• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Rising of The Shield Hero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimvice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Given the weapon's versatility, it seems ludicrous that anyone should be prejudiced against its wielder unless there was a broader plot behind it. Guess we'll learn more as the series progresses.

Bruh they already implied that there's prejudice against shield hero because he's rumored to be friendly with demi-humans, which most humans are prejudice against.

There's probably more detail to it than that later on, but geez try to pay a little more attention
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I rally love how when they cry explains the motivations of it's villains, is completely amazing, I hope the anime/light novel of shield hero does that for SPOILER as the motivation was very weak, silly and ridiculous.

Gohanangered wrote:
Someone mentioned about the anime being based off the light novel and not the web novel. I thought the light novel was to re tell the story of the web novel some what. What i mean fill in details of what the web novel story left out. More or less to explain stuff in general. Also i hope the web novel ending will be the ending that the light novel still keeps. The web novel ending is what makes the whole journey worth the story that you read thru. But that's just me and how i feel about that. Smile

Well, the first webnovel ending is more or less a bad end, the second feels too much like a good end and I hope the light novel/anime give us a true end.

I also hope this episode's lack of quality are an indication of the b team being on and the quality improves for the next episode.
Gho5tRUN3R

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
#893193 wrote:
Key wrote:
Ronie Peter wrote:
I will say it again, with all respect: some columnists of this site are incompetent and should not write. This politically correct in the evaluation of the series is really a terrible mistake. Martin, please stop writing, you're an inability!

Wow, it took all of three posts for this to emerge. Can't say I'm surprised.

So I'm being "politically correct" just because I'm basically saying, "some people could be bothered by this?" Sorry, but that's being hyper-sensitive the other way. Past discussion threads concerning this series have proven that some people will be bothered by some of this content, so what's unfair or inherently political about including a warning? If there's anything else in there you think is political then point it out for me, as I was specifically trying to make the review apolitical.

Perhaps you should read the review again for other reasons, too. My actual criticisms are about the series being over-the-top in beating Naofumi down and not applying full fantasy RPG logic to a setting clearly heavily-grounded in fantasy RPG mechanics. Those are criticisms that I think would be hard to refute and in no way, shape, or form are they the slightest bit political.

I'll be honest, I've not read the entire thread so I apologise if this has already been covered but I am curious as to why you would take issue with the bad guys being bad or why you would asume that the prejudice they show towards him is just a forced premise?

I dont want to give away too much and spoil the show for others, but I don't think theres too much of a problem in telling you that the prejudice they show towards him is actually a pivotal part of the storyline and in no way an excuse to create an excuse for the MC's behaviour.

I think you are getting confused about the bad people doing bad things. At this point in the story, we have gotten very little information about Myne other than she's a princess and likes the phallic symbols Hero. There has been no reason for her to treat the shield hero the way she has for as long as she has. Again, up to this point as not all of us have read the material before watching. As of right now, it looks like she's being evil for the sake of being evil. That's not really a deep motivation to do something, it just is a caricature and really belittles the accused rape to an "insert generic bad thing #23" instead of making a conversation about something that does happen in the real world.

The reason why the reviewer's post seems so incomplete is because he is also operating off what the show has provided us so far. Which is fair as a medium needs to be able to survive on its own without having to fall back on a treasure map of source materials that people have to track down in order to understand everything.

As of right now, the show feels like it has a focus problem where it gets sidetracked toward filler pieces that ultimately provide little information about the world or its machinations. I get that side quests are in RPG games, but this is still a story and it feels really aimless when an episode doesn't at least attempt to provide some new information to its unanswered questions. For you all who have read the source material, I'm sure you're sitting back and enjoying the ride, but for the rest of us, it's a tad maddening when Myne just pops in with some insane tax or these shadowy figures scare Myne enough to back off, but we're never told why. Just because Naofumi is in the doldrums, doesn't mean he can't ask questions and be the fish out of water character Isekais are built around. It seems like he is doing his best to not ask questions and get to know this world. Which would actually be an interesting twist to the old classic isekai if the story is doing that intentionally.
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At this point in the story, we have gotten very little information about Myne other than she's a princess and likes the phallic symbols Hero.

