• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100 II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Mob Psycho 100 has always been a show that made sure to never get too dark or sad. No one dies, and even darker topics are usually handled in a lighthearted way, like it kind of glosses over the fact that one episode has a pedophile stalking a park and exposing himself to children. (Of course maybe that was the point, that we as a society often gloss over the worst parts of humanity for our own comfort) So the latest episode was a real rug pulled out from under us moment. If it doesn't turn out to be a fake-out I will applaud the show for so successfully lulling us into a falsest sense of security ever experienced by anime watchers.

On Reigen, I love that he is incredibly morally gray. (Is that why he always wears a gray suit? Symbolismmmmm) As consumers of media we're used to being able to put a story's characters in a "good" or "bad" box and I think characters like Reigen can be confusing because he's not either. He's scummy and selfish, but his actions also genuinely help people. Yes Reigen uses Mob but he also never hesitated to step in and help Mob when he was overwhelmed or frustrated. He more accurately represents humanity as a whole than pretty much any show I've ever watched, and I love that about him.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
If it doesn't turn out to be a fake-out I will applaud the show for so successfully lulling us into a falsest sense of security ever experienced by anime watchers.

Conversely, I will be super ambivalent at this point if it pulls the ol' "Ah, just kidding. Here's this silly reason it looked like that. But we could never actually do that!" switcheroo. Quickly makes it hard to take similar events seriously in the rest of the story.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Next week can't come soon enough. I don't remember this arc of Mob Psycho very well (only the end of it) and there's not much we can talk about for now other than "wow".
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
"Honestly, I'm still in too much shock to give this episode a proper rating."

This tbh, I have no words tbh omg
Haru Hana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
As a manga reader I have to give Bones my highest praise because ending episode 8 in THAT scene is the boldest, cruelest, riskiest possible move from them. There are some ways to end the episode: end it when Ritsu open the door, or cut out the Tsubomi part (because it's just an omake that happened way latter in the manga) and adapt the event after, or stop at the end of chapter 75: Mob seeing the smoke from afar and his percentage suddenly jump up. But NO, let end a wholesome and cute and fun episode where everyone cheer for Mob in the middle of chapter 76 and left anime-only dry for a whole week. What ONE did in chapter 75 is a little mean but not "that" bad because the readers still have no idea what will happened. But the anime is just pure torture. I feel bad for anime-only, but at the same time kinda wish I haven't read the manga so I can experience this arc for the first time.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
This review sums up just about all of my thoughts on this episode perfectly. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" as a rating could not be more appropriate. I can't wait for next week!
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:33 am Reply with quote
Have I mentioned that Mob Psycho 100 is a masterpiece yet? Because it is a masterpiece and Bones is absolutely nailing it with this adaptation.

What a perfect and utterly devastating endpoint. This episode really didn't pull that punch. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" indeed.
rtil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:52 am Reply with quote
every element of mob psycho II is a cut above most anime. the directing, animation, writing, character development... it's really something special. treasure these days that you have to look forward to a new episode every week, because a series like this only comes along so often.
Neromon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:37 am Reply with quote
I really hope it's a fake-out. I don't care if it means this episode is bad for manipulating the audience, I need my boy Mob to be happy.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
ThrowMeOut wrote:
If it doesn't turn out to be a fake-out I will applaud the show for so successfully lulling us into a falsest sense of security ever experienced by anime watchers.

Conversely, I will be super ambivalent at this point if it pulls the ol' "Ah, just kidding. Here's this silly reason it looked like that. But we could never actually do that!" switcheroo. Quickly makes it hard to take similar events seriously in the rest of the story.
I do not want Mobs family to die, but I too would hate for this to be a fake out, after going to such extreme lengths, I feel there is noway you can undo this without damaging the story.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Poor Mob... no one gives him some slack Sad
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:05 pm Reply with quote
After several weekends of being away, I finally caught up with the last three episodes yesterday and I'm with you all. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"!!!!!!!!!!
Axbox360

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Even if you thought the fake deaths was cheap at least you know how Mob feels. Being tricked to think his family was dead. And still has no house.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, assuming this season will get to the end of the manga, the last four episodes will probably feel as rushed as this week's. It's hard fo find room for the artistic flourishes and experimentation this show is known for when you've got so much material to cover in just a few episodes.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
At least they revealed that it was a fake out early on. As for this arc, it feels like it has only just began, so will this season be 2 cours or will there be a cliffhanger ending which they will continue in season 3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7