for stylistic purposes, as opposed to Naofumi literally calling some lady a slut based on a fairly chaste picture.

Anyways I agree Shield Hero has eye-raising elements that are worth noting, but they're not a deal-breaker for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
oooook, well I'm going to skip all the political stuff, I definitely got a bit angry at Nick Creamer's initial post (along with everyone else) but I think Theon's initial review is fair, although there is a lot of stuff that will appear later on the series (which probably won't even show up in the anime adaptation) which will answer a lot of your criticisms. For example the country is actually ruled by a Queen but she is in another country on diplomatic business and we don't see her for several arcs. spoiler[Surprisingly she's actually one of the good guys and shield hero's biggest supporter so don't think this series is all about hating on women in authority.]

Quote:
The other thing that bugs me some about this whole scenario is how willing everyone is to undersell Naofumi's potential. They seem to be entirely ignoring that a shield appearing as a set with the other legendary weapons means that they're supposed to be used in concert

I should note that the 3 other heroes are basically parodies of the common popular Shonen protagonists. The sword hero is the edgy loner (aka kirito at the beginning of SAO), the bow hero is the "lets all get along and work together to save the world" and the spear hero is the white knight who tries to save ladies and then get laid with them. There are a lot of characters in this series with very extreme personalities, don't expect them to make reasonable or well balanced decisions. Shield hero himself basically represents all the kids who get ostracized from social circles and just decides to give everyone the finger and do things his own way.

As for the false-rape controversy, I don't think it was a controversy in the first place. The only people I've seen complaining about it are critics and reviewers while on r/anime and most discussion boards all you see is people yelling "protecc racoon girl!" and and posting cute memes while the false rape thing isn't even talked about anymore.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Sigh..

Quote:
Using a false rape accusation as a defining story element is incredibly ill-timed given what's been going on in the real world lately
-Really A Japanese author,writing 6 plus years before the what occurred in the US... ill-timed-

A matriarchal country,a state religion spoiler[which proclaims the Shield hero to be ill-omened(to put it mildly)]. What better way for the main antagonist to turn a Savior of the World into a pariah overnight,other than accuse him of raping the first princess of the land.

Shield Hero is a tiny mole hill of a power fantasy,not a mountain.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Ill say that this is at least a fair review of the series so far, much better than some of the preview reviews. The only criticism I cant agree on is this.

Quote:
Using a false rape accusation as a defining story element is incredibly ill-timed given what's been going on in the real world lately, which has created a lot of controversy for the series.

like, how is this the fault of the series? The Light Novels started coming out in 2013, and the Web Novels came out many years before that. Obviously this is way before any of this #MeToo movement stuff. Plus, its a series from Japan, written by and for a Japanese audience, so using a western standard to critique this plot point just seems really odd.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Check out r/animememes at some point, there are so many posts about Raphtalia the mods renamed the subscribers to "Raccoon Protecctors". It's pretty funny.

Oh, and minor trivia, Naofumi and Raphtalia have the same voice actors as Sakuta and Mai from Bunny Girl Senpai. I wonder if that was intentional.

Last edited by #844391 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For example the country is actually ruled by a Queen but she is in another country on diplomatic business and we don't see her for several arcs.

No that is wrong. You meet the queen at the very end of the first arc of the series. Basically, Volume 4 of the Light novel, so this will probably be around mid season in the anime adaptation.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I found the pacing in the second episode odd, particularly regarding Raphtalia's changes. She went from "oh, no, blood is traumatic" to "whatevs" basically instantly. I'm hoping (and was told by commenters) that this isn't the kind of show were people just "get over" their problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Quote:
For example the country is actually ruled by a Queen but she is in another country on diplomatic business and we don't see her for several arcs.

No that is wrong. You meet the queen at the very end of the first arc of the series. Basically, Volume 4 of the Light novel, so this will probably be around mid season in the anime adaptation.

I did read it a long time ago so it felt like there was a lot more between the start of the series and when the queen showed up. I also read the web novel not the light novel, I'm guessing some of their minor side adventures got cut out to streamline the story more.
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
A gentle reminder the Shield Hero anime was made with the Western audience in mind; over the usual Japanese target.

Some backstory - the original Shield Hero webnovel is a cult classic amongst Western webnovel readers, because it was one of the 1st to be fully fantranslated to English. (Also one of the 1st to use the cliche of struggling underdog actively spat upon by the world around them.)

Crunchyroll’s producer saw the viewer potential based on this internet popularity and pitched Shield to their Japanese counterparts at Kadokawa, who were seeking a light novel anime to sell to international anime watchers. (This is also a Kadokawa x Crunchyroll co-production.)
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/12/04-1/shirobako-is-what-i-do-chatting-with-junichiro-tamura-at-crunchyroll-expo

Quote:
So about 3 or 4 years ago, KADOKAWA was looking for a title to make it big overseas, and during that time Crunchyroll and KADOKAWA were talking about some candidate titles. Crunchyroll producer, Sae Ho Song, pitched The Rising of the Shield Hero series to me, and he thought it was a great idea and we went forward with it!

I'd expect both sides to be aware of any controversy associated with this series (especially Crunchyroll; they suggested it in the 1st place) although there is a chance they could've underestimated Western social reaction trends.