Very Happy spoiler[For people who've read the web novel this^ is pretty funny]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
yes, the webnovel, does THAT happen in the light novel too ?
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:
Quote:
Given the weapon's versatility, it seems ludicrous that anyone should be prejudiced against its wielder unless there was a broader plot behind it. Guess we'll learn more as the series progresses.

Bruh they already implied that there's prejudice against shield hero because he's rumored to be friendly with demi-humans, which most humans are prejudice against.

There's probably more detail to it than that later on, but geez try to pay a little more attention

Not only that there is a more but more imp reason for the hate which will be made more clear later in the next few weeks spoiler[ Cause of the church of 3 heroes ] but dont be to hard on the critic, he is still an anime only and at this point it makes sense why he questions the hate as it is not clear until as i said later but it will make sense soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
Gho5tRUN3R wrote:

I think you are getting confused about the bad people doing bad things. At this point in the story, we have gotten very little information about Myne other than she's a princess and likes the phallic symbols Hero. There has been no reason for her to treat the shield hero the way she has for as long as she has. Again, up to this point as not all of us have read the material before watching. As of right now, it looks like she's being evil for the sake of being evil. That's not really a deep motivation to do something, it just is a caricature and really belittles the accused rape to an "insert generic bad thing #23" instead of making a conversation about something that does happen in the real world.

The reason why the reviewer's post seems so incomplete is because he is also operating off what the show has provided us so far. Which is fair as a medium needs to be able to survive on its own without having to fall back on a treasure map of source materials that people have to track down in order to understand everything.

I'm not confused, I just think that people have a tendancy to pigeonhole new materials, and that maybe sometimes, things should be taken at face value rather assuming a deeper meaning.

I won't deny that having already read the story allows me to apply more context to characters actions, which is why I am not criticising the review, I was merely pointing out that a show cannot explain the motivation of every character from the very beginning so, even if a show has rpg elements, when the behaviour of a character does not match the behaviour you would expect from a rpg based show, that does not necessarily mean that it is a mistake, as it may be your assumption that is incorrect.

I was also particularly happy to see that the reviewer only touched on the moral outrage some people have shown and instead focused on the actual way the story was told, which I think is legitimate citicism as these are the kind of things most viewers will actually care about.

I never said, nor meant to imply that the review was incomplete, simpy that some of the complaints, both in the review and the comments seem to stem from applying the logic of rpg's to the story, therefore making the prejudice against a tank unreasonable, and the assumption that this is just a poor excuse to create a scenario for the MC to struggle against, which is only true if you assume that prejudice is a throw away plot device.

While this is of course entirely possible, I think that if you are reviewing the start of a series, rather than stating that the premise for the MC's persecution is weak, it would be more fair to state that there are parts of the story which you hope are expanded upon later, because as it stands the premise is weak.
Gho5tRUN3R

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
#893193 wrote:

I'm not confused, I just think that people have a tendancy to pigeonhole new materials, and that maybe sometimes, things should be taken at face value rather assuming a deeper meaning.

I won't deny that having already read the story allows me to apply more context to characters actions, which is why I am not criticising the review, I was merely pointing out that a show cannot explain the motivation of every character from the very beginning so, even if a show has rpg elements, when the behaviour of a character does not match the behaviour you would expect from a rpg based show, that does not necessarily mean that it is a mistake, as it may be your assumption that is incorrect.

I was also particularly happy to see that the reviewer only touched on the moral outrage some people have shown and instead focused on the actual way the story was told, which I think is legitimate citicism as these are the kind of things most viewers will actually care about.

