Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dororo


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
#Synaesthesia



Joined: 30 Jan 2019
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I wasn't the only one that noticed Osamu Kobayashi's unique style, lol. Had to look in the credits and yep, mr Gurren Lagann ep 4 himself directed this Laughing
Not saying his style is bad, it's just a stark difference from all that other eps, but good nonetheless.

Also, Dororo hasn't confirmed to us that he's a she, so it's best to assume that he's trans, which means what gender others assign him is irrelevant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8167
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
Also, Dororo hasn't confirmed to us that he's a she, so it's best to assume that he's trans, which means what gender others assign him is irrelevant.

By the same token, Dororo hasn't confirmed to us that they're a he, so it's more likely their gender matches their sex and they just prefer male clothing and speech. Best is probably not assuming either way. Always assuming someone is trans based solely on heteronormative gender presentation effectively makes invisible people who are not trans, but simply prefer clothing and mannerisms traditionally associated with the opposite gender. Or who, as in Dororo's case, may have compelling external reasons to adopt that presentation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#Synaesthesia



Joined: 30 Jan 2019
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
#Synaesthesia wrote:
Also, Dororo hasn't confirmed to us that he's a she, so it's best to assume that he's trans, which means what gender others assign him is irrelevant.

By the same token, Dororo hasn't confirmed to us that they're a he, so it's more likely their gender matches their sex and they just prefer male clothing and speech. Best is probably not assuming either way. Always assuming someone is trans based solely on heteronormative gender presentation effectively makes invisible people who are not trans, but simply prefer clothing and mannerisms traditionally associated with the opposite gender. Or who, as in Dororo's case, may have compelling external reasons to adopt that presentation.


yes, your argument does make logical sense... only you're forgetting that Dororo has been doing everything to present himself as a boy, including using the masculine "ore" pronoun, and gets really shy about people seeing his private parts. If you've been paying attention at all in the series, you'd figure out that Dororo identifies as a male.


Last edited by #Synaesthesia on Thu May 02, 2019 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 686
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
klokei07 wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
Why ...snip....


maybe you should read the manga again cause that's not what happens, like at all.
0snip-


I'm quite familiar with the manga.

Dororo knows she's a girl,the manga is clear on this.
Seems more like folks are projecting their 21st century PC sensibilities into a 52 year old story-a story set during Sengoku period.

A bandit father protected his daughter by teaching her to act as a boy around others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#Synaesthesia



Joined: 30 Jan 2019
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
at this point using the manga to support your argument about the anime is no longer valid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3425
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
So did Dororos parents force her to live as a boy to protect her or because her father needed a male heir to take over if anything happened to him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8167
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
...only you're forgetting that Dororo has been doing everything to present himself as a boy, including using the masculine "ore" pronoun, and gets really shy about people seeing his private parts. If you've been paying attention at all in the series, you'd figure out that Dororo identifies as a male.

And you're overlooking the "may have compelling external reasons to adopt that presentation" possibility.

Likewise I'm not persuaded by the reviewer's argument that "not only has he known no other way of life outside of boyhood, but he's happier that way!" Most trans people have known no other way of life during childhood than being raised as the gender they were assigned at birth, yet they still know who they are. And living as a boy in an overwhelmingly patriarchal society, it's not surprising Dororo would find that preferable, even while still viewing herself as a girl, if indeed they do. Again, we don't know.

Had I had parental approval to dress and behave as a boy, I certainly would have done so, and did to the extent I could get away with it, but I am not trans. I just wanted the privileges and respect (and comfortable clothes) that went along with being a boy that girls were denied then.

I don't object to people viewing Dororo as trans, as long as you don't claim the prerogative of deciding that's the only way to view the character.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jex2193



Joined: 28 Jan 2014
Posts: 247
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
...only you're forgetting that Dororo has been doing everything to present himself as a boy, including using the masculine "ore" pronoun, and gets really shy about people seeing his private parts. If you've been paying attention at all in the series, you'd figure out that Dororo identifies as a male.

First I'm gonna say I'm sick of people trying to say stuff like this about Dororo being full on trans.
She's a girl. A girl raised to be a boy, probably because she's the only child of the freakin leader of the clan. She's 100% aware that she's a girl, she just acts like a boy. Both of her parents died and who do you think would do better in surviving? A boy or a girl? Of course a man would survive. However! In no way has Dororo ever claimed to be a boy. When people in the series calls her "boy" she doesn't correct them obviously, but she also doesn't going around telling people she's the son of anyone, and besides the weekly one-off characters no one brings it up.

Second, Dororo actually uses the pronoun "Oira" which is still a boy's pronoun but it's of a bumpkin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Punch Drunk Marc



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 1116
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:01 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So did Dororos parents force her to live as a boy to protect her or because her father needed a male heir to take over if anything happened to him.


I'm going to with the former, because it was never stated (or even implied) that he wanted Dororo to take over for him when he died. My guess is that the supposed island with the treasure on it was for her to keep living on. She was never told to avenge her parents or anything like that, she was just told to live.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zztop



Joined: 28 Aug 2014
Posts: 410
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From the manga to the '60s anime to the video game, every other portrayal of Hyakkimaru's brother has depicted him as an antagonist.


Don't forget the 2007 live action movie too.
Although they spoiler[diverged from Tezuka's story and gave Tahoumaru a happier outcome in that one.]

Quote:
Hyakkimaru has allies who feel compelled to criticize his behavior, but Tahomaru only has paid henchmen.


Yes and no. As lifelong retainers, Mutsu and Hyogo do have concerns for their master and do openly speak out/lightly advise against his thoughts and opinions; they're not mere yes-people. But they are still beholden to the master-retainer relationship of "the master's word is absolute if that's what they want". It's why they haven't stepped up to knock some harder sense into Tahoumaru's thick head.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gpanthony



Joined: 18 Dec 2013
Posts: 143
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:18 am Reply with quote
I was half expecting the rat demon's children to be turtles...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Merida
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1863
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Let's begin at the end, with the best moment of the episode: Hyakkimaru calling Jukai “mama.”


This broke my heart (in a good way).

People have been calling Hyakkimaru a robot, but this scene showed that he was never really "emotionless". He's always known what Jukai did for him, but it's only now that he's got the words to express it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3425
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
So next episode Hyakkimaru will save Dororo, and most likely see his brother again. I'm wondering if this will be a the final part lasting until ep24 or it will resolve for a few more monster of the week style episodes, where Hyakkimaru gets back more of his body, before the show goes into the final part of the story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
zztop



Joined: 28 Aug 2014
Posts: 410
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:25 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So next episode Hyakkimaru will save Dororo, and most likely see his brother again. I'm wondering if this will be a the final part lasting until ep24 or it will resolve for a few more monster of the week style episodes, where Hyakkimaru gets back more of his body, before the show goes into the final part of the story.


Manga-wise, there were 3 more monster of the week arcs before the final story arc. It depends if the anime wants to adapt those 3 arcs or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3425
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
This episode was great, it had everything I would want from this type of show, great fight scenes, great character interactions, emotional moments, stuff being blown up, cool monsters etc. Itachis character arc came to a very satisfying conclusions, and I like how Dororo sort of made peace with him, she didn't let her feelings get in the way of what was happening. And that part where Shiranui looses it and drops the torch on the bombs to cause that landslide was cool, though why the bottom part of him was not vaporised is beyond me.

Next week episode does seem to be a one off story(maybe another monster of the week episode), I wonder if he will get his eyesight back before the final arc of the story, it seems unlikely he will get his arms back for plot reasons.


Last edited by MarshalBanana on Wed May 22, 2019 1:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group