• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Japan Or America More Prudish About Sexual Content?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

The age of Federal sexual majority in the US used to be 16 (and lower historically) until 1984, where it was raised to 18 along with the drinking age to 21. We were treated as adults in high school back in my day and I remember TV shows and films up until the late 1990's treated high schoolers as the young adults they were. After all, no matter how much you change societal laws, you won't change nature's laws.

I disagree. While the "teenage brain" theory is still under contention, I don't think anyone would disagree that the way they acted and thought about the world as a 16-year-old is vastly different to how their 20-year-old self would react, and I think it's fair to extend that critique to sexuality as well. I'm not saying this to be demeaning, but there's no world were a 16-year-old is on the same footing as a typical adult, even a very young one; they simply lack the life experience (and all the screw ups that come with that) to stand on equal ground. To equate the two strikes me as misguided at best, possibly predatory at worst.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
configspace wrote:

The age of Federal sexual majority in the US used to be 16 (and lower historically) until 1984, where it was raised to 18 along with the drinking age to 21. We were treated as adults in high school back in my day and I remember TV shows and films up until the late 1990's treated high schoolers as the young adults they were. After all, no matter how much you change societal laws, you won't change nature's laws.

I'm going to call bull on this. While the "teenage brain" theory is still under contention, I don't think anyone would disagree that the way they acted and thought about the world as a 16-year-old is vastly different to how their 20-year-old self would react, and I think it's fair to extend that critique to sexuality as well. I'm not saying this to be demeaning, but there's no world were a 16-year-old is on the same footing as a typical adult, even a very young one; they simply lack the life experience (and all the screw ups that come with that) to stand on equal ground. To equate the two strikes me as misguided at best, possibly predatory at worst.

First, regarding the change in age for minors from under 16 to under 18 it was the Child Protection Act of 1984 (its history on pg 4 of the pdf, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2251-2253) Second, brain even development itself can't be used because overall, it's a lifelong continuous process, the frontal lobe actually keeps on developing until mid 30s, not mid-20's as previously thought and who knows if later discoveries may show it to keep developing, while the rest, the neurons and axons keep developing and forming new connections through life. And those connections also very relative to every person. So the only true consistent, discrete and distinct biological marker are changes related to puberty: hormonal changes and immune system and telomere development and decline.

In all of human history up until the 20th century and all of the animal kingdom, puberty marks the end of childhood and the beginning of adulthood. This you cannot change, no matter what laws you write. In modern society only the Amish still keep their tradition of 15 year olds being given responsibilities as adults. If you look back in history you'll see for example,
Henry II of England
He became actively involved by the age of 14 in his mother's efforts to claim the throne of England, then occupied by Stephen of Blois, and was made Duke of Normandy at 17
Henry III of England
Going by the dates, he was given military training in his childhood years and took reign by 9!
Richard I of England
Again, military training and responsibilities from a very young age, so much so that by age 16, he commanded his own army and fought against Saladin in the crusades

Do you think people are infants until their 18th birthday where they suddenly turn into adults? Meaningful experience as shown in the Stanford marshmallow experiment where children are allowed to make hard decisions on their own, rather than being made for them, can begin at an early age and have an impact later in life. The more you infantilize young adults as we see more and more today, the less experience they have to become adults they biologically are and the less prepared for challenges they are as they age. If anything, the issue seems to have extended into college. That already began decades ago with the drinking age extended oxymoronically and more recently with coddling of the mind.

This also begs the question of if they are not legally adults until the age of 18, then why can they be charged of crimes and even charged as adults--which is absolutely the case for 16 year olds--if they are children who cannot voluntarily make decisions on their own?

In my high-school one of my friends joined a gang--there were many wannabes but unfortunately for him, he turned to the real deal--and got killed while trying to rob a bank. Now if he is a child that means that he could not have been held responsible. Do you think the guard who shot him should've been held responsible? After all, to be logically consistent, if he can't make voluntary decisions, he can't be held responsible for his actions.