I never said, nor meant to imply that the review was incomplete, simpy that some of the complaints, both in the review and the comments seem to stem from applying the logic of rpg's to the story, therefore making the prejudice against a tank unreasonable, and the assumption that this is just a poor excuse to create a scenario for the MC to struggle against, which is only true if you assume that prejudice is a throw away plot device.

While this is of course entirely possible, I think that if you are reviewing the start of a series, rather than stating that the premise for the MC's persecution is weak, it would be more fair to state that there are parts of the story which you hope are expanded upon later, because as it stands the premise is weak.

Naw see, motivation is key. Especially with the information we are given immediately in the first episode and then what is revealed in episode 4. Myne is a princess who has obviously been given everything she's ever wanted her whole life. It makes little sense for someone to continuously dick over another person when they get nothing out of it. Now what I didn't think of before was the self-fulfilling prophecy of the Shield Hero being kind to demi-humans. The show kind of just threw that in as an "oh by the way, this:" memory of Raphtalia. Considering Myne has thrown out the term in bitterness, I will admit that she could just be angry at the Shield Hero for prejudice reasons toward demi-humans. Which then still makes me wonder if they hate demi-humans so much and know the Shield Hero will be favorable to them, then why summon him at all? And further more, why be angry at the Shield Hero for having one as a slave when the whole of society has deemed demi-humans to be only as useful as slaves? These scenes have had Myne come across as a jealous girl who is afraid of losing the Spear Hero's attention to Raphtalia.

We are now 7 episodes in out of a presumably (I haven't looked it up) 12-13 episode season. It feels as though the show is sky diving and rather than pull the parachute, it decided to first rummage around in its pockets, pull out some gum, and then marvel at the fresh minty taste. The end is coming fast and it would be nice to see some of these questions addressed or at least progressed toward rather than focus on chicken girl's clothes.

There's a lot of questions to be answered, but that doesn't mean we (me and the reviewer) hate the show. Because despite his reviews sounding negative, he hasn't given a score of lower than B- to an episode. Kind speaks about the intriguing nature of the show, right?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Gho5tRUN3R wrote:
We are now 7 episodes in out of a presumably (I haven't looked it up) 12-13 episode season. It feels as though the show is sky diving and rather than pull the parachute, it decided to first rummage around in its pockets, pull out some gum, and then marvel at the fresh minty taste. The end is coming fast and it would be nice to see some of these questions addressed or at least progressed toward rather than focus on chicken girl's clothes.

Actually it isn't coming fast, as this one was confirmed from the beginning to be 24 eps. Whether or not it'll be 24 continuous eps is the only question.

The other thing that should be kept in mind here is that the inherent weakness of episode reviews (as opposed to cumulative reviews) is that they have to be very reactionary. You can't wait to see how things will develop over the course of several episodes or a whole season; you have to react to what's in front of you and how that relates to what's happened so far. If the reviewer is missing something which should be obvious even to someone who hasn't read the source material then that's one thing and the reviewer should be (politely) called out for, but being critical of a reviewer because they can't see yet how something is going to come together to make the story better (especially when that wouldn't be obvious to those not already familiar with the story) is where the criticism gets both irritating and unfair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

The other thing that should be kept in mind here is that the inherent weakness of episode reviews (as opposed to cumulative reviews) is that they have to be very reactionary. You can't wait to see how things will develop over the course of several episodes or a whole season; you have to react to what's in front of you and how that relates to what's happened so far. If the reviewer is missing something which should be obvious even to someone who hasn't read the source material then that's one thing and the reviewer should be (politely) called out for, but being critical of a reviewer because they can't see yet how something is going to come together to make the story better (especially when that wouldn't be obvious to those not already familiar with the story) is where the criticism gets both irritating and unfair.

While I got a countrer argument, it does not pertain this reviewer, thankfully. that is when the reviewers assumes the show is doing X, not by amterial presented by the show, but because of other similar shows. Like some reviewers assuming firo and raftalia and melty are naofumi's harem then dismiss this as a harem show; because other isekais for similar harems., or because of the game mechanics; just for examples (ah eyah, downplaying the matriatchy thign and the demihuman racism have also been common complains in this anime, and the less we talk about slavery and false rape charges, the better).

