• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Trans Allies Team Up to Raise US$300,000 on Donkey Kong 64 Charity Stream

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:34 am Reply with quote
I’ve never had an account before, so forgive me if my posting technique is wrong, but I saw some worrying things in this thread so felt a need to ask for some explanation. The topic isn’t clearly related to anime, but articles tangentially related pop up every now and then so it’s not a big deal. However, I’m not surw I understand the behaviour of the mods here, calling legitimate criticisms or theories “weasly” and supposedly deleting people’s comments that I doubt were unrelated to the thread.
It’s important to act professionally and without bias when running a website, otherwise you might end up censoring opinions that differ from your own.
Violynne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:09 am Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
I really dont like the idea of a Congress person being there. That creates a statement that says this is to selfishly further a political agenda vs healthily supporting trans people.

I can understand why people were upset by this, but she was invited (as well as any politician who defend rights for everyone).

No one expected any of them to show up.

Ocasio-Cortez did, to the surprise of many including the invitees.

Personally, I think this is a good thing and wish more politicians would get out with their public, at the least to understand their constituents instead of pretending they know what's best for them.

This is where I stop with political discussion on an anime site.

Carry on.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
N V wrote:
I’ve never had an account before, so forgive me if my posting technique is wrong, but I saw some worrying things in this thread so felt a need to ask for some explanation. The topic isn’t clearly related to anime, but articles tangentially related pop up every now and then so it’s not a big deal. However, I’m not surw I understand the behaviour of the mods here, calling legitimate criticisms or theories “weasly” and supposedly deleting people’s comments that I doubt were unrelated to the thread.
It’s important to act professionally and without bias when running a website, otherwise you might end up censoring opinions that differ from your own.

I think you'll be disappointed here.

As for linehan he's been a wanker for ages but now that he's turned his focus from calling everyone he disagrees with a nazi to calling trans activists nazis the in-crowd has noticed.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:30 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Hold on, let me check off "something something political agenda" and "this technically isn't about anime and that's definitely the real reason I don't want to hear about it" on my Internet Backlash Bingo card...

Happened to find the stream right when "AOC" came on, so that was a bit of a surreal experience. Someone posted part of that call-in on Twitter. Still can't quite comprehend how this blew up so quickly; this spontaneous stream from one guy (who wasn't remotely a big name in gaming) and a couple of friends earned about 14% as much as GDQ a couple weeks ago (a well-established bi-yearly event that runs for about a week and has an enormous cast-and-crew team). I guess people should marathon unpopular N64 games more often.

Hbomb is a relatively large name in the world of left wing media crit (and those who push back against the right wing ones, he shot to fame over his takedown of the Sarkessian Effect), but yeah, I had no idea that his relatively meager fan base could mushroom into raising this much money and attracting that number of celebrities. I mean, I knew of him from his posting in the Something Awful internet critics thread when I lurked it a couple years back, and when I saw the numbers on Twitch, I couldn't believe it. Over 10k viewers watching him bash his head against a poorly designed mini game for an hour? I was sucked in, right as Chelsea Manning was invited to the stream.

And yeah, even when he took sleep breaks and replaced the image with a literal skeleton puppet on camera, the donos kept rolling in.

As for AOC, she seems genuine about her stance on trans rights (living in a Congressional district a couple over from her means I get a ton of coverage of her views), but I'm still amazed she actually showed. Not sure if this could be counted as a political stunt, as the charity hbomb was donating the money to is in the UK while AOC is of course a first term congresswoman from Queens and the Bronx, but I guess I can see how some people could see it that way.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
JapariBus wrote:
Serious question: What does this have to do with anime? Why am I seeing this?

Swiftyy wrote:

On a sour note, I think I have to agree with others in this thread, I'm struggling to see why this is being reported on ANN.

N V wrote:
The topic isn’t clearly related to anime,

Because despite the name of the website ANN doesn't only post articles that exclusively pertain to anime but a variety of things that pertain to japanese culture and media which "shock" would include video games.....and last I checked Donkey Kong is the IP of Nintendo a japanese company that's been around since 1889. If the articles don't peak your interest despite the headline reading "interest" you don't have to click on it just to then incredulously ask in the subsequent thread "why is this here? it's not anime related".

It's 2019 and this is still a thing for no reason.

N V wrote:
I’m not surw I understand the behaviour of the mods here, calling legitimate criticisms or theories “weasly

Just because something may look legitimate doesn't mean that it is.

Wyvern wrote:

DK 64 is one of those games that was critically lambasted at the time (for having an excessive amount of collecting) but still sold like crazy. Yet these days I feel like a lot of people have warmed up to the game again, not just in spite of, but because of the huge number of things to collect. And that made it the perfect choice for this stream, since finishing the game isn't that hard, but getting 100% requires a ton of time and effort.

The game also had issues with badly designed minigames and being inferior to the Banjo-Kazooie games.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I really don't get where the backlash to this being reported is coming from. Funny how I don't see the same people criticizing ANN for reporting on the announcement of video games (and plenty of other video game related news), which is also non-anime.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3