• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Square Enix Convinced Disney to Make Kingdom Hearts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
I still haven’t caught up on KH like I’ve wanted to, but knowing this fascinating information will make my journey into the series even more interesting.
Goldpanner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:58 am Reply with quote
Made an account just to say: thank you for the shout out to the translators at the end. This article was making me nostalgic about not only the series but also all the interviews from over the years. So, it made me very happy to see that little note.
HikariGo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:33 am Reply with quote
Very interesting article.

By the way the note about John Lasseter was very out of place and unnecessary. This content of this article had nothing to do with anything to do with that situation.
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:51 am Reply with quote
HikariGo wrote:

By the way the note about John Lasseter was very out of place and unnecessary. This content of this article had nothing to do with anything to do with that situation.

Out of place: Debatable
Unnecessary: Yup

But as the writer, I was definitely uncomfortable with the article coming across positively towards John Lasseter and it made a good excuse to mention the other figures that will be involved in Kingdom Hearts in the future, the new heads of Disney and Pixar Animation. I wanted to clarify that he's no longer involved and he won't be involved in the future and that's why.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Utada claimed that she was underpaid by Disney for the theme songs to the first Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II

Does "underpaid" mean she was offered less than she thought it was worth and did it anyway or that they reneged on the agreed amount? This seems like something that would've been spelled out in a contract prior to doing the work, so if they broke the terms of that and paid less, it sounds like a lawsuit.
HikariGo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Does "underpaid" mean she was offered less than she thought it was worth and did it anyway or that they reneged on the agreed amount?

Most likely a royalty issues from sales of the game. Any number of ways Disney could have used creative accounting to reduce amounts owed to her.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
I suppose, but with Disney I'd expect the agreement would be a "work for hire" deal rather than a profit sharing or royalty-based one.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
Relevant meme.

Fuzzy Pickles!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Fascinating read there. Even as someone who has no interest in the franchise, it was exciting to see how this crossover managed to come together.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
HikariGo wrote:

Yeah, I agree. The article had this nice positive flow, like how they overcame all those difficulties and then that note really killed it and threw me off, leaving me with a bad taste during reading the rest.

I think it is fine and kinda related to the production, mentioning that the heads later changed, but it could've been done more subtle, like mentioning that he was replaced because of workplace harrasment allegations while linking to an article explaining the circumstances in detail. Would feel less off-topic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2