• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nissin Apologizes for White-Washed Tennis Champ Osaka in Cup Noodle/Prince of Tennis Ads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrizy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:37 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I could completely understand non-anime fans having issues with this because the optics definitely look pretty bad, but I'm a little shocked people on an anime website are so up in arms over this. Oh no, anime art has skin lighter than real life... and the sky is blue. Look at the anime versions of the two athletes compared to the two prince of tennis characters, who I believe are Japanese, and you can see that the athletes actually do have darker skin than usual for that art. This does mirror their skin being darker than average for Japan. Is it an accurate portrayal? Hell no, not even close. However anime art has been 'white washing' characters for forever since a significant portion of Japanese characters are drawn much more pale than in reality.

I know right? Seriously it's fun to see pissed people ranting.
teferi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I could completely understand non-anime fans having issues with this because the optics definitely look pretty bad, but I'm a little shocked people on an anime website are so up in arms over this. Oh no, anime art has skin lighter than real life... and the sky is blue. Look at the anime versions of the two athletes compared to the two prince of tennis characters, who I believe are Japanese, and you can see that the athletes actually do have darker skin than usual for that art. This does mirror their skin being darker than average for Japan. Is it an accurate portrayal? Hell no, not even close. However anime art has been 'white washing' characters for forever since a significant portion of Japanese characters are drawn much more pale than in reality.

Yeah, idk how you scroll by something like this and still feign outrage. Ayame looks so pale she should go see a doctor about it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Yeah, idk how you scroll by something like this and still feign outrage. Ayame looks so pale she should go see a doctor about it.

Funny you posted that. When I read the comment above yours, it was right next to that image from the answerman column, and I was thinking the same thing. That girl is suppose to be Japanese, but she is more white than American cartoons draw their white characters. Using the same criteria that makes the Nissen ad white washed, this would be white washed as well. I'm just baffled as to how someone can stick around as an anime fan if they find 'white washing' by lightening/whitening skin tones to be so offensive.

The reaction this ad got from everyone else should have been seen coming. I wonder if Nissen just expected Japan not to care and then got shockingly huge backlash from the international community over it. Something like this is obviously not acceptable in the modern political climate of the US, but they may not consider how things will look internationally (maybe they will after this).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
This'll make sense if other Haitians (Naomi Osaka is half-Haitian - her tan-ness comes from that side) or other tan people would be drawn the same way.

If other tan people are drawn the same way, then fine.

So keep an eye out for how other tan people are drawn.

I think that's fair way.
gacha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:21 am Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:
gacha wrote:
Silly oversensitive world strikes again. Hilarious.

It doesn't hurt to be told you need to be more accurate in terms of skin color. If your attempting to portray a darker skin person but use the typical skin tone seen in most anime, being told "your off the mark" shouldn't be be wrong. I mean, which is more oversensitive? Being told you got something wrong and thus, getting offended by being told that, or a person feeling the need to correct you?

Definitely feeling the need to throw a scandal because of something like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3