• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: W'z

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"This episode embodies every awful quality about Hand Shakers, from its artistry to its writing to its music."

Quote:
"...awful...music."

And into the trash it goes.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:13 am Reply with quote
I'd been avoiding this show like the plague ever since it came out, but now that I've seen those God awful golden, shiny chains... I kinda wanna watch it. Cool
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I've read through all 10 or so reviews. These are priceless I tried to give HandShakers a try, but dropped it after 4 episodes cause I heard it can give you actual nausea and I get motion sickness quite easy. Aside from that the story and the CGI were just plain garbage anyways.

Still here I was excited to see GoRa's new work just to be trolled that it was a sequel.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Will our heroes unite and defeat the Okiuke Group once and for all? That might mean the Hand Shakers franchise will be done with for good this time, so I can only hope so.

Don't bet on it. The only reasonable explanation for the existence of these two shows is it's someone's very dear pet project at GoHands, and they really don't want to give it up. Expect that 'To Be Continued' to be tacked on the last frame of next week's episode. In all caps. Cool
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
It's kind of incredible how consistently W'z has failed at every aspect of entertainment; from its garbage or potential-wasting plot and characters to its godawful CG elements, its criminally unmemorable music.

I hope whatever GoHands does next it's eons away from this technicolor dumpster fire.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so a normal person might have thought of this in the exact opposite way, but I only JUST now realized that "Hand Shakers" referred to the act of shaking hands with someone you just met and NOT spontaneously bursting out into jazz hands. I'm pretty disappointed, tbh.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Of all the amazing series out there, it's Handshakers that gets a sequel. Because sure, I get it. When you have the world's best creme brulee, the only logical thing you can do next is chow down on a White Castle slider that's been left out in the rain!

Urgh. That gut punch is on point. Thanks.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
James! Hand Shakers is bad enough without you conjuring up worse and creepier titles like Finger Feelers. Ever see those little rubber tentacle ends made to put on your fingers? That's what I am envisioning...Anyway, my pet theory for some of these Japanese oddities of language is that some people over there know enough English words to try actually using them but without understanding the language or contextual usage. Betterman and Last Exile were once upon a time my pet peeve for naming a disease Algernon and a mineral Claudia respectively, which are people's names and reserved for people or pets. Then there's Gundam because as was actually explained once upon a time, the invention of Guns revolutionized the old world so the "revolutionary" new weapon would be called a Gun-dam (face-palm!).
thieftheodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:30 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
It's kind of incredible how consistently W'z has failed at every aspect of entertainment; from its garbage or potential-wasting plot and characters to its godawful CG elements, its criminally unmemorable music.

I hope whatever GoHands does next it's eons away from this technicolor dumpster fire.

Unmemorable music? Yes Handshakers and W'z are dumpster fire but their music are awesome. And one more thing, W'z will have better animation than One Punch Man s2
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:52 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Then there's Gundam because as was actually explained once upon a time, the invention of Guns revolutionized the old world so the "revolutionary" new weapon would be called a Gun-dam (face-palm!).

The "revolutionary" thing was an in-universe retcon, supposedly. In reality, Mobile Suit Gundam was originally going to be called "Freedom Fighter Gunboy" (he carried a gun and fought for freedom!) before marketing stepped in and combined the dom in "Freedom" with the Gun in "Gunboy", resulting in "Gundom".

The creator then changed it from "-dom" to "-dam" because it was armed with (in the words of whomever currently edits Gundam's Wikipedia article) "a gun powerful enough to hold back enemies like a hydroelectric dam holding back water". Laughing

Tomino would later use the name "Gunboy" in the 2000 novel For the Barrel - a "reimagining" of Gundam commissioned by Newtype Magazine - whose protagonist piloted the "Machining Worker Gunboy-Wilbur". I remember seeing ads for it back then, and thinking the name was really goofy. Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
^Well alright then, that's convoluted. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3