• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boogiepop and Others

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Is now a good time to revisit Boogiepop Phantom? I saw it so long ago, and remember it being a bit hard to follow at the time. A bit better after reading the first novel and watching the movie. But now the recent anime has covered all the stuff that comes before it, it might make a more complete watch. I remember Spooky Electric being in it, so vaguely, and looking at the cast list, Makiko Kisugi was in it too.

To answer my own question, yes. Just watched the first couple of episodes and the second episode has so much reference to Boogiepop at Dawn, it must be such a disadvantage not to have read/seen it. I can't remember if it gets explained later on in anyway, but feels so much clearer having this current series fresh in your head.

It's interesting how tonely different it is, though. It does a good job of taking the multiple view point narrative of it's parent series. However they really do double down on attempting horror, when it the main series is nothing like it.
Iriliane2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:28 am Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
To answer my own question, yes. Just watched the first couple of episodes and the second episode has so much reference to Boogiepop at Dawn, it must be such a disadvantage not to have read/seen it. I can't remember if it gets explained later on in anyway, but feels so much clearer having this current series fresh in your head.

It's interesting how tonely different it is, though. It does a good job of taking the multiple view point narrative of it's parent series. However they really do double down on attempting horror, when it the main series is nothing like it.

It's helpful to remember Phantom came out before Dawn, so while it's internally consistent to itself, there are some continuity inconsisitencies between the two. (Like the timing of when Dr. Kisugi gets her hands on the drug.)
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
@1idd0kun
@ Rose Bridges

I did go back and re-read and I stand corrected.
Nagi is a normal human...my only excuse it's been a while since I've read any of the novels.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
This episode we get the Japanese title of the series --- Boogiepop wa Warawanai, "Boogiepop doesn't smile (laugh)" as dialog when the King of Distortion tries to disguise themself as Boogiepop.
hatguy12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Ep 14 review wrote:
She's likely the girl he mentions as his date and seems to dismiss as probably being dead. His lack of concern, like the life of this girl he claimed to be in a relationship with doesn't matter to him, is obviously concerning, making me wonder what's going on with him. The death of the first person you have feelings for is the sort of thing that can deeply traumatize a young person. But Shirou acts like it's just a funny story from his past.

I had a very different impression of his scene. My impression was of someone who suffered loss and overcame the initial trauma, but is still affected by it at his core; I did not view anything as him being cavalier or joking about it.

I guess it's just a case of animation leaving things too difficult to read for two people to have near opposite reactions to the same scene. (I have no idea if the books makes things clearer in either direction)
Jindujun93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:04 am Reply with quote
hatguy12 wrote:
Ep 14 review wrote:
She's likely the girl he mentions as his date and seems to dismiss as probably being dead. His lack of concern, like the life of this girl he claimed to be in a relationship with doesn't matter to him, is obviously concerning, making me wonder what's going on with him. The death of the first person you have feelings for is the sort of thing that can deeply traumatize a young person. But Shirou acts like it's just a funny story from his past.

I had a very different impression of his scene. My impression was of someone who suffered loss and overcame the initial trauma, but is still affected by it at his core; I did not view anything as him being cavalier or joking about it.

I guess it's just a case of animation leaving things too difficult to read for two people to have near opposite reactions to the same scene. (I have no idea if the books makes things clearer in either direction)

The books have him state that he wasn't even certain how he felt about Naoko in the first place. Naoko had the tendency to be a bit pushy at times, so they ended up together before he knew it, but Naoko also died before he even fully sorted out his feelings regarding all of this, so he's still processing it.
alconnow_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
The Boogiepop vs Zoragi fight didn't disappoint.
It was my favourite scene in the LN.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Ever since the appearance of that monster, I'm still quite shocked that it wasn't animated in 3DCG throughout so seeing smug Boogiepop taking it out in pretty slick 2D animation was a treat. Heck, this episode felt it had relatively more expressiveness so it was cool one of Little Witch Academia animators worked on this.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
This series moved the Boogiepop novels to the top of my queue (I read the first few several years ago, and am rereading them now).

I'm hoping we'll get translations of more than just the first six novels.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:43 am Reply with quote
It did turn out to be a legitimately great series after all, I just don't if stealing away One-Punch Man's director was worth the trade off yet.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:11 am Reply with quote
Please guys don't hate me.
In my humble opinion this was a pretentious boring show.
I nodded off on so many occasions and had to re-watch many scenes.

The fact that I did not dropped it and managed to finish all 18 episodes means that it wasn't a bad show. I found some of it's ideas and concepts intriguing but man... give me another redbull to wake up!!
I'll give it a C+ .
The OP and ED were very good though.

My favorite pretentious boring anime and one on my top five list is "Texhnolyze" . A show that I dropped after a couple of episodes but after giving it a second try some years later I love it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
It did turn out to be a legitimately great series after all, I just don't if stealing away One-Punch Man's director was worth the trade off yet.

Boogiepop and Others is not exactly the type of series that would need a crazy, flashy animation fest like you see in One Punch Man (though the few scattered ones were damn good). But I think it would have helped if he had his animator contacts do more character acting animation and interesting cinematography like you see in a lot of KyoAni productions or Atsuko Ishizuka's stuff to really make the characters stand out. The base ideas found in this show are legitimately great and a cut above from what you normally see in light novels (props to Rose in bringing out those ideas). But I'll admit, there are times where some of the scenes can be boring to look at making it hard to keep track of the characters and their motivations until late in the series where the designs have gotten a lot more varied.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
This show is so dense with dialogue that it must be hard for a director to animate. Sometimes they used camera angles and the like to good effect like the conversation between Boogie and the young woman in the building in episode 17. Sometimes, like the material at the end of that episode involving Kyōichirō Teratsuki, it can get somewhat monotonous.

I also found it hard to keep track of all the characters, but maybe I'm just dense. Kirima Nagi stands out because she has a distinctive character model, but some of the other girls' character models were not so easy to distinguish, especially if you're watching on a weekly basis.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to hear the Zeppelin riffs played in the BGM in some episodes, like Episode 15. From what understand, Led Zeppelin is prominent in the King of Distortion book.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I also found it hard to keep track of all the characters, but maybe I'm just dense. Kirima Nagi stands out because she has a distinctive character model, but some of the other girls' character models were not so easy to distinguish, especially if you're watching on a weekly basis.

I thought that the character models were pretty easy to distinguish, especially because they were all pretty distinctive around the eyes, unlike a lot of shows where all the characters get the same eyes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5