• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Price of Smiles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikkio92

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
I couldn't agree more.
I had very low expectations to begin with and to be honest I kept following during the second half just to see how ridiculously bad it would get, but even then they managed to exceed my expectations - and not in a good way.
I can only give them credit for killing off MC-looking blond guy at the beginning, which was relatively bold, but definitely not enough to make up for the mediocrity of all the other choices.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I was like

"That's it?....."

I mean, I went in expecting this show to be about the two girls meeting and then trying to solve the issues politically by showing that they can get along.

But instead, we get death after death and then, POOF! it's sorted
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
The chrars were causing the nanomachines to stop working, so that is what was shut off, allowing the nanomachines to work properly again.
And apparently they could fix the environment in just a few months?!? You'd think things could have been managed better if that's all it took...
Apparently the nanomachines which have been around for centuries are needed to make plants grow and if they ever stop working the entire planet would become a wasteland.

meiam wrote:
Yeah I think the idea was that the EMP only broke the char, but then that makes another big problem, why wouldn't people just make new Char? It's just a mess all over
Since everyone on the planet decided to stop using chrars even though there were chrars production factories that could easily make more of them. This includes the empire which is a dictatorship and was using chrars knowing that they were causing the crops to fail. Than again the empire also decided to stop the war they were about to win, give back the territory they had taken, and give a slight reprimand to a soldier that had betrayed her country. Yuki was even casually visiting the empire just a few months later.
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
Easily one of the most disappointing endings of an anime ever...

I had high hopes because it is an anime-only story, so I expected the story to be told concludingly and well-paced over 12 episodes. But this was too much world building, too much tech background, and too much story, so it ended in a ridiculously illogical rush.

You don't tell the story of a mother an her lost child throughout three quarters of the story, only to have the mother die in front of the daughter without the daughter knowing who she really is! If you go through all this trouble (i.e. spending story time on this issue), you NEED the Hollywood ending (a mother-daughter reunion, either happy or with the dramatic death happening afterwards). Or you go the dark way and have the kid shoot the mother without knowing who she is, but of course you wouldn't do that in the final minutes of the last episode when there is no time for a full blown katharsis any more.

Well, every once in a while a show turns out to be not worth it. Most time the surprise is on the positive, though...
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Covnam wrote:

And apparently they could fix the environment in just a few months?!? You'd think things could have been managed better if that's all it took...
Apparently the nanomachines which have been around for centuries are needed to make plants grow and if they ever stop working the entire planet would become a wasteland.

Yes, I know. I was commenting on the speed at which the nanomachines brought the crops back seemed to be quite the turn around. If the effects were so damaging, you'd think there'd be more of a recovery time to restore everything to "100%"

Chrono1000 wrote:
Since everyone on the planet decided to stop using chrars even though there were chrars production factories that could easily make more of them. This includes the empire which is a dictatorship and was using chrars knowing that they were causing the crops to fail. Than again the empire also decided to stop the war they were about to win, give back the territory they had taken, and give a slight reprimand to a soldier that had betrayed her country. Yuki was even casually visiting the empire just a few months later.

Hmm? Where did you get that they all decided to stop using the chrars and the empire decided to stop the war & give back their captured territory?
Yuki & Stella activated the machine which stopped all the chrars from working world wide, presumably permanently, which immediately shut down all of both sides weapons, forcing the war to end which led to an armistice. I suppose you could imply that some territory was returned since it was mentioned that people were going back to the capital, but that's not a guarantee. Though would the empire even be able to hold on to their new territory without the majority of their military power being disabled?
Really, for the prologue all we got was that crops were growing, the fighting stopped, some things were good, some things were bad, and all the primary and secondary characters were happy *shrug*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5