But as said, before this has not been a problem with the current reviewer who has been doing a good job.

Key wrote:

Actually it isn't coming fast, as this one was confirmed from the beginning to be 24 eps. Whether or not it'll be 24 continuous eps is the only question.

Some of the complaints get adressed in end game, so unless the show seriously changes the "route" we won't be getting the real explanations in years, but at least we will get fake ones. somebody that watched "when they cry" (higurashi/umineko) should be familiar with that concept.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:11 am Reply with quote
Continuing to love this series! It seems our Hero is starting to grow and understand that there are bad consequences to saying "F*ck Everything"! Looks like he is realizing he will have to pull himself together and not let himself give in to hatred (good lesson) if he doesn't want to loose. Also, if Naofumi was half the creep people want to believe, he wouldn't have dumped the chance for a threesome Cool Some guys...
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
To the person who is reviewing this show, if u dont like this show dont review it. Honestly with each new episode the delays for the reviews are getting longer which is a sign you dont liek to see it and that migth compromise your opinion at least a bit.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
To the person who is reviewing this show, if u dont like this show dont review it. Honestly with each new episode the delays for the reviews are getting longer which is a sign you dont liek to see it and that migth compromise your opinion at least a bit.

Guess you failed to notice that everything from the second half of last week has been backlogged and is only getting posted today?

The most recent review was turned in at the same time as usual (i.e., late Wednesday night). Reviews don't automatically get posted immediately when turned in, as our editors look at them first, so we reviewers have no control over when they do get posted. For one reason or another the editors just got behind this past week.

Besides, as others have pointed out in this thread, if I disliked the show as much as you imply then I wouldn't be mostly giving it Bs. It's not even close to being one of my favorites - in fact, I'd put it in the middle of the pack of the 11 new or ongoing shows that I'm trying to follow this season - and there are individual aspects of it I definitely don't like, but I'd still be following this one even if I wasn't reviewing it. And I don't have the time to hate-watch stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
To address a point in the discussion, I feel an adaptation shouldn’t be reviewed using the source material as strongly as people feel.

Seeing people justify Naofumi’s persecution using LN stuff feel like it’s missing a point: anime is visual and can fit world building details like spoiler[the three hero church] in the background

The fact is that if the issue is that stuff in the LN comes later, it should be foreshadowed or eluded in the visuals of the show. Alternatively, the adaptation shouldn’t be one to one and should make changes to the source material to facilitate a better story

This and the mess that is Index are the main reasons why I advocate for modification tot the source.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

Guess you failed to notice that everything from the second half of last week has been backlogged and is only getting posted today?

The most recent review was turned in at the same time as usual (i.e., late Wednesday night). Reviews don't automatically get posted immediately when turned in, as our editors look at them first, so we reviewers have no control over when they do get posted. For one reason or another the editors just got behind this past week.

Besides, as others have pointed out in this thread, if I disliked the show as much as you imply then I wouldn't be mostly giving it Bs. It's not even close to being one of my favorites - in fact, I'd put it in the middle of the pack of the 11 new or ongoing shows that I'm trying to follow this season - and there are individual aspects of it I definitely don't like, but I'd still be following this one even if I wasn't reviewing it. And I don't have the time to hate-watch stuff.

In my 7 years i have been here this is the first time i ever been directly messaged by a moderator. Wtih that said, Your right i jumped the gun and i apalogize for it.

However, part of that same jump is partly due to what occured back when your reviewers posted there first impressions and those reviews seem more like bashing of a certain authors intention rather than actually review the details of said premiere so forgive me if i am jumping to conclusions.

Anyway, If u really are in the middle ground of those, maybe it might be a good thing your neighter enjoying it too much or hate it too much. A middle ground is better than with all these quick assumption reviews that have been occuring lately. just look at my first post even i do that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 36