• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Made in Abyss Compilation Anime Film Gets U.S. Premiere on March 15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Be there or be square.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it will be getting a Blu-ray release as well. MiA is one of those series I'd prefer to own in a more condensed form, but even though the Attack on Titan movies had dubbed theatrical releases we're still here years later without any home video options.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
@Raikuro

Agreed, I think MiA will transfer to a condensed form unusually well. Normally I'm leery of compilation movies because they often end up cutting important scenes, but MiA had a lot of redundant content. Not only did you have the normal OPs and EDs but each episode began with a recap of the previous episode. Cut out redundant OPs and EDs, cut out the recaps, and you can make a compilation movie that cuts very little, if any, actual content.

...theoretically, anyway. I'm interested to hear what, if anything, the compilation movies cut and/or re-animated.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I think the first six episodes can easily be condensed down to a two hour movie compared to other anime shows. I'm glad they're not taking too long to bring these movies to the US.
NeverKnewINeeded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think the first six episodes can easily be condensed down to a two hour movie compared to other anime shows. I'm glad they're not taking too long to bring these movies to the US.

AkumaChef wrote:
Easily. I don't even think they'd have to cut anything to get the first 6 episodes to 2 hours. The episodes are nominally about 22 minutes each, but once you remove redundant OPs, EDs, and recaps there's probably only about 15-18 minutes of unique content in each episode. Even if we assume they're a full 20 minutes of unique content that's still only 2 hours of combined footage for 6 episodes with no "condensing" at all.

The first movie ends where episode 8 ends. That leaves the last 5 for the second film.

Last edited by NeverKnewINeeded on Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Easily. I don't even think they'd have to cut anything to get the first 6 episodes to 2 hours. The episodes are nominally about 22 minutes each, but once you remove redundant OPs, EDs, and recaps there's probably only about 15-18 minutes of unique content in each episode. Even if we assume they're a full 20 minutes of unique content that's still only 2 hours of combined footage for 6 episodes with no "condensing" at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1