• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Quintessential Quintuplets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
Ep 8 was fine. It was nice to bring the intensity down with some more everyday type shenanigans, and seeing Yotsuba get some attention was nice too, even if her character hasn't really gotten development as much as it's simply gotten some screentime. Overall the episode was a bit forgettable, but I chuckled.

The childhood friend thing with the photo at the end is probably the least interesting thing the show could have done, though. It's already set up that he's going to end up marrying one of the sisters, so why did we need to throw in a "mysterious childhood friend" thing, too? It's just so cliche, I rolled my eyes hard through the whole end of the ep.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
If the pacing was a little weird this episode, it's because the second and third segments actually happened a bit earlier in the manga, before exams. I'm not entirely sure why they were pushed a bit further.

The childhood friend element is a weird thing for the series to do, but I'm just glad that it's doing everything it can to keep the quintuplet interesting and relevant.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:05 am Reply with quote
Just curious, if anyone who has read it wouldn't mind sharing a minor spoiler (appropriately tagged of course), will we be waiting very long for Futaro (or the girls I suppose, though then we might actually learn who it was...) to learn that his childhood friend is one of the quints?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:42 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Just curious, if anyone who has read it wouldn't mind sharing a minor spoiler (appropriately tagged of course), will we be waiting very long for Futaro (or the girls I suppose, though then we might actually learn who it was...) to learn that his childhood friend is one of the quints?

spoiler[This episode covered chapters 21, 13, and 14. The manga is up to Chapter 75 and he still doesn't know. As for the girls, well, at the very least it's been implied that the childhood friend has known all along and has been hiding it for unknown reasons. That's all I'll say.]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:44 am Reply with quote
I'm not current with the anime so maybe it will be explained, but I'm having trouble imagining a situation where one of a set of quints could be a childhood friend without the others being aware of the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
"Sister wives" Anime/Manga Edition. After watching the 4th episode I binge on the manga and finished 75 chapter in one go. That's said something
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:53 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

spoiler[This episode covered chapters 21, 13, and 14. The manga is up to Chapter 75 and he still doesn't know. As for the girls, well, at the very least it's been implied that the childhood friend has known all along and has been hiding it for unknown reasons. That's all I'll say.]

Thanks! And spoiler[that's what I was (unfortunately) expecting. I was hoping the author wouldn't stick to the trope and keep it a secret for so long, but so much for that I guess]
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By comparison, the debate over the sleeping arrangements drags on a little too long, and the payoff of Futaro already being asleep is underwhelming.

I think the payoff being underwhelming is what makes it so hilarious. The quints have spent several minutes making a huge deal out of Futaro sleeping next to them, only to be met with the reality that Futaro cared so little about any of it that he already fell asleep. It just makes the whole thing feel a lot sillier.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:54 pm Reply with quote
As much as I'm loving this series, so much that I'll definitely pick up the manga when the seasons done, I cant deny it's horrible writing lol I mean its just absolutely terrible, but bad in just the right way to be a pleasant watch. I get that outside parties are supposed to have difficulty distinguishing which sister is which, but for them to have difficulty identifying each other? Come on now Anime smile + sweatdrop
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:25 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
As much as I'm loving this series, so much that I'll definitely pick up the manga when the seasons done, I cant deny it's horrible writing lol I mean its just absolutely terrible, but bad in just the right way to be a pleasant watch. I get that outside parties are supposed to have difficulty distinguishing which sister is which, but for them to have difficulty identifying each other? Come on now Anime smile + sweatdrop

I would think a noticeable glare from the morning light *would* make it pretty difficult to exactly tell who it was, even from the other sisters. And even then, when there's 5 of them, I can see how there would potentially be some confusion, especially when you take into account random factors like one girl randomly deciding to change their hair style.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Considering the joke online and in comment threads about holding hands being a significant plot point among other things (ie lewd), it's pretty funny seeing it being used as a test of a relationship Laughing
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I think the funniest thing about "Kintarou" is that aside from those few seconds of an atrocious attempt at being a bad boy, he doesn't really act any differently from Futaro. Which just goes to imply that Nino's hate of him really isn't anything personal.

Which has already been obvious up to this point, but this episode did a good job at showing it.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
Well I've already committed this far. Might as well see how this show ends. Though I'm kinda happy we got to see the other sequence from the OP.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Er, a small correction, Itsuki doesn't have any romantic feelings for Futaro yet at this point, at least nothing definitive. All her blushing and awkwardness is (likely) just to show she's an overly serious person who gets easily flustered, and her "test" was (likely) just to see if he was a trustworthy enough person that a more personal relationship with her sisters would be possible. The fact that Ichika feels the need to say "He's not like Dad" implies Itsuki might have some trust issues related to their father.

But yeah, this was a solid show, one of the more unlikely treats this season and it was enjoyable enough for me to catch up on the manga. If further seasons happen, we're in for some fun times.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Please, for all that is good, I hope the creator doesn't make Ichika or Itsuki the bride. I would prefer if Miku was, but I'd still be satisfied if Yotsuba or Nino came out with the win. But please, PLEASE not the other two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4