• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100 II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I didn't find this episode lacking in any way. But then, if it's well done I don't automatically deduct points just for being a table-setting episode, like so many reviewers do.
Quote:
Leave it to a serial liar like Reigen to accidently nail the truth, that their deaths were staged in order to protect them from the impending Claw attack. ... Still, that makes their “deaths” a pretty cheap trick on the audience, and last week's cliffhanger feels extra exploitative now.

I don't feel exploited or manipulated because as Axbox360 said, we were in this along with Mob, who didn't know they were safe, and also didn't have the outside perspective of guessing which side the author would land on. I.e., given how upsetting it was even while knowing it's fiction and being familiar with its author, you at least get a taste of how devastating it was for Mob not knowing for sure what happened to his family. If he just came home to find it burning and them gone, the viewers wouldn't have felt the same sense of omg, no! Shocked.

I loved that Reigen totally got the scenario right, which is going to score big points with Mob's trust in him. Which I'm going to just say is a good thing, despite Reigen's shadiness. Smile

I'm also intrigued by the set up that we seem to have a direct confrontation brewing between the master/apprentice tag teams of light side Reigen/Mob and the dark side Toichiro Suzuki/Serisawa. Heck Suzuki even kinda looks like a dark-palette Reigen. Smile
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed in the cheap, fleeting emotional manipulation, but still enjoying the show. The action in the latest episode was beautifully explosive and dynamic; they're doing a decent job building up the rest of Claw as a genuine threat (to non-Mob's, anyway).

Last edited by NeverConvex on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChestPains

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I think the only problem with this (and something I've been worrying about since the halfway point) is that there's too much to cram in these last few episodes.
The feeling of urgency from everything happening out of nowhere partnered with Sho (and everyone's) reactions to the cartoony world domination plot perfectly exemplify how even the most ridiculous threat is still a threat.

I will say though, that this arc goes very differently compared to the first Claw arc, so anyone worrying about it being a retread can safely chill out.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
The Claw arc was absolutely the worst part of the first season except for when Reigen stormed in, so I'm hoping this turns out better. I already like one of the villains at least, whereas all of them in the first season were just background noise.
Haru Hana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda hurt to see there are so many controversy opinions about episode 9. Despite the fast as hell pacing I ironically enjoy this episode more than episode 4. The animation this week definitely took a step back (compare to Mob's ridiculous high standard btw. Bones spoiled us too much), but I believe the reason is they need to save time and money and their finest talented animators for the climax episode of this season. The biggest fight of this arc is the most epic fight of the whole series. I have my trust on Bones. This arc may start a bit boring, but when we go into the meat of this arc it will have nothing but hype and wholesome moments.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:46 am Reply with quote
We are supposed to feel manipulated because that's exactly what happened to Mob! But if you've paid any attention to the show and its themes before, i find it hard to believe you'd really expect Mob's family to get killed off...ONE might let Mob go through painful times in order to grow but he would never break him like that. This series is all about empathy after all.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Luckily, he's also aided by a Dimple-ex-machina, but in the end it's his painstakingly-honed muscles that win over Shibata's psychically enhanced ones, in parallel to Mob's own efforts. There are no shortcuts when it comes to improving yourself.

This is by far one of my favorite moments from the series. It's really simple but the message is very clear.

Yet another amazing episode but watching it now I feel like the Ultimate 5 are pretty different than Claw's division from S1.
Last season's division was mostly comprised of people who were outcasts who only had their esper power to rely on, but the Ultimate 5 looks like mostly competent people in their personal lives who still have the same childish ideals.

That's definitely the biggest difference from the Boss to the old guy from last season, since Boss thought of himself as superior from the start, while old guy thought he was superior only because of his powers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Reigen, once again The Only Adult In The Room

When you think about it, it's really hilarious how Reigen has found himself in the position of shepherding a bunch of teenagers and some younger adults who actually look to him for guidance. I'm pretty sure it's not a role he ever envisioned for himself.

The other odd thing is that he has such a firm picture in his head of how adults should be, which, though often counter to his own shady dealings and immaturity, makes me wonder what his relationship with his father was like.

I noticed Serizawa wears Crocs because of course he does. Very Happy
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
The one aspect of the Shimazaki fight I didn't really like was how they never actually seemed to be doing damage to anyone. Everyone was fine the moment Shimazaki decided to stop, Shimazaki himself was fine after the beat down, and a lot of characters who didn't really seem to have any outstanding durability just took everything like champs despite getting pummeled several times.

Aside from that the episode was pretty much perfect.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to appreciate our boy Takeuchi! Who would've thought he's actually so badass?! Props to this guy he's the best ex-claw esper (aside from black hole ossan I guess)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The answer is Reigen, who steals the entire episode with the sheer beauty of his Self-Defense Rush.

Omg, Reigen's enter stage right is the best thing I've ever seen. And the explanation for his attack name. Laughing I couldn't stop lmao all the way until Shimazaki ran away.

I also loved how quickly Sho dispatched the drone user. I was expecting a fight, but nope - bam! - suplexed him right out of the story.

Actually, all the amazing animation is almost too much for me, and can get a little overwhelming. That's not the show's fault though. They still get full marks from me.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The animation in episode 11 was fantastic but I feel like they rushed through a bunch in this episode.
LoopyChew
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote
Self-Defense Rush is one of the greatest comedy subversions in anime ever. Totally unexpected, logically explainable, hilarious AF.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
And after all this is over Sho starts up his own Oden stand.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I will say this about Mob Psycho. Compared to what i'm seeing from Index III, Mob Psycho is far more creative in terms of application of powers, effects work, animation and presentation.

I like the Serizawa thing. I don't even need to be as drastic as radicalization or lost generation, it's simply a thing about good people led astray and empathy being the key to helping them. Top it off with the burn against the big bad and i say Mob is wise beyond his years and fun to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7