• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Rising of The Shield Hero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote
EP19- Had to laugh at the writing. Just when Pope&Co. are down for the count, we get monologue-ing Confused . The show is even self-aware enough to have the Pope break it up by pointing out that all the talking gave them time spoiler[to power thier "ultimate weapon" back up]. Long on talk and not so much action and now we have to wait another week for the ultimate showdown, but at least Naofumi didn't turn into the ultimate "dick" after his promise...
pip25

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Can you believe that they've spent an entire episode standing in the same spot at the bottom of that pit?? I mean Ren at least once managed to jump out to cross weapons with the pope, but then for some reason jumped right back in! Because for some reason being sitting ducks at the bottom of the pit is an advantageous position, right...?
Also, after trying his best to reach out to the Spear Hero during the last episode, when the three heroes finally seem willing to cooperate, Naofumi suddenly changes his mind and starts bitching about basically everything the other heroes did wrong starting from episode one. Even though they are, you know, about to die and stuff, not to mention that he confronted them about some of those things (dragon corpse etc.) at least once already! Sad as the fact is, I found myself agreeing with the pope: these heroes, Naofumi included, are so idiotic that the world is probably better off without them.
This is not even funny anymore.

Last edited by pip25 on Thu May 16, 2019 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Moxxmix

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Have to agree with pip25. Despite really enjoying the show up to this point, this episode just did so much wrong that it was painful to watch.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Man, I like shield hero a lot but ... this episode was just so painful to watch.
Reading this scene in the LN I thought it was fine but watching as an anime really makes it obvious how idiotic it is to have a 10-minute argument (didn't actually time it) in the middle of a battle against a guy who literally dropped the equivalent of a meteor half an hour ago. They're still standing in the freaking crater it caused!
From a narrative standpoint having Naofumi finally vent his frustrations about all the shit he had to go through and the other 3 heroes actually listen instead of dismissing him this time must have felt extremely cathartic for the audience who empathise deeply with Naofumi. But for everyone else, this was such a stupid and petty thing for Naofumi to do.

Motoyasu definitely deserved all the shit Naofumi called him out on, Itsuki did too, Ren messed up too but he seemed like he took Naofumi's words about the dragon to heart and regretted it.
But regardless of how much fault they were all at this was NOT THE TIME OR PLACE for Naofumi to essentially bitch to them about how he had to clean up their shit.
He could have thrown some lines to them about how NOW they want to fight together but end with "we need to talk after this" or "you owe me" and continue the fight.
Naofumi also refusing their help until after he said his piece was also so silly and if he had some plan to act independently of them I'd wave it away but ... he's the SHIELD hero so... and he has to shield them...
So it makes that refusal to cooperate just sound so f***ing childish.
I can honestly say that even when Shield hero takes a big step forward, it somehow manages to take steps back afterward.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't expect much out of the three heroes. spoiler[In the light novels they don't get much better and they are usually having one issue or another that Naofumi has to get them out of]

They are just not nice people.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
hahaha.

We have a clear winner for the worse episode of the series.

Firo and raftalia having their funny reactions in the middle of somethign serieus was almost the worse thing of this episode. But ti was not, the worse was the naofumi monologue, not onyl did we get a dumbly stretched episode when we are this close to the end; what happened was even more dumb/fun.

For some reason the director/writer decided to drop WN (maybe LN) naofumi in the anime for a few moments, it woudl have worked if he was handled as a bitter, dumbed down person from the start but it felt weird and bad here; I noticed that because we actually got an inner monologue this tine; WN naofumi is so constantly bitter and angry that he commit some blunders, thigns that the anime skipped, like the fact that before he gets raftalia, other parties offer him his help, parties that look like proper adventurers, but he won't even listen (that's just one thing, he being angry and blundering is a constant for WN naofumi).

So having him act like the angry WN naofumi just for this fact felt pretty wrong.
pip25

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

For some reason the director/writer decided to drop WN (maybe LN) naofumi in the anime for a few moments, it woudl have worked if he was handled as a bitter, dumbed down person from the start but it felt weird and bad here;

That is a very good point. One of the things I liked about the anime compared to the manga is that it toned down Naofumi's constant "I don't care what is happening, I've decided to mope so I'm going to mope right now, because people have wronged meeee" attitude. Sure, Naofumi was mistreated in a lot of occasions and he obviously wasn't happy about all of that, but he nonetheless tried to remain reasonable throughout. Well, until now anyway.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
As utterly stupid as this all is, anyone who thinks it's unrealistic as to how people behave need only look around at the current political situation (and it's not specific to the US or even to government per se). In order to avoid a flame war, I'll leave it to the individual to decide who represents whom, but we have one side secure in their faith that God will save them, the other side squabbling amongst themselves while the other side powers up, and both sides too involved in their own issues to take meaningful action against the catastrophe bearing down on them all. I see this playing out irl every day.

If you reply to this at all, you need only say, "Yeah, I see it," or, "Maybe a little, if I squint real hard," or, "Nope, don't know what you're talking about." Any of those is fine, and that way we can keep the thread civil. Very Happy

Btw, I know this was written several years ago, but it was as true then as it is now, so I don't think that's relevant.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:53 am Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
Can you believe that they've spent an entire episode standing in the same spot at the bottom of that pit?? I mean Ren at least once managed to jump out to cross weapons with the pope, but then for some reason jumped right back in! Because for some reason being sitting ducks at the bottom of the pit is an advantageous position, right...?
Also, after trying his best to reach out to the Spear Hero during the last episode, when the three heroes finally seem willing to cooperate, Naofumi suddenly changes his mind and starts bitching about basically everything the other heroes did wrong starting from episode one. Even though they are, you know, about to die and stuff, not to mention that he confronted them about some of those things (dragon corpse etc.) at least once already! Sad as the fact is, I found myself agreeing with the pope: these heroes, Naofumi included, are so idiotic that the world is probably better off without them.
This is not even funny anymore.

