• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

This episode really did not tone down the events from the manga,at most the language (and some blood)- C word I think was dropped.

It was more sexualized as well, which is more what I was thinking about - pretty much just the way the manga artist draws female bodies with more, ah, definition in a few areas. It was enough to make it feel more visceral for me that I thought it worth mentioning.

(I hope you're right about the red herring, but I'm not sure this story is that subtle...)
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

It was more sexualized as well, which is more what I was thinking about - pretty much just the way the manga artist draws female bodies with more, ah, definition in a few areas. It was enough to make it feel more visceral for me that I thought it worth mentioning.

I understand how this can be subjective for most people, but i actually felt the manga didn't overly sexualize this scene. This might be bc most of the torture scenes I've seen in manga have been hyper-exploitative, over-the-top content like in Berserk. At least for me, given all the dark content this series has, I feel it knows not to go "too" far (though what "too far" is will vary for some people).

That being said, I did not enjoy the scene, either in the manga or in the anime. That's probably intentional, of course, but it was extremely difficult to read the first time around. I feel like there will be long term consequences of this, even if it doesn't seem like it at first, and i hope there will. I appreciate how the manga treats its characters and their traumas with respect, so it would be a shame if it was all hand-waved away.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

(I hope you're right about the red herring, but I'm not sure this story is that subtle...)

Just trying to be nice to the writer Smile - spoiler[ given Franchine is whatever the Yuri trope which gives no Fs about personal space. Granted am on chapter 40 an no reveal yet.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

I understand how this can be subjective for most people, but i actually felt the manga didn't overly sexualize this scene. This might be bc most of the torture scenes I've seen in manga have been hyper-exploitative, over-the-top content like in Berserk. At least for me, given all the dark content this series has, I feel it knows not to go "too" far (though what "too far" is will vary for some people).

That being said, I did not enjoy the scene, either in the manga or in the anime. That's probably intentional, of course, but it was extremely difficult to read the first time around. I feel like there will be long term consequences of this, even if it doesn't seem like it at first, and i hope there will. I appreciate how the manga treats its characters and their traumas with respect, so it would be a shame if it was all hand-waved away.

"too far", are you referring to the manga reaching a certain point then not drawing the crucial graphic sexual and/or torture bits?

The manga repeatably makes a point of having it's antagonists and protagonists using torture in furtherance of their causes and fetishes/tropes-How far along in the manga are you,chapter 40?- trying not to dump a ton of spoilers...

Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

"too far", are you referring to the manga reaching a certain point then not drawing the crucial graphic sexual and/or torture bits?

For me, "too far" in a series like this would be presenting the torture as also "sexy," like a lot of other series do. This is often done with elaborate ropes and devices that seem to try and hit the BDSM fetish, in my experience. This comes down to author intent, as well; how often have we had scenes like this where the thought is clearly "Look how horrible this is! But isn't it also kinda sexy, wink-wink?"

This scene felt intentionally bare-bones, using tools you could conceivably find in a typical tool shed, and uncomfortably true to life (they may have used a water spirit, but it's basically waterboarding). It's horrible, but it serves a purpose for the plot, and is meant to be seen as horrible. How tolerable this is for people will vary and is subjective, and there are moments in the manga that definitely tow the line of exploitation, but i didn't think this scene did so. It's meant to be horrible and is portrayed as such.

I've read up to volume 4 of the series, released in english. Volume 5 is sitting on my shelf, i just haven't gotten to it yet.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Considering the mangaka, who also does the series composition for the anime, was a head writer of Psycho Pass, I expected some grimdark shit.

Well, here we go.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

For me, "too far" in a series like this would be presenting the torture as also "sexy," like a lot of other series do. This is often done with elaborate ropes and devices that seem to try and hit the BDSM fetish, in my experience. This comes down to author intent, as well; how often have we had scenes like this where the thought is clearly "Look how horrible this is! But isn't it also kinda sexy, wink-wink?"

Chapter 30 + something----
---------- spoiler[ You'll get a young girl dressed in skimpy BDSM suit being tentacle molested by a pretty much topless evil yuri magical girl.].

And baring the spoiler[ the above, torture,sexual to plain old cutting on someone,happens every now and then throughout the story.]

Edit:One thing you'll have noticed is those girls who have contracted their power from the evil side wear BDSM-ques swimsuits,while those who contracted their powers from the good side wear typical,sexualized,magical girl outfits.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
Considering the mangaka, who also does the series composition for the anime, was a head writer of Psycho Pass, I expected some grimdark shit.

Well, here we go.

Yes
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I've fallen behind on this anime, but like what others may say, the torture scene in episode 4 was (please pardon my french), royally fucked up, and extremely hard to read, especially compared to some of the stuff I read in the Magical Girl Raising Project light novel. But at least it wasn't presented in a way to elicit arousal from anyone who would have a demented mind (unlike that infamous fan manga "U.S. Angel Corps", I'm surprised the author of that didn't get arrested).

UPDATE: Finished episode 3. Good episode, but animation was inconsistent, and it was obvious which scenes they put their budget into (plus I swear Kurumi's gonna have back problems later in life, if she lives at the end of the anime/manga)...

@Nordhmmer
How old were those two girls, just wondering....? Shocked

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

@Nordhmmer
How old were those two girls, just wondering....? Shocked

Nozomi, Asuka's school friend? She' a freshman in high school,so 15-16?(Asuka is leaning towards 17)
And murder girl Abigal.Her age is not specified in the manga but more than likely is 16 ish.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
High school freshman or first year would be 16 if it's in Japan (Japanese high school students start at 16 and graduate at 18)...

And they actually had that licensed in chapter 30, got away with it? WTF...Shocked
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
(because Crunchyroll is being stupid and giving me errors that are preventing me from watching it, damn you Crunchyroll! Evil or Very Mad)

That is victim shaming at its finest. ATM Crunchyroll is under a ddos attack because after someone leaked the broly DBZ super movie into the wild, some pirate streaming sites uploaded it which prompted TOEI to directly knock on the owner doors threatening legal action, so more sites shutdown preemptively which angered many (the latin twitter feed is full of threats) and no doubt a script kiddie was triggered. You will not hear it in ANN because obviously they do not want to encourge the ddos attacker(s?).

Yeah, I also have been having problem accessing crunchyroll, but this time around it is not crunchy being a cheap with their budget on IT infraestructure.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
How was I to know that? I'm not a psychic!

I do hope said problem gets resolved though.
Oronae

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:31 am Reply with quote
That torture scene was kind of bleh and unimaginative.

They had it set in a yakiniku place, and made a point of showing cooked meat, and then all they do is burn her with the tongs a little? I was expecting them to fry up a chunk of her and make her eat it.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
And they actually had that licensed in chapter 30, got away with it? WTF...Shocked

chapter 30? Episode 4 adapts chapters 5 & 6.
(If you're asking about that spoiler I posted a few comments back...That happens in chapter 39.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10