• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nissin Pulls Cup Noodle/Prince of Tennis Ads After White-Washing Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
From a Yahoo news article:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tennis-osaka-sponsor-withdraws-controversial-commercial-020119792--mlb.html

Quoted from Naomi Osaka:
"I don't think they did it on purpose to be, like, whitewashing or anything. But I definitely think that the next time they try to portray me or something, I feel like they should talk to me about it."
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Y'know I'm getting tired of this all this "whitewashing" crap. And you got nuts over hear worrying about what is going on over there and they DON'T LIVE THERE. But I do know that Japan still has an issue when it comes to darker skin pigments in certain characters. But I don't really understand why this keeps happening when they have portrayed racial ambiguous or "darker" skinned (Dutch, Sherry Cromwell, Shayla Shayla, Luffy, etc...) characters in shows in the past. The other problem is when they portray "said" character then all of a sudden "lighten" the character from what it was originally (*cough-cough*...Casca). It makes no sense. Japan is already aware of certain things (and yes they still see themselves as homogeneous like other cultures around the world) and there shouldn't be an reason for mistakes like this.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I find odd the design choice of color, they hace used darker colors just to represent people from Okinawa or Archer from fate, so it’s not like they couldn’t do it, it’s very odd.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
They got the hair wrong too - it's like the animators didn't even look at a picture of Naomi

Here's Naomi's comments:

"For me, it's obvious, I'm tan... I don't think they did it on purpose to be, like, whitewashing or anything."

"But I definitely think that the next time they try to portray me or something, I feel like they should talk to me about it."

Nissin spokesman Daisuke Okabayashi said the company "confirmed with Ms. Osaka and her team utilizing the original drawings for the campaign" through her management agency, IMG Japan.

But the U.S. parent of the agency asked Nissin to delete the films saying the contents had not been shared with IMG USA, according to Okabayashi.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Kokuryu Daimao wrote:
Never mind that by causing all this uproar and forcing NissIn to remove the ad, an ad that was geared to a Japanese audience, they are in fact diminishing Naomi Osaka's exposure to Japan. Exposure that could have been used to bridge the xenophobic intolerance that all these people are complaining about.

Wouldn't it have been better to get the Japanese population to rally behind Naomi Osaka, accept her as one of their own, then when the fact that her skin tone is actually darker than the Animated depiction, they would be more inclined to accept others like her and eventually realize that skin tone and biracial heritage are not a big deal.

I think this is an interesting point because this largely seems to be getting viewed by users here as it relates to minorities in the US, and I'm not sure the situation with non-Japanese in Japan should be approached the same as the situation with minorities here. It is kind of hard to get accepted in Japan if you aren't 100% Japanese. Having famous biracial individuals accepted and treated as 'Japanese' as a citizen instead of 'Japanese' as an ethnicity seems like a potentially reasonable step towards reducing discrimination against those not 100% ethnically Japanese. On the other hand, constantly having it publicly stated 'they're not the same as us' seems like it would only serve to reinforce existing xenophobic conditions. Fitting in is much more important in Japanese society (not even talking race but just general actions), and making it much harder to fit in may just make the situation worse. The US on the other hand is more supportive of individualism, and more directly confronting the issue seems potentially more appropriate as a solution here especially since a big issue here is behind the scenes racism which needs to be directly addressed.

Hellfish wrote:
I find odd the design choice of color, they hace used darker colors just to represent people from Okinawa or Archer from fate, so it’s not like they couldn’t do it, it’s very odd.

Sure, but should they really draw Okinawans differently? Anime often depicts them as Japan's equivalent to hicks. A lot of the time this seems more like discrimination for being 'not Japanese' than trying to properly represent their culture.

I'd also point out that if you compare the two darker skinned tennis players to the two PoT characters, they do have darker skin so they did use darker tones like in your Fate Stay Night example.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
They hate hafu people. There was a lot of backlash when Miyamoto Ariana represented Japan in Miss Universe. Ironic that a country where the birth rate is dropping like a rock, they're still so hung up on "racial purity." No wonder their history is what it is.

I'm going to chime in here as what you've written is incorrect in regards to them hating hafu. If you watch any mainstream Japanese new or morning TV program like Mezamashite or Tokudane, they put Naomi Osaka up on a pedestal like any other celeb / star athlete in their country. Even though she's barely spent any of her life in Japan growing up and can't even speak the language, they treat her like she's one of their citizens because she has dual US and Japanese citizenship. Of course that may all change once she is supposed to / expected to choose her citizenship at 22 years of age.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
This'll make sense if other Haitians (Naomi Osaka is half-Haitian - her tan-ness comes from that side) or other tan people would be drawn the same way.

If other tan people are drawn the same way, then fine.

So keep an eye out for how other tan people are drawn.

I think that's fair way.

Naomi Osaka hired IMG (USA, the parent company) to represent her. Their first and foremost duty is for the best interests of their client. If it's her best interest to be not involved in a controversy, then they would do whatever they can to do that. The interests of Japanese culture does not supersede that job.

Just tough luck for Nissin - Naomi is IMG's client, not Nissin. Naomi is their priority.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3