• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kaguya-sama: Love is War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
If the guy who was avoiding you most of the time compliments your NEW smell in one of the rare moments he's sharing space with you, it wouldn't be paranoid to immediately leap to the conclusion "Was my previous smell turning him off?"

It would be paranoid, but paranoid misunderstandings are common. The comment mostly made be think of the ridiculously named shampoo from the 1970s and 80s "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific."

Major kudos to the translator this week coming up with entirely different jokes in place of the puns actually said in Japanese. (The elephant trunk / wiener joke made me think of Crayon Shin-chan, which was probably intentional.)

For example, the kiddie word for penis that she's trying to get him to say is "chinchin." The common word for streetcar or trolley is 路面電車 romen densha, which literally means (surface) streetcar. There's also a slang term for it of ちんちん電車 chinchin densha, though there the actual etymology of chinchin is the clanging and dinging sound of the bell of the trolley. (Cue Judy Garland and Meet Me in St. Louis.) Kaguya interrupts by saying "trolley."
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
If the guy who was avoiding you most of the time compliments your NEW smell in one of the rare moments he's sharing space with you, it wouldn't be paranoid to immediately leap to the conclusion "Was my previous smell turning him off?"

It would be paranoid, but paranoid misunderstandings are common. The comment mostly made be think of the ridiculously named shampoo from the 1970s and 80s "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific."

The only person who knows why Ishigami leaves the Student Council room as quickly as possible is Miyuki so Chika and Kaguya have to guess why the guy is avoiding them. Until Chika says she knows why Ishigami is doing it, I'm sticking with the idea she's cycling through possibilities and that includes she's the reason for it.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In an effort to thin out the competition, they offer intentionally bad study tips (which become progressively more impractical as the segment wears on) to one another and Chika

I don't think that was to thin out competition, it was just to keep up face, as if they were effortlessly breezing trough test (for everyone in school at the moment, don't cram the day/week before, it's worthless and you'll end up spending way more time on it than just re reading your note 10 minutes before every class, which will not only help you remember stuff but also make it far easier to follow the class, leading to less study time needed. Cramming is also pretty useless once you get to high education level, like the last year of undergraduate school and graduate school, so if your aiming for academic start to learn how to study well now).
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
I feel the Anime didn't convey the exam situation 100% clear, which it's understandable since it's a little time constricted.

The situation it's that Kaguya NEVER tries her 100%, that's why there was that imagenery with her holding a little sword against a random girl with a bigger one, she does that because she was raised to be likeable as a social weapon and nobody likes somebody who wins all the time.

Studying it's the only thing she tries her 100%...just for Shirogane to defeat her all the time which frustrates her to no end.

Shirogane is not a natural born genius and he is poor yet is in love with Kaguya, a perfect genius rich girl who can do anything, his only weapon it's his hard-workingness, in his mind, studying it's the only field he has to proof to himself and the world that he deserves the right to be both the school president and to marry Kaguya.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I feel the Anime didn't convey the exam situation 100% clear, which it's understandable since it's a little time constricted.

I feel that the Anime conveyed everything you wrote in your post blindingly clearly, and to more explicitly spell it out any more directly (such as with dialog) would have been a horrible mistake, albeit fairly typical for the low quality and child-oriented storytelling found in many anime.

With regards to episode 9, the Smithee A. Herthaka persona that Hayasaka adopted had a pretty outrageous "stereotypical foreigner" accent. It wasn't represented at all in the subtitles, so I doubt that the dub will reflect it either.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
A nice note about the Chika cheating scenario is it's following up an earlier (and recurring) gag about her being a "politician's daughter" who'll use any manner of underhanded cheat to get what she wants.
Flü

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
So far a very strong adaptation of a great manga, all the way through.

Now if they also handle the legendary fireworks-chapter properly, this easily will be an early AOTY-contender.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
A 10/10 season finale episode. The only thing that could've made it better is if the driver were voiced by George Nakata.

https://youtu.be/b8fAGvRc1mk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Second season for my boy Ishigami when?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
This was easily my anime of the season. When I first heard the premise I was afraid it would come across as cruel or mean-spirited, but the show is completely sympathetic to its characters in a way I wasn't expecting, while never letting up on the humor.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
A fantastic show and finale, though I am a little interested in what way the show is "subversive." The show's message is timeless and old fashioned, almost a tribute to classic screwball comedies; it ultimately reaffirms romances though its implicit and explicit comedic rebuke of the leads' actions. Not all comedies, even hilarious comedies, are subversive.

I suppose you can call it subversive of the sort of adolescent (and arrested development) world weary cynicism that affects even men and women in their adulthood these days, in the way that people can be called subversive for advising others to clean their rooms.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Kinda wish there was more joke in the final episode, ultimately this is a comedy show, having maybe 5-6 jokes max in a season final is a bit weak...
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The only complain I have on would be the short length that forced the studio to skip some chapters... like 15 or so, which left out an important one: The one where we discover about Hayasaka, it hurts a little the chapter when Shirogane sleeps next to Kaguya since on it we learn about Shirogane's crushing schedule and we realice Hayasaka is actually constantly trying to get the 2 together so she can have free time which is why she tells Shirogane to basically take advantage of Kaguya on her weakened state.

We also learn on it that the Director plays Pokemon Go, that's why on the final chapter he is walking around looking at his phone, he even says "Go" to make sure the joke lands and that she considers Chika her mortal enemy.

Also, why episode 3 has a different ending? (Not a complaint, I am curious).
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
Great final episode, and while I hope we'll get a second season, until then, anyone know about what chapter this finale is around?
Sports_Medicine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:27 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Great final episode, and while I hope we'll get a second season, until then, anyone know about what chapter this finale is around?

This episode adapts chapters 45 and 46; there's currently more than 140 chapters so there's more than enough material for a second and even third season if we're lucky enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5