• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Rising of The Shield Hero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
The after credits in previous episode made me fear it might go anime original, but it was only a retelling of what the priest told later in this episode about the fate of the other two heroes. Forgot that bit from the novels. spoiler[Of course the priest's plan failed and they survived.]
pip25

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
This episode was very badly paced and directed. The fight with the Spear Hero took up most of it, and man, I don't remember seeing a fight this boring in the show so far. It's one thing that the animation is minimal because of the budget, but at least try to make it look exciting for crying out loud!
For instance, I know naming your attacks and spells is an unspoken rule in anime/manga, but this episode took it up to eleven: the casting of the spell was so long that Naofumi even had time to comment on the phrasing used - while staying absolutely still like everyone else!
Also, right after Naofumi was chewed out for not trying hard enough to make up with the other heroes, listening to the same idiotic accusations from the Spear Hero and his entourage about brainwashing and such yet again was especially painful.
Given the pace of the current and recent episodes, I can't help but wonder: why are they trying to pad things out so much? From the new OP it seems obvious that they want to go beyond the first arc before the show's over, so why? If they keep this up, the second arc will barely have time to start... I simply don't get it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope they want to end it on a cliffhanger, that's the only explanation I can give; considering that the novel is now selling millions of units (as opossed to tens of thousands) this show was an amazing sucess.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do they have a plan for dealing with the Waves without the Cardinal Heroes around?

Well, presumably they could summon more with all four dead, right, and the new four might be more pliable (and the three non-Shield ones not be so embarrassing to the church)? It's not that different from Filotaria's threat if the four heroes don't cooperate.

Quote:
with the Filo/Malty combo in particular being pretty sweet

This one should be Melty. (Silly names easy to confuse, yes.)

The church's plot makes sense. Malty just seems incredibly stupid, her motivation is even more petty than imagined.
Shio Fung Zhu

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
Do they have a plan for dealing with the Waves without the Cardinal Heroes around?

Well, presumably they could summon more with all four dead, right, and the new four might be more pliable (and the three non-Shield ones not be so embarrassing to the church)? It's not that different from Filotaria's threat if the four heroes don't cooperate.

You see that weapon the pope holds at the end? Yeah, that, their Judgment Multicaster Spell, and their inflated ego/sense of worth is basically their plan. They think they can take on the waves themselves.
Gho5tRUN3R

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
with the Filo/Malty combo in particular being pretty sweet

This one should be Melty. (Silly names easy to confuse, yes.)

The church's plot makes sense. Malty just seems incredibly stupid, her motivation is even more petty than imagined.

Why are we saying Malty now and not Myne?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Presumably more details on this are forthcoming,

Yes, faulty writing; they could have fixed it for the novel/anime, but when the justification comes it's so late that you have already forgotten about the church.

For stuff that has already been hinted; maybe the church knows the real nature of the waves, which makes lot of sense and/or the church has or think it has, a way to defend themselves from the waves; both conditions being true also make more sense.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
Gho5tRUN3R wrote:
...Why are we saying Malty now and not Myne?
I wonder this too. I suspect some people here who call others like you or me "normies" would say "only real fans use the real name which is Malty" but since the subtitles flip around on this, it doesn't seem clear. BTW I think Melty/Malty are the worst character names ever so I prefer Myne on principal. Gotta think up a new name for the Princess...(maybe Constance??) Smile
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
Concerning the name thing, my understanding is that Myne is just an alias she was using to not make it obvious that she was a princess. She has been referred to as Malty on numerous occasions in recent episodes, so I've taken to using that instead of bothering with Malty/Myne.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
BTW I think Melty/Malty are the worst character names ever so I prefer Myne on principal.

Well, I won't disagree that those are two of the least impressive princess names to come along in anime quite a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
You are only like that because Milty, Molty and Multi have yet to appear.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Well, I won't disagree that those are two of the least impressive princess names to come along in anime quite a while.

Agree, but many parents like using a theme of sorts for naming their children. One of my aunts, named all four children of her children with "J" names.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:38 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Key wrote:

Agree, but many parents like using a theme of sorts for naming their children. One of my aunts, named all four children of her children with "J" names.

Perhaps the author has a thing for old school diner & malt/soda shop foods-mmm a turkey melt and a malted milk.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
^
I'm going for him being more a fan of Melty Lancer and then just spinning Malty off of that as a variant. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
I'm going for him being more a fan of Melty Lancer and then just spinning Malty off of that as a variant. Wink

You still doing a review of Magnificent Kotobuki?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
TheKillerAngel wrote:
Key wrote:
^

You still doing a review of Magnificent Kotobuki?

That one happens to be going up tomorrow morning! Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 36