Likewise what happens when a teenage rapes an adult. If they cannot legally make voluntary decisions on their own, then how could they even be held responsible?
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure to be honest, I mean, both have different laws regarding different things they say are obscene, Japan doesn't allow genital hair or explicit genitalia (hence a lot of hentai doujins having the black bars/mosaics), but the US is more concerned with not showing any sexual things involving anyone under 18, and the way they've handled certain anime stuff in the US makes me kinda raise my eyebrows a bit (in one old hentai that got popular here they edited out most scenes of this 18 year old demon that looked like a kid naked and engaged in sexual acts, but they kept in scenes of two 16 year old girls, but changed their ages to be 19 in the US version...which makes me raise my eyebrows considering if you see the Japanese version, they're still 16, how did the US manage to let that slide if supposedly I've heard aging characters up like that can be immoral/illegal? I'm not claiming to be some expert or something, just saying what I think Shocked)

Also count me as one of those people who was sheltered from this stuff until I turned 16-17 (learned about it in high school).
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:04 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
crosswithyou wrote:
This hasn't been mentioned anywhere but since it's been in the news lately, convenience stores in Japan can sell adult magazines in the open on the regular magazine racks

Soon not anymore the major chains

That's why I said "since it's been in the news lately."
Gotta also point out that it's not going away because it's becoming illegal; the stores are voluntarily removing them. The reason why they were able to sell them out in the open in the first place is because of the reasons I wrote in my post.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
[Thu 24 Jan 2019 11:17 am ET; p. 3 of the thread]
Quote:
Historically, there's no question that America, with our societal underpinnings in Christian Puritanism, is the more buttoned-up country sexually.

I would note that most historians would call this a gross misunderstanding of both Puritanism and the influence of Puritanism in early American culture, and generally comes from significantly later depictions that are roughly equivalent to how an edgy teenager describes his parents.

I've heard, but can not substantiate, that the modern "puritanical" movement originated with Methodism. Citations, anyone?

Sailor Sedna wrote:
[Fri 25 Jan 2019 01:04 am; p. 4 of the thread] I'm not sure to be honest, I mean, both have different laws regarding different things they say are obscene, Japan doesn't allow genital hair or explicit genitalia (hence a lot of hentai doujins having the black bars/mosaics)

Actually, pubic hair has been (mostly) legal since 1991. See Joaquín da Silva's "Obscenity and Article 175 of the Japanese Penal Code: A Short Introduction to Japanese Censorship", which is linked to in the "Further reading" section the Wikipedia article "Censorship in Japan".
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
I am agreed 100% with configspace here.

And let's not forget another important angle: it is ludicrous to expect all people to mature and the exact same rate. Just as how some of us are taller than others, or heavier than others, or have different hair, skin, eyes, etc....some of us mature faster than others--both in terms of physical puberty, and also emotional maturity.

There are adults in their 30's who lack the emotional maturity to handle a sexual relationship. And likewise there are people who are younger than some arbitrary age of consent who can. Expecting that all human beings magically flip a switch from "immature" to "mature" on the eve of their Nth birthday is horribly narrowminded. There are people who flipped the "mature" switch years before, and there are people who won't switch it for decades later, if they do so at all.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

First, regarding the change in age for minors from under 16 to under 18 it was the Child Protection Act of 1984 (its history on pg 4 of the pdf, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2251-2253) Second, brain even development itself can't be used because overall, it's a lifelong continuous process, the frontal lobe actually keeps on developing until mid 30s, not mid-20's as previously thought and who knows if later discoveries may show it to keep developing, while the rest, the neurons and axons keep developing and forming new connections through life. And those connections also very relative to every person. So the only true consistent, discrete and distinct biological marker are changes related to puberty: hormonal changes and immune system and telomere development and decline.

In all of human history up until the 20th century and all of the animal kingdom, puberty marks the end of childhood and the beginning of adulthood. This you cannot change, no matter what laws you write. In modern society only the Amish still keep their tradition of 15 year olds being given responsibilities as adults. If you look back in history you'll see for example,
Henry II of England
He became actively involved by the age of 14 in his mother's efforts to claim the throne of England, then occupied by Stephen of Blois, and was made Duke of Normandy at 17
Henry III of England
Going by the dates, he was given military training in his childhood years and took reign by 9!
Richard I of England
Again, military training and responsibilities from a very young age, so much so that by age 16, he commanded his own army and fought against Saladin in the crusades

Do you think people are infants until their 18th birthday where they suddenly turn into adults? Meaningful experience as shown in the Stanford marshmallow experiment where children are allowed to make hard decisions on their own, rather than being made for them, can begin at an early age and have an impact later in life. The more you infantilize young adults as we see more and more today, the less experience they have to become adults they biologically are and the less prepared for challenges they are as they age. If anything, the issue seems to have extended into college. That already began decades ago with the drinking age extended oxymoronically and more recently with coddling of the mind.

This also begs the question of if they are not legally adults until the age of 18, then why can they be charged of crimes and even charged as adults--which is absolutely the case for 16 year olds--if they are children who cannot voluntarily make decisions on their own?

