• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dororo

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alconnow_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 is heartbreaking Sad

spoiler[Hyakkimaru gets his voice back! However, he also ends up losing a leg.
It was pretty obvious that Mio was a prostitute, however, I wasn't expecting the anime to be explicit about it.]

Biwamaru is my favourite supporting character. He's so cool!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is played out as a major surprise, though all the signs are there from our first encounter with her. ... We are supposed to be as surprised and horrified as childish Dororo at Mio's actions, instead of seeing it as a self-sacrificing dedication to her orphan charges.

That is totally not how I read the framing of this. The very fact that all the signs are there from the first encounter tells me that we're not supposed to be surprised. We're supposed to be dreading Dororo's horror and loss of innocence when Mio's true occupation is discovered, as we can expect it will be. You saw it as self-sacrificing dedication - do you think the general audience is less sophisticated than you and so couldn't see that as well, through the whole leadup to the reveal?

And I didn't miss any of the other brewing plot points you mentioned either, so I don't know why you think they were so obscure. I'm not the sharpest tool in the drawer when it comes to noticing side hints, so if I got them, anyone could. I'm quite pleased the writers didn't see the need to beat us over the head with anything the way it sounds like you wanted them to.

Excellent episode. Looking forward to the second part.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We are supposed to be as surprised and horrified as childish Dororo at Mio's actions, instead of seeing it as a self-sacrificing dedication to her orphan charges.

Um, no? I mean you'd have to be very...innocent not to pick up all the not-so-subtle signs, like a young child for example. Dororo quickly took a liking to Mio and the orphans and probably expected "serving" these soldiers meant bringing them food and drink, so we were supposed to experience Dororo's shock in that scene, not our own.

Very good episode again, you could physically feel Hyakkimaru's pain and fear, good thing Biwamaru's around.
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that was supposed to be a twist, it was made astoundingly obvious from the early parts of the episode.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Just caught up on this last week and man it's definitely not a show to be missed. The opening episode blew me away, like damn that animation was smooth as butter. I'm like a fish on a hook now.

Don't know if the show intend to keep us guessing or for us to even question it at all. But yeah, I kinda figured the truth about Dororo straightaway. It's one of those things that's not in your face obvious, yet it feels like there's a big neon sign spelling it out. I dunno maybe I just watch too much anime. Anime dazed

Episode 5 was pretty sad to watch, the idea of getting something back at the cost of losing something else really stings.
BreathoftheWater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the revelation of Mio being a prostitute was intended to be shocking or surprising since the signs were very obvious. The scene was more focused on showing how shocked Dororo was and her loss of innocence, along with the sorrow of what Mio has to endure for the sake of the children.

What WAS intended to be shocking and surprising was Hyakkimaru losing the leg that he had gotten back before. Episode 5 excels at showing the sorrow and brutality of life for commoners living in the Sengoku Era of Japan as well as the suffering that both Mio and Hyakkimaru have to endure.
alconnow_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
good thing Biwamaru's around.

Biwamaru is the best
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Honestly episode 5 kind of just broke my heart, despite its predictability. I don't really think her job was meant to be a big twist, there were way too many signs from the first five minutes. I think they were building up the dread of our protagonist figuring things out. Unfortunately with the way things are looking/how these stories usually go, I'm going to guess Mio is not long for this world.

The twist I wasn't expecting (never have read the source material or anything) was Hyakkimaru losing his newly returned leg, but in hindsight, yeah of course that would happen. According to the pattern set so far, I wouldn't be shocked that he gets his sight back, and the first thing he sees is a dead body.

This episode really humanized Hyakkimaru past his tragic background and terrible circumstances. I cracked up with him covering his ears every time Dororo spoke. Seeing him actually smile for once, as small as it was, was a nice respite from the constant cruelty every episode. Its pretty neat that this story of an almost robotic person becoming more and more human (and therefore, weaker) is set in the past, instead of the future where I feel these types of stories are more commonly set.
alconnow_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I feel stupid saying this but it only occurred to me that Mio was a prostitute when the child started talking about her job. When she was bathing her lower half I didn’t really think much of it. It was only when the children started talking about her job that it became obvious for me...

I’m also interested in Hyakkimaru’s younger brother.
spoiler[In the OP, he has one eye. Hmm]
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
BreathoftheWater wrote:
I don't think the revelation of Mio being a prostitute was intended to be shocking or surprising since the signs were very obvious. The scene was more focused on showing how shocked Dororo was and her loss of innocence, along with the sorrow of what Mio has to endure for the sake of the children.
That's how I saw it as well, as it only shows two shots of her, and mostly Doros shocked and scared reaction.
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

The twist I wasn't expecting (never have read the source material or anything) was Hyakkimaru losing his newly returned leg, but in hindsight, yeah of course that would happen.

I wouldn't say "newly" returned leg, since he got it quite a while before even meeting with Dororo, in a flashback, but yeah, that's by far the most shocking twist thus far, since as far as I remember spoiler[ he never loses any regained body parts in any iterations of the story released thus far, even counting the PS2 game].
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Hyakkimaru knows nothing of prostitution nor of any morale & social quandaries which that occupation entails.He does know Mio has a pure soul,and that is all that matters.

This adaptation changed the how & when of their meeting,but Mio being Hyakkimaru’s first love is unaltered-And I doubt this version of 'Dororo' will change her fate.
Uchay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Besides the intent to show Dororo's shock at learning Mio's job, imo, that scenes also shows that the song Hyakkimaru loves so much is also Mio's way of coping while doing her job, and that left me so sad for some reason.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I've read the original manga and I can't remember a lot of it, so I'm not sure if Mio's "profession" is an anime only story or if it was present in the manga. Either way, I agree with other posters, I didn't see her situation to be for the audience to discover, but for the characters in the story to do so. I didn't get the washing her lower half as being a hint, but then the kids mentioned she worked at night and her reaction when Dororo told her Hyakkimaru could "see" people's souls and she covered herself up, I immediately went there. It's kind of a given, she's a girl of a certain age, taking care of a bunch of other kids, an orphan and the world she lives has not been shown to be kind. I honestly don't think they were going for a plot twist w/ the ambiguity.

Looking forward to seeing next week's episode.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
More agreement here: the shock is for Dororo, not for us. The episode actually managed a really poignant moment because the category of camp follower into which Mio fell was so obvious: her instinctual clutching of her kimono's top when confronted with Hyakkimaru's "gaze" spoke volumes about her attitude toward the disconnect between her tragic work and her nature as a human being. I felt it was actually an example of the show's effort to puncture the stereotype of prostitutes as inherently "loose women" or "degraded" people; Mio's an innocent no matter what she's forced to do to stay alive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13