I asked around on other forums if the franchise was very popular in Japan - they answered that it isn't that big; the physical sales of Shield Hero's LNs can't compare to the sales generated by titles like Overlord or Reincarnated into a Slime.
Hotaru Tomoe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I hope the Anime gets far into the story. Because without spoiling TOO much, spoiler[ there is a reason this country has a seemingly ridiculous negative opinion of the Shield hero that has nothing to do with his role and everything to do with what happened the last time the Four Heroes were summoned.]
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I’m just gonna put it right out there and say without any spoilers that it doesn’t exactly stay ‘agreeable’.

Most of the series will be boring and harmless, emphasis on boring. But it does go to some bad places later on, so be warned.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:49 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
like, how is this the fault of the series? The Light Novels started coming out in 2013, and the Web Novels came out many years before that. Obviously this is way before any of this #MeToo movement stuff.

I am aware of this, but remember that I'm talking about the anime here, not any earlier version.
Quote:
Plus, its a series from Japan, written by and for a Japanese audience, so using a western standard to critique this plot point just seems really odd.

Why? People do this all the time and it's definitely not just Westerners who do it. In fact, not doing it at all would probably be stranger. Besides, a lot of the time I hear that argument used, it's done to attempt to excuse some pretty scummy stuff.

Now, I'm not saying that it's never appropriate - in fact, cultural context is often critically important in comedies, or in theatrical formats that are uniquely Japanese - but a fantasy series heavily based on Western-influenced RPGs and using a setting much more Western than Far Eastern is not the strongest place to make such an argument.

S0crates wrote:
Someone clearly never played during the McCree era of Overwatch (would kill any tank even through healing), or the World of Roguecraft (World of Warcraft when rogues were OP and could kill anyone with gray gear). Anime smile

Then you had Dragon Age Origins where you're better of abusing healing and mana potions and going full DPS team (Storm of The century would kill your tank and dps regardless).

Then you have all them Final Fantasies where the tanks are basically useless without some mage boosting them.

And who the heck plays a tank in Mass Effect?

Oh man, the best RPGs have no tanks. Tanks only became a thing with WoW I believe and then everyone started copying it. It's boring gameplay in my opinion and even in WoW it's much more fun with double Frost Mage in the arenas anyways.

Thanks for the insight here, but I think you may be operating under a false assumption: that I'm talking only about computer or game system RPGs when I mention tanks. My background is actually much more in tabletop RPGs, and in those tanks are considered practically essential. Going into a combat-focused adventurer without 1-2 tanks (or characters who can at least effectively double as tanks) in a table of 5-7 is often practically suicide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doomrider7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I’m just gonna put it right out there and say without any spoilers that it doesn’t exactly stay ‘agreeable’.

Most of the series will be boring and harmless, emphasis on boring. But it does go to some bad places later on, so be warned.

Oh God does it ever. spoiler[Even the stuff with the Queen is really [expletive] creepy in how she ships and kind of pushes her preteen daughter to marry Shield Hero.]
doomrider7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:06 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:
like, how is this the fault of the series? The Light Novels started coming out in 2013, and the Web Novels came out many years before that. Obviously this is way before any of this #MeToo movement stuff.

I am aware of this, but remember that I'm talking about the anime here, not any earlier version.
Quote:
Plus, its a series from Japan, written by and for a Japanese audience, so using a western standard to critique this plot point just seems really odd.

Why? People do this all the time and it's definitely not just Westerners who do it. In fact, not doing it at all would probably be stranger. Besides, a lot of the time I hear that argument used, it's done to attempt to excuse some pretty scummy stuff.

Now, I'm not saying that it's never appropriate - in fact, cultural context is often critically important in comedies, or in theatrical formats that are uniquely Japanese - but a fantasy series heavily based on Western-influenced RPGs and using a setting much more Western than Far Eastern is not the strongest place to make such an argument.

S0crates wrote:
Someone clearly never played during the McCree era of Overwatch (would kill any tank even through healing), or the World of Roguecraft (World of Warcraft when rogues were OP and could kill anyone with gray gear). Anime smile

Then you had Dragon Age Origins where you're better of abusing healing and mana potions and going full DPS team (Storm of The century would kill your tank and dps regardless).

Then you have all them Final Fantasies where the tanks are basically useless without some mage boosting them.

And who the heck plays a tank in Mass Effect?

Oh man, the best RPGs have no tanks. Tanks only became a thing with WoW I believe and then everyone started copying it. It's boring gameplay in my opinion and even in WoW it's much more fun with double Frost Mage in the arenas anyways.

Thanks for the insight here, but I think you may be operating under a false assumption: that I'm talking only about computer or game system RPGs when I mention tanks. My background is actually much more in tabletop RPGs, and in those tanks are considered practically essential. Going into a combat-focused adventurer without 1-2 tanks (or characters who can at least effectively double as tanks) in a table of 5-7 is often practically suicide.

I find disdain for Tank builds odd given that one of the most Iconic builds in recent gaming history, the notorious "Giant Dad" build from Dark Souls 1 is one of the most beloved/hated and meme'd because it's so effective. Ditto for two characters from that game, "Havel the Rock" and "Black Iron Tarkus" being huge who are universally meme'd and beloved are tanky MOFO's who hit HARD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 36