In my high-school one of my friends joined a gang--there were many wannabes but unfortunately for him, he turned to the real deal--and got killed while trying to rob a bank. Now if he is a child that means that he could not have been held responsible. Do you think the guard who shot him should've been held responsible? After all, to be logically consistent, if he can't make voluntary decisions, he can't be held responsible for his actions.

Likewise what happens when a teenage rapes an adult. If they cannot legally make voluntary decisions on their own, then how could they even be held responsible?

I disagree. While royalty married young, those were largely political and on paper (just look at the birth dates of their sons). Similarly, the "involvement" you mention was either symbolic or education, in the same was gym class could be characterized as early military training.

Rabbinic sources stretching from the Talmud to today and Babylon to France all peg the ideal age for marriage at eighteen (the famous thirteen is when someone is punished for his transgressions instead of his parents), although Mizrahi sources also say to force your son into an arranged marriage if he hasn't found anyone by 20. Given the view Judaism takes on extramarital sex, it's safe to assume these were also the ideals taken toward sexual initiation.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
Keep it civil folks. There's no need to "call bullshit" on anyone. Just say you disagree with them and don't be rude. We are also not turning this into a debate on when people should be allowed to be sexually active. One or two posts are coming dangerously close to suggesting some unsavory ideas to put it mildly.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:

I disagree. While royalty married young, those were largely political and on paper (just look at the birth dates of their sons). Similarly, the "involvement" you mention was either symbolic or education, in the same was gym class could be characterized as early military training.

You're right about a lot of the things that Royalty did being "on paper only", but there are plenty of other historical sources which show similar things that have little to do with royalty. For example, I am involved in the antique business, and part of that is doing your homework on the history of the items involved. I recall doing research on the English firms of George Wostenholm as well as Joseph Rodgers & Sons a couple of years ago. There are freely available census records from the time, as well as documentation from old books (Victorian England, in this case) which show that many of the supervisory positions at their factories were run by teenagers. One woman, aged 16, was listed as a "foreman" for Wostenholm and was recorded as having two children. There were multiple female employees younger than the age of 20 with children, often multiple children. Other supervisory roles were given to employees as young as 12 or 13. Workers in factories making flatware, silverplate goods, and pocket knives were not exactly royalty (that was a dirty, dangerous job), and these were highly competitive demanding jobs at the time.

That's just an example I happened to come across; I'm sure if you look you will find many, many more.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
@doc-watson42
Oh, I see, thanks for letting me know.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
You know, I really hate that 1Up.com went under because a number of years ago one of its correspondents wrote a really nice column concerning content in Japanese video games and their "acceptedness" in Japan. Long story short: it's important to remember that the content in anime is, by and large, content from a very niche medium in Japan and much of what we're steeped in isn't at all mainstream. For all that we joke about in anime, it's really easy to forget that this stuff is still kinda weird for people not used to it. At its lightest, it's just kinda weird what with its fixation on boobs. At its worst, it's really awkward (be it in an anime or a Green Lantern comic, girls with adult bodies but the mind of a child is awkward).

So, no matter how you slice it, it's probably for the best to remember this stuff isn't ordinary by any means necessary, and pretending that Japan is some wacky perv-party because of their panty vending machines is some orientalist shenanigans. We've all got our hang-ups, they're just shaped kinda different.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:47 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
be it in an anime or a Green Lantern comic, girls with adult bodies but the mind of a child is awkward

Not half as awkward as the other way around.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:48 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
@doc-watson42
Oh, I see, thanks for letting me know.

You're welcome. Again, if you (or anyone else) finds something more substantial, let me know.

"Victorian era" § "Morality" is a bit of what I'm thinking of.

Sahmbahdeh wrote:
configspace wrote:

The age of consent in the United States is set at the state and local level, there are no federal laws governing age of consent specifically. Furthermore, the most common age of consent in the US is 16, and in only 11 states is the age of consent actually 18. I don't know where this notion that the US has an age of consent of 18 comes from; maybe it's been popularized by Hollywood movies, because California is one of those 11 states where the age of consent is 18.

See Wikipedia's "Ages of consent in the United States", and the links in its "See also" section.

Bringing this back closer to the topic, see also Wikipedia's "Sexuality in Japan" article (some images are NSFW).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:

The Japanese government just forbade 7/11 in Japan from selling adult or pornographic material, magazines, etc.

If you're talking about the recent news about major combini stores (not just 7/11), then the J-government did no such thing.

It's a voluntary decision from the major chains - an economic decision (they believe they'll earn more revenue from more families and foreigners than they'll lose from getting rid of the pr0n mags - which in the age of the internet now make up only 1% of their revenues, so they didn't really have much to lose).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4