Yeah especially since there was no reason to have the conversation then. He could have just been "there's a bunch of stuff I have to talk out with you all, but let's smoke that pope first"
db999

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:11 am Reply with quote
I just binged the entire show last weekend, and I've been enjoying the show thus far despite my 2 big complaints with it. Specifically the 1 dimensional Saturday Morning Cartoon villains, and everything to do with the slavery aspect. However, this episode was a real dud, as nothing happens. Everything is so dragged out, the events of the episode could have been covered in half the time. I haven't been so annoyed with the pacing of a show since the Archer vs Shirou fight in Unlimited Blade Works. The episode is also stuck working with the weakest aspect of the show, the underdeveloped villains. Hopefully next week the show will pick up again and we can actually get forward plot progression instead of just stalling for time.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
I just binged the entire show last weekend, and I've been enjoying the show thus far despite my 2 big complaints with it. Specifically the 1 dimensional Saturday Morning Cartoon villains, and everything to do with the slavery aspect. However, this episode was a real dud, as nothing happens. Everything is so dragged out, the events of the episode could have been covered in half the time. I haven't been so annoyed with the pacing of a show since the Archer vs Shirou fight in Unlimited Blade Works. The episode is also stuck working with the weakest aspect of the show, the underdeveloped villains. Hopefully next week the show will pick up again and we can actually get forward plot progression instead of just stalling for time.

one dimensional villains was the biggest problem of the WN, some bad arcs were the second problem; I expected the LN to fix that but it's actually worse; the villains are still as one dimensional and the good arcs are made worse but at least it seems like it will skip the bad arcs.

How bad are the villains, if you watched higurashi imagine the main villain without even ahving it's motivation arc revealed, that's how bad it is in shield hero.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Seeing the heroes finally come to accept (albeit grudgingly) that they have to work together is at least a little gratifying, though I am ambivalent about how hard Naofumi pushed for his own position on the matter; in some senses it needed to be established that he wasn't going to be a pushover for the others any more, but he's still acting like an ass above and beyond what's called for.

I agree that this was the wrong place and wrong time to have this conversation. But, Naofumi has every right to call them out completely for their wrong headedness.

They have chased him down like a bad dog to be put down, endangering his party and friends. If I was being chased down and constantly attacked, with the actual threat of physical harm to myself and the people I care about, there would be three graves dug. Naofumi is not being an ass or going beyond the pale. The three heroes deserve far much more for their actions against Naofumi. To be honest, if the three heroes were not needed to fight the waves, Naofumi wouldn't be in the wrong, to permanently put down the three heroes for his own safety and that of his party.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Ep20- Nice to finally see relationship development among the four heros instead of the insane "hate Naofumi" attitude like we got in Ep18. Also interesting to see the dragon-spirit spoiler[almost overcoming Naofumi], seems Fitoria knew what she was talking about cautioning against adding the T. Rex (dragon) to the shield. Again, I just had to laugh when Naofumi activates "Blood Sacrifice" and nothing happens immediately, then hespoiler[ seems to self-destruct..]

Ep21-Sorry, I just couldn't wait (does that make me a fanboy?). I almost dare anyone to say this wasn't a well written and directed episode. Of course I know some will, but I haven't seen foreshadowing used to frame the coming drama and the choices facing the protagonists so well in a while. And the characterizations remained consistent instead of changing to further the plot so things seemed to proceed in such a "natural" fashion it heightened the feeling (to me) that this could be a real setting with real people. And the way the direction called to question whether anyone truly deserved death for doing things like the King and Malty did, despite how despicable was inspired. Looking forward to further adventures...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
This was my most anticipated episode but I was greatly disappointed by it. Just didn't feel cathartic enough. Seeing Bitch in pain from the slave seal wasn't nearly enough. Wish it was more like the manga version where her and Trash really got their faces shoved into the dirt and suffered much greater humiliation.
Moxxmix

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
I thought this episode was extremely well done. I prefer how it played out in the anime over how it was done in the manga/novel. It also matched anime!Naofumi's character better, and matched up with how Raphtalia's revenge arc went. "Will killing him help you get closure?" Manga!Naofumi's maddened cries for their deaths would be massively discordant with the anime's approach to his character.

I also liked the Queen's character better, here. In the manga, she was manipulative, treating her family like pawns and carefully controlling Naofumi's choices. It was written as a forced outcome based on the Queen's wishes, not Naofumi's own agency. In the anime, she was much more of a queen doing her duty, despite how much it hurt her. The fact that it did hurt her also mattered; it showed that, despite everything, they were her family, not just political pawns.

Even Motoyasu was better. In the manga, he still stood by Mein despite her lies and manipulation. In the anime, that bit of utter foolishness was removed. He still acted the fool in some parts of the episode, but it was the innocent fool, not the mind-numbingly, "how is this person even still alive?" level of foolishness.

Basically, almost everything in the episode was done better than the manga. There were a few minor quibbles I might make, but this episode just worked perfectly.

I also have to say that it's an amazing relief, compared to the problems in adapting the fight against the